The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rock's return to the WWE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cena/Rock vs Corre is the next battle, why do you think they were thrown out there at the end?
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about that. The Corre were treated as geeks with a comical attack that went awry. They might have a match next pay per view or down the road but I cant see them pissing the Rocks return on a possible squash like that.

Unless they're going to do a setup ala Michaels/Hogan with tag team matches only to have Cena swerve ala Michaels.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of an interesting concept:

Nothing Cena does between now and then matters, because the Big Match is with Rock next Mania

I'm not sure they're thinking of it in those terms. Arguably a great group of storywriters can come up with stuff for Cena to do to occupy that time... and fill the product. But they're kind of hit and miss on that stuff.

I'm not exactly against trying to make a crapload of money on Mania next year with that match. But I'm wondering what advantage there is in announcing it *now*. Is there hope that Rock is going to talk about it in every interview between now and then?

I'd really be interested in knowing how much cash they're tossing at Rock. Given his movie career, he really don't need a $1M or two.

John
kjh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty clear he's not doing it for the money, but because performing in front of a live crowd again has given him the itch to do another match. You could see at Mania, he was loving having such a huge live crowd in the palm of his hand while cutting a basic promo.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cena is either going to get hurt or they will job him all year to set up mania...like they did with Taker.---Yohe
Rian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corre vs Rock/Cena at Summer Slam or more likely Survivor Series. Like John said, nothing that Cena does now means anything because of the match already announced. Rock and Cena both need to show that they can trust each other, other than a blow-off little mini battle...before the actual buildup to Entertainmania which would occur after the tag match in which one of them beats the crap out of the other (Cena over Rock IMO) to drive home the "I don't like you but I do respect you" angle again.
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock/Cena tag match is the perfect way to do it.

It's how they set up Hogan-Savage and Hogan-Warrior two years in a row.

Of course those drew 11-plus rating for The Main Event and a SNME, so the impact will be far less on a PPV drawing 300,000 or so buys.

I'm far more annoyed about them setting up a HHH/Taker rematch for no goddamn reason.

Jagdip
DalyCityTrain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they've already announced Rock vs. Cena for next year's Mania, they could build up the prestige by having Cena put up his match against The Rock in PPV matches against HHH and Taker, and have Cena go over those two, establishing him as a real #1 going into the big match at Mania. Sort of the opposite tact from jobbing him before the big win. I mean, since they're already treating The Rock as bigger than their biggest stars, might as well push this as Cena's elevation to legend status. Get some residual benefit for your supposed franchise guy.

I know using a potential match like a title to be contested sounds a little silly, but they've done it with MitB and Rumble winners in the past.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing about naming Rock-Cena a year in advance is that it actually affects four matches:

Who will be in the WWE title match? Not Cena.

Who will be in the World title match? Not Cena.

Who will wrestle the Undertaker for 20-0? Not Cena.

Obviously the WWE has a year to come up with the 5 names to fill these slots. (Trip probably has his eye on the last one.) But still.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going backwards from one of the things Jeremy mentioned:

Who will win the Royal Rumble? Not Cena.

That is if the Rumble is for a title shot.

John
Kronos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:

John

If he has another good year and stays healthy, it's probably time to pull the trigger on Punk in the Rumble. The guy has now had two really solid Mania matches -- with two different kinds of opponents. Plus he gets great crowd response. He's more ready for the main event at Mania than Miz was (and I like Miz).

But back to topic: I am skeptical that in today's era, Vince can keep a year-long build going. Too many things change - people get hurt, crowd fancy shifts. I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that the Hogan/Savage feud was not announced a year in advance. It just worked out that they kept the heat going that long.
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I rather see Punk feud with Austin. Yeah I know that sounds ridiclous, but Austin was hinting at a possble "one last match" in various interviews. Not to mention he was at his most physical in years on RAW with Riley. Perhaps he does have one last match in him, and I would like to see him put over Punk. Mainly because that would be a killer feud and something that'll bring out the best in Punk due to their obvious differences regarding alcohol.

But that is a problem though. Next year's mania has Rock/Cena already. And probably Trips/Taker. if Austin somehow returns, the main events if they're not about the championships, are already filled. There's very little room for main events. Which is why I'll never get the decision to overdo MITB at a separate PPV and move it from Mania where it wouldve put over perhaps a new face or two.
Rian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:

John

Actually, would make more sense for Cena to win the Rumble, either battle the Rock for the title shot or be teamed up with the Rock (Rock in Cena's corner or even reffing the match vs someone who wants the title shot).

This is of course if the Rock is sticking around every few weeks or if he's gone for quite awhile.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Rock vs Cena at Mania, so it can't be:

* Cena wins Rumble for shot at title at Mania

* Rock vs Cena at Mania for a shot at the title TBD

Just doesn't add up.

John
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger problem I see is that, if Austin does return for one more match, it's a WM basically being anchored by four guys whose peak period dates back to the Attitude Era... or if you prefer, the Monday Night Wars era and the year the InVasion angle took place.

Rock, Taker and HHH are already penciled in. Now you add Austin?

I know we've reached the point where the WWE name and the Wrestlemania name sell themselves, but who have they got to anchor the company besides Cena, who may have peaked out by this point?

WWE better figure out who they want to build the company around. The Attitude Era top guys have reached the end of what they have to give... Rock being the exception, both because he's younger and he didn't stick around as much as the others did.

Regardless, the company can't just keep clinging to their Attitude Era guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: