The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Tillman Story

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: The Tillman Story Reply with quote

Not sure if this should go here or into the politics section. But, I watched The Tillman Story for the first time.

The general format of the documentary is that it goes into the very beginning of the aftermath of Tillman's death with the ceremony and the discovery of the coverup. Then it discusses Pat, his childhood and teenage years and then his football career, marriage and his decision to join the Army with his brother, Kevin. Then it goes back into his experience with the Rangers and the events leading up to his death and more of the coverup and secrecy.

I would strongly urge anybody to watch this because it even changed my opinions on the entire saga. When all of this happened, it appeared to me that the Tillman family was a bit hellbent on seeking vengeance for the death of their son, just because he was dead and they were against the war. And that they were intimating that those in his platoon were actually trying to assassinate him.

That actually could not be further from reality.

It is a documentary that will take the wind out of your sails because it's tough to watch a person like Tillman...and his family...get used as bad as anybody can be used. And it's in particular biting when the gov't is involved.

But, everybody used Tillman and his family here. From the Army to top gov't officials to political pundits...on both sides, to politicians...on both sides, to the media. It's in particular aggravating to see the statue of him outside the Arizona Cardinals stadium as they show the statue with Nike football cleats on Tillman.

Sure, it's possible that they just didn't think about it...but that was kinda the point, so many people used Pat Tillman that you tend to think nobody is innocent.

Even I had a hard time writing a review for this because Pat obviously didn't like this type of attention, but to me the movie wasn't about that. It was about the Tillman family trying to get their story out...which was really just the truth about the entire situation.

Thinking back about that ceremony after his funeral, it becomes even more cringe worthy. I kept thinking at the time that knowing that Pat Tillman was an atheist, I don't think he would appreciate all of the religious talk at the funeral service. Now it just seems 100x worse. Thankfully, his brother Richard Tillman wasn't afraid to set people straight at the service.

Really, it's fucking infuriating to think of people like McCain, Shriver and others showing up to the service which now comes off as a photo op. What's probably even more infuriating was when the Army showed up 2 days after his death to ask his wife if she would okay a military funeral, despite Tillman signing documents that he did not want one (he had a premonition that if he died he would used as a poster boy by the army, so that's why he didn't want a military funeral).

But that seems to be the secondary point...behind the coverup...that people just didn't bother to actually think of what Pat Tillman wanted and instead just tried to appease their own selfish needs.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about Tillman.

But I was in Viet Nam. There were short rounds landing around us all the time. Guys got killed from friendly fire. We all understood it could happen. Guys also died from all kinds of dumb shit. War is bullshit & stuff happens. You can be sleeping in the field & a tank can run over you.

In my mind, they should just tell families that they died in battle (if they can). I wouldn't tell parents any of the details. Just say they died in battle. Let them think the guy was a hero who died for a reason. Why let them know the kid was unlucky or a fuck up....or so hated he was killed by his own men?

Back then, I never thought everyone in the states would find out crap like that. Accidents killed more people the enemy fire.

So it is easy for me to understand a cover up.---Yohe
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I know nothing about Tillman.

But I was in Viet Nam. There were short rounds landing around us all the time. Guys got killed from friendly fire. We all understood it could happen. Guys also died from all kinds of dumb shit. War is bullshit & stuff happens. You can be sleeping in the field & a tank can run over you.

In my mind, they should just tell families that they died in battle (if they can). I wouldn't tell parents any of the details. Just say they died in battle. Let them think the guy was a hero who died for a reason. Why let them know the kid was unlucky or a fuck up....or so hated he was killed by his own men?

Back then, I never thought everyone in the states would find out crap like that. Accidents killed more people the enemy fire.

So it is easy for me to understand a cover up.---Yohe

If you watch the film, I think what the Tillman's are not happy with was the government trying to use their son as the poster boy for the War.

Tillman wanted to go into Afghanistan and do what was needed to go after Bin Laden and the Taliban. Once they started to go into Iraq, he was outraged and believed it was a criminal offense by the government. Still, he kept his word and did his duty and was going to do that until he fulfilled his service.

The government took his death and awarded him the Silver Star, which would not be given in his situation. I think ceremony for his funeral really set them off with famous people like Shriver, who didn't know Tillman or his family in any way whatsoever, giving a speech on his death at the ceremony and also trying to portray Tillman as a man of faith....which Tilliman was an adamant atheist. That's why his brother, Richard, did his speech and told the audience 'he's not with God, he's fucking dead. Pat would want you to know that.'

Also the scene, that was caught on camera, of the government trying to persuade Tillman's wife for an official Army burial service when he had signed 'no' for that service was pretty disturbing and disgusting.

I think all that and when they wanted to know how their child died, they were given the run around as much as they could. I think if the parents want to know why their child died...particularly given the fact that he enlisted (regardless if he was famous or not)...they should be given the truth.

YR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: