The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1' Reply with quote

I saw 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1' last night & I think I wasn't the only one with 24 million taken in. It didn't seem like a very good movie to me. For the most part it was boring with all the fun taken out of it. I have seen all of them, but I forget much of them between movies, and I don't read the books. It was dull with the action coming in short fast cuts. It has every major English actor of the last 20 years in it but none are in it for more than a few minutes, some have no lines. It seems it was a just a payday for most of them. The Special effects looked like bad CG. But there was so many and they were cut in short bursts, that you couldn't tell. It was a drag to sit thru & I'm not going to watch it again. It just ends up being a promo for the next film &, from this, I have very little hope for it.

Potter is supposed to be the savior & a badass but all he does is run and the girl is the smart one. Didn't he learn anything in school. If he had skills, he would use his powers to fight off the bad guys. This film should have resolved some of the situation with one of the major bad guys. But nothing important happens. Large parts of it is Harry & the girl sitting in the woods depressed.

I can't believe that the public is going to get behind this film when so many good films get so little support. UNSTOPPABLE is a good action film & it isn't going to make money.

The last book should have been cut into one movie. They are just draging it out to make money.

So it's a boring mess. **1/3.

I can't wait to hear people defend it.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wasn't really a "bad ass" in books. He's suppose to be conflicted, unsure of himself, full of doubt. That some of the difference between him and what Voldemort would have been when younger: Volde *was* a bad ass, enjoyed it, lusted after it, etc.

And the girl always was the smart one. I tended to get bored with the books in the middle of the series when I didn't think JKR did a good job using her in that role.

First two books were good for the genre. I thought it started tipping in Book 3 though there were some good things in it. Then went off the cliff with Book 4 and bounced off the bottom in Book 5.

On the other hand, my guess is that the movie is going to be what most of the fans of the books want. Splitting the book into two movies for their last taste of HP probably works for them.

John

John
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they cut almost nothing out of the first 3/4 of the book.

Unfortunately, almost nothing happens in the first 3/4 of the book so you couldn't tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: