The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "WWE is insane" thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: The "WWE is insane" thread Reply with quote

Sure, it's fun to smack TNA around for their foolishness. But our friends in Stamford have been getting short shrift around here in that regard of late. May I propose, a collective gathering spot for all of it?

Let's start with this:

Seriously. We're not wrestling anymore.

Amazing that they're this defensive about being called "wrestling", when that word still prominently figures in the company name and its signature event - to the point of having a news piece about them removed as opposed to having themselves referred to by that ugly, ugly word.

I don't know - there are moments where I feel like I'm just being a curmudgeonly stick-in-the-mud about Vince having a hair up his ass about the word "wrestling". If he wants to alienate portions of the fanbase, that's his issue. His pathetic need to be seen as a Trump/Turner type of mogul is laughable, considering that every product he has tried to launch was deeply rooted in his wrestlers. Brand-builder my ass.

But then I remember that I grew up a wrestling fan. A fan of the in-ring work as much as a fan of the angles that begat the matches. And I've tried to avoid the whole "wrestling was best in MY day, and that's it!" rhetoric that a lot of fans want to engage in. I have no desire to halt the progression of wrestling. All I want is an acknowledgement of appreciation for all the wrestlers and promoters that really shaped what WWE is today. And the fans who propelled the whole thing too.

-HJF
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very insane. 'Entertainment mania" doesnt have the same bite to it. All of Vince's nonwrestling ventures have been disasters. That isnt helping much at all.

Speaking of very insane, last night's RAW was filled with lots of insanity.

Various botches including the audio not appearing during a repeat of Randy Orton's interview and the announcers not mentioning the goof.

The Miz saying Michael Jordan's prime was in the 1980's.

and "One word. The Streak.' being left in the very important Taker/HHH video package with all the current and former greats talking about the epic matchup. That is inexcusable.

Probably the most insane thing the past few weeks is the fact that Taker's win over HHH at Mania X-7 is completely erased from the history books. I really cant see the logic in not mentioing that when in the past they've shown the match in those Mania video packages.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:

Speaking of very insane, last night's RAW was filled with lots of insanity.

The Miz saying Michael Jordan's prime was in the 1980's.

It wasn't?

He may have won all his championships in the 90s, but his stats were better in the 80s. That's probably more of a Teen Wolf argument,
but Miz is the heel and would be more about the individual anyway.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a better player in the early 90s. Team was better around him, but he became a better player by the first three titles. Better outside shooter, better understanding of how to push his teammates.

The best Jordan would be taking his early athleticism with his middle skills and the brains & personality he had of the last three titles. That player would be nuts. :)

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-wwe-20110407,0,1338014.story
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "take on ton of debt" comment is crackers.

The company has a lot less cash on hand than it could due to Vince doing dividends left and right to put cash in his own pockets.

The Production item is kind of funny as it's one I'd tossed out in the early 00s. No, not movies and TV shows which the WWE is pretty shit at. But WWE Production is pretty exception at producing promo clips and advertising for WWE events and in-show promotion. If there is coin to be made in that industry, they should have chased it.

WWF Channel is also something I banged the drum on all the way back to the XFL days. In a way I think they're very late to the game. The time to strike was back instead of the XFL when the company was at its peak and had its greatest leverage available.

This part:

Quote:
Some analysts wonder whether WWE wants to grow to position itself for an eventual sale. There are very few independent programmers left, and with its healthy balance sheet WWE might be attractive to one of the bigger media companies. Also, McMahon is 65, and although he's still going strong, there hasn't been a clear heir apparent since his wife, Linda, resigned as chief executive in 2009 to pursue a political career.

Really misses the boat. It's pretty common for kids to sell off their parents business because they simply want the cash. But in this case, Steph and her husband love the business. What might be interesting is if Shane wants completely out when the old man and old lady are dead, and Steph & Trip are forced to come up with the the money to effectively buy him out.

John
Kronos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:

Really misses the boat. It's pretty common for kids to sell off their parents business because they simply want the cash. But in this case, Steph and her husband love the business. What might be interesting is if Shane wants completely out when the old man and old lady are dead, and Steph & Trip are forced to come up with the the money to effectively buy him out.

John

That bit about the heir apparent really stood out to me, too. I thought it was common knowledge that it would be Steph (and Haitch) that would take over when Vince finally steps down -- due to death or illness, surely, not voluntarily.

I wonder if they're trying to make the point that "analysts" don't think she's capable of keeping the success going? Or maybe this writer is just manufacturing news.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos wrote:
That bit about the heir apparent really stood out to me, too. I thought it was common knowledge that it would be Steph (and Haitch) that would take over when Vince finally steps down -- due to death or illness, surely, not voluntarily.

I think that's pretty common knowledge to us, to analysts companies tend to set up clear and semi-explicit succession plans. The WWE hasn't explicitly done that yet. They probably won't until Trip retires into the front office fulltime.

Quote:
I wonder if they're trying to make the point that "analysts" don't think she's capable of keeping the success going? Or maybe this writer is just manufacturing news.

Analysts are Wall Street folks, not Meltzer & Co. How much they actually read Meltzer & Co. is debatable. :)

John
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im finding it very hard to believe that Trips is responsible for Mistico signing. His signing was long-rumored and I think it was more spurred by JR and Johnny Ace.
kjh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was more a Stephanie signing given that she almost signed him a few years ago but changed her mind at the last minute because he couldn't speak English.
eron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
Im finding it very hard to believe that Trips is responsible for Mistico signing. His signing was long-rumored and I think it was more spurred by JR and Johnny Ace.

It was. It's a spin to say HHH is responsible for Mistico. However, Jon Moxley is said to be HHH's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: