The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mars Needs Moms: Why Did It Bomb?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Mars Needs Moms: Why Did It Bomb? Reply with quote

Roger Ebert linked to this on his Facebook page:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/business/media/15mars.html?_r=1

Three points worth bringing up:

1. I can remember when Robert Zemeckis put out some good material... Back to the Future, Forrest Gump and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. But he seems so caught up in this technology that he'd rather give us gimmicks than substance.

2. I agree that the animated movie genre is getting saturated. What works best is an animated movie that tells a good story... it's the real reason Pixar has been so strong because they don't just put out eye-popping images, but good story material. Dreamworks, on the other hand, has been the definition of hit or miss... I really liked the first Shrek, but too many of their movies are about how many pop culture jokes they can make.

3. 3-D movies are headache inducing. The first time I watched one, I was in no hurry to watch a 3-D movie again. Really, this 3-D technology is more about the gimmick than the substance. And really, there's nothing wrong with 2-D... I watched the 2-D version of Tangled and not only enjoyed it for the story, but felt the animation worked very well in a 2-D format.

Something tells me that Hollywood is going to be quick to dump 3-D technology over time as people get burned out quickly. It may work for a Disney thrill ride, but it sure doesn't work for a movie going experience.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a problem with #3.

I think it's a good deal about #2. There's a lot out, including Rango heading north of $100M quickly.

11/05/10 Megamind ($148M)
11/24/10 Tangled ($197M)
02/11/11 Gnomeo and Juliet ($90M)
03/04/11 Rango ($71M)
03/11/11 Mars Needs Moms

Coming up:

04/15/11 Rio
04/29/11 Hoodwinked II
05/26/11 Kung Fu Panda II
06/24/11 Cars II

It's a bloated Genre.

On #1, Zemeckis as a director might be a different beat from Zemeckis as a non-director producer. He's had a fair amount of his non-directorial films haven't done great. As a director, even with something like Beowulf not doing great, it's bookended by The Polar Express and A Christmas Carol that did $180M+ an $130M+. His next direction job is Yellow Submarine, which you wonder if might have been better re-made by Tim Burton instead. :)

On Mars Needs Moms, as I mentioned on fb... I'm troubled by what is essentially a rape, impregnation and forced birth concept. :/

John
Rian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D does nothing for me, I can't see it. A good 10% of Americans can't see it either, which doesn't include people who can see it but get headaches or nausea or something along those lines.

I've never even heard of Mars Needs Moms.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one wants to see a dumb ass movie about Moms going to mars. That's stupid shit and everyone has a Mother & they are a pain in the ass. Fuck them & that damm Mother's day. Who wants to pay money to watch one ...or more in a movie....and it's 3D. Arn't they fat enough in regular D. Fuck that shit.--Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just checking to see if I got banned for that last post.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: