The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Macho Man
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: RIP Macho Man Reply with quote

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

John
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tragic. :(
corrado

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sad. Very very sad. One of my favorites and someone who can not only have a classic match, but also cut an amazing promo. He wasnt the best at promos but his were one of the most memorable.

Hopefully the WWE comes to their senses and inducts him into the HOF next year. it really is sad that he never got his goodbye with the WWE. Which makes you think about those rumors about him and Vince.

Just a very sad day.
Rian

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Macho Man. Loved the ring bell attack on Steamboat way back when to setup WM III.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rian wrote:
RIP Macho Man. Loved the ring bell attack on Steamboat way back when to setup WM III.

Yes.

I was listening to some old Cornette YouTube vids from his podcast on how writers like Ferrara and Russo have scared off most females from watching wrestling and IIRC, he talked about how the ladies in the crowds would throw their purses at a heel if they beat up on Ricky Morton badly enough.

I started to remember Savage attacking Steamboat with the ring bell. I think I was 9 years old at the time, but I remember the girls in my class really upset over it. We knew it was 'fake', but it certainly suspended our belief.

I never quite got the Macho Man gimmick, but it was undoubtedly wildly successful. It's kinda crazy to think about that gimmick and how virtually nobody today comes close to that type of gimmick (sans Jay Lethal). For all of the talk about the 'writers', they just don't have the creativity to develop a character like that.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know as great as Savage was on the mic. And he was one of the best. He always struck me though as generic when he was commentating on RAW. He would bust out cliches a lot and he wasnt as memorable as you would think. I wonder if that has to do with production and the like. Because when he became an in-ring regular again with WCW, he again had the insane, brilliant promo abilities.

I did like his tweener commentary early on after his 1991 retirement. And the fact he used "ooh yeah" and "dig it" in every sentence. Early on that is.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought one of Savage's strengths was when they would do an in-ring angle or something along those lines and he was really good at making me, the fan, wonder what he was going to do...turn heel or stay face.

He had a certain viciousness in his character, particularly in his WWF heel days and he came off as a bit of a wildcard and if you really pissed him off he came off like he *could* turn in a split second.

YR
JAG

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one sucked, because you hoped being out of the limelight would let the Macho Man hang on for a lot longer.

I think Randy Savage is the most talented guy I've seen as a fan. Incredible athlete and worker. Great and memorable on the stick. Top-notch physical charisma.

I love the stuff with him and Lawler. Savage was a force of nature back then. And the greatest testament to his greatness is that WM VII match with the Ultimate Warrior. That is the blueprint Taker-HHH and every major WWF main event has loosely used for most of the past 20 years.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree that Macho was an amazing total package... he just had "it". He's just amazing to watch in that first heel run in the WWF through Mania III.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Simmons:

At its apex, Macho Man was wrestling

The Macho On Coke promo he links to is awesome... and Randy did these things falling out of bed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69cJxkGirvs

John
JAG

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's obit of Savage was a good read

There's so much to cover with the Macho Man and he covered enough of it using his biggest angles and matches and feuds as jumping points. I wonder if there will be a follow up, but it was already very long.

I like that people that can fill in details on the record now. Steamboat, Jericho and Bret made it better, while Dusty brought unintentional humor.

I wish Dave knew what Vince's hangup with Macho was, so the *he banged an underage Steph* rumor would go away. I saw that Vince wrote a piece on Macho for Time Magazine. He never ceases to amaze me.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince's tribute to macho is here:

http://imageshack.us/f/69/timemachoman.jpg/

I wasnt expecting a small tribute. Not much to summarize over that.
Fong

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince used the word "wrestling"? That's newsworthy on its own.

Ultimate Warrior recorded a really nice tribute for Randy - by far the most lucid and emotional he's ever sounded. Talks about Randy's intensity, his handshake, and a mutual affinity for coffee:

Part 1

Part 2

-HJF
eron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
I wish Dave knew what Vince's hangup with Macho was, so the *he banged an underage Steph* rumor would go away. I saw that Vince wrote a piece on Macho for Time Magazine. He never ceases to amaze me.

As unimpressive as it sounds, it was because Macho left to WCW without giving Vince a chance to match the offer. I guess Macho called Vince up drunk to tell him that he signed with WCW. The story I read (somewhere) was that Vince was freaking out, saying he'd give Macho whatever he wanted, more money, another title run, etc. and Macho said, "Sorry Vince, I'm not bargaining, I already signed" because he was technically not under a contract at the time. Vince still did a TV tribute to him leaving but it made him extremely bitter. And then he didn't learn his lesson with Lex Luger doing pretty much the same thing to jump to WCW.

Vince also had heat with Macho going into business for himself with the Slim Jim ad. Vince didn't get to see a dime of it.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wasn't pissed at Macho when he tried to get him back in 1996 and 1999. He frankly wasn't that pissed at him when he left in 1994.

Vince lost his mind about Macho in the early 00's, which is why people try to come up with a reason for it and go with the "Macho Banged Steph" bullshit.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: