The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time Reply with quote

Yeah, another list to debate and rip apart. :)

Long story short: Back in 1998, VH1 polled a number of musicians about who they believed were the best music artists of all time. This year, they did it again.

Link to the 2010 list, complete with commentary from the blogger: http://www.rnbmusicblog.com/vh1-100-greatest-artists-of-all-time/16282/

And for reference, here's the 1998 list: http://budugllydesign.com/archiveow/top100/vh1-100.htm

There are certain to be a lot of things that make you raise your eyebrows with both lists, but I'll comment generally:

* No artist who debuted in the year 2000 or later should make such a list because we have no way of measuring their long-term impact. The question of how great an artist is should include the influence they have had over many years... I'm talking about how their music is looked at 20, 30, even 40 years after they debuted.

* An artist's overall influence needs to be considered. That doesn't mean just how many top singles they had, but the impact they had on song writing, producing, techniques, etc.

* Artists shouldn't simply be dismissed because they are part of a particular genre, but don't go overboard with it. I'm fine with a rap artist or two going into the top 100, but those artists should be those who helped draw more attention to it. In other words, it's fine to argue for LL Cool J but not Eminem.

* And on that note, don't go ignoring a certain genre just because it doesn't generate a buzz on the pop charts. Johnny Cash belongs in the top 100, but I could probably name one or two other country artists who deserve a spot. And where in the hell is a jazz/light music artist like Frank Sinatra?

* I'd avoid putting an artist down both as a solo artist and as an act with the band. They did this on the 1998 list with Sting and The Police both making it, then did it on the 2010 list with Paul McCartney and The Beatles. Personally, I think Paul needs to be kept with The Beatles as a "package deal" on such a list, and if you put The Police in your top 100, Sting goes into the "package" as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: