The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gridiron Gang
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion King's numbers shouldn't be read into as a sign of Rock's drawing power. The Mummy franchise has more to do with it.

What is really hurting Rock is at least two of the movies he's had the lead role in, "Walking Tall" and "Doom," likely signaled to many people that they weren't going to be good movies to begin with (I know I felt that way about both).

And "Spy Hunter" hasn't even seen the light of day yet. Makes you wonder if it's headed straight to DVD.

Anyway, Rock should probably stick to supporting roles in comedy for the time being to see if he can establish himself there. He's been stuck with "B" movie material for two action movies already, which means his chances of becoming an action movie draw are slim to none, unless Rock can overcome the weaknesses of the films so overwhelmingly that people will watch them regardless of those weaknesses.

But in the action movie genre, Rock hasn't been able to do that. Hence why I say it would be better for him to try another genre and go to supporting roles to build himself there.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
And "Spy Hunter" hasn't even seen the light of day yet. Makes you wonder if it's headed straight to DVD.

"Spy Hunter" hasn't even begun filming. More than a half dozen writers have been involved with the project, but apparently none of them has been able to produce a compelling script from a video game less iconic and less complicated than "Doom." Stuart Beattie of "Pirates" fame wrote the latest script. John Woo originally signed on to direct "Spy Hunter", but last year he abandoned the project. The Rock had pimped "Spy Hunter" with platitudes like "It's such a special movie conceptually. It's so cool with the car. And you're the hunter of spies", but after the failure of "Doom", the Rock said "A lot of times the successful videogame doesn't always equate to a successful movie. It all comes down to the writing."

Frank
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank_Jewett wrote:
Stuart Beattie of "Pirates" fame wrote the latest script.

Beattie isn't much of Pirates fame. Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio get the overwhelming credit for the writing of the movie(s). Beattie had some involvement in the original story elements, but what was thought of his contribution can be pretty clearly seen in his role in the last two movies.

Granted... the first movie was far better, so perhaps he contributed the "good stuff". :) But Elliott & Rossio tend to get the writing fame from it.

Beattie is largely known for the Collateral script, and hasn't had much success otherwise.

Quote:
John Woo originally signed on to direct "Spy Hunter", but last year he abandoned the project.

Woo is about ready to work on a movie based on part of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel, which as far as a movie to be based on must seem like Prime Rib to him compared to the Dog Food of Spy Hunter.

On of the ironies as well is that he also was/is working on a video game built around Chow Yun-Fat's character from "Tequila" from Hard Boiled. So making a video game interested him more than making Rock's video game based movie. :)

Speaking of Chow and Woo, what Rock *really* needs is a Hard Boiled or A Better Tomorrow.

And as another digression, I always thought a good project for Woo would be to remake Hard Boiled set in US in a city with a major Chinese population. Either the LA or SF Chinatown communities. Move Chow into the "Alan" role played so well by Tony Leung as the cop inside the mob. I think that Woo could pull a strong performance out of Bruce Willis in the "Tequila" role. Hell, if I were Willis, I would have gone to Woo to pitch Die Hard Boiled with the "Tequila" role morphed into John McClane. :P

I am serious on the remake, including Willis. Not serious and just riffing on the McClane element, though it is a hook that is most likely to do box office.

John
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, Rock's Spy Hunter video game came out last week. I haven't cared enough to even look anything up about it, any idea if Woo was involved with it?

-Chad
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks for Gridiron Gang if I'm not mistaken, and $34 million as of Wednesday.

To put that into better perspective, Jackass Two has pulled in $55.3 million in two weeks.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's going to get to around $40M. That's an improvement on Doom's bombing $28M, but short of the $46-$48M that The Rundown and Walking Tall did. I don't think Gridiron Gang has another $12M left in the tank to get to $46M, expecially with the Fall Box Office season kicking up now.

Jackass 2 will finish over $70M, while the first one did $64M. At this same point, Jackass 1 has $45M in the tank and made another $19M. Jackass 2 may not have another $19M in the tank given how the movies are increasingly frontloaded and 2 is trailing slightly behind 1 in most of the % declines for the second well. But it does look to have $15M left.

BoxOfficeMojo projects The Departed at $27.3M, Texas Chainsaw Massacre at $16.3M, and Open Season to pull in $15.3M on its second weekend. It's amazing that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake pulled in a $28M opening weekend and $80.5 over its lifetime.

John
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
It's amazing that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake pulled in a $28M opening weekend and $80.5 over its lifetime.

It's amazing that the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" has gone from being a cult phenomenon to being a revered, genre defining film. I keep hearing that when people saw the original, they thought it was "real" because it was shot in gritty fashion like a documentary.

WTF?!

The original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was shot in amateurish fashion as it stumbled from one implausible scene to the next. It looked like a real film school project (and a bad one at that) as opposed to an actual movie. It was no more credible than "Motel Hell", a movie which had a more interesting storyline and more laughs.

Frank
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motel Hell is one of the better slasher movies ever. A really good spoof of the genre.

Agreed that the original TCM was a dogshit movie.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: