The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Least Favorite Entertainer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Your Least Favorite Entertainer Reply with quote

Stumbled across this emphatic slagging of one Billy Joel, in a 2009 Slate.

The Worst Pop Singer Ever: Why is Billy Joel So Bad? by Ron Rosenbaum

I don't think I can quite agree with Rosenbaum -- my own threshold for Joel's lapses into treacledom hit its limit when he moved from Allentown to Uptown Girl, but I think _The Stranger_ still holds up ok and I have a soft spot for _52nd Street_.

I also can't quite disown Billy Joel for pop blandness when I actively bought the CD reissues of both Ringo Starr's _Goodnight Vienna_ and Neil Sedaka's _The Hungry Years_ ...both of which I'd had on vinyl as a teenager.

But it's often entertaining to see someone who has almost irrational hate for a particular musical artist. You know when it's gone all bitter, mean-spirited, obsessive -- all those things tOA was known for, once upon a time, before the Lakers got their own thread in Sports and Triple H still had two brows rather than the Unibrow of Doom. ;P

So: who do you hate? ;)

Lee

(Or if not that, who do other people love and you just don't understand it?
For example: I'm currently listening to a Greatest Hits CD of the Counting Crows and my gosh, they're so generic late 90s boring story rock and their lead singer is like half the Indigo Girls straining his tense voice on all notes above 'C'.

The CD has 15 songs total, and on 3 tries I can't get past song #10 before skipping to a different disc/artist because the songs all start sounding exactly like #7 "Mr. Jones". And that's with me kind of liking #3 "Rain King" and #6 "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby", but the eventual sameness is painful. Is this just more of the 90s style music I simply don't enjoy, or what am I missing here?)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Jackson? George Lucas? Kenny Chesney? :)

I'll have to think of a more definative answer, since directors probably don't count... and No Talent is too easy.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anyone I hate? John tell me who I hate. I'm sure you know.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one comes to mind. I can't think of anyone you hate in the movies.

John
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always viewed entertainers as those who appear on screen, rather than those calling the shots behind the camera. :)

That being said, I've never been a fan of Ben Stiller.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be my #1, but David Caruso is high on the list.

I couldn't get into NYPD Blue the first season because Caruso was just so annoying to watch on the screen. Business picked up when he left and Jimmy "Bobby" Smits showed up. The show eventually became long of tooth, but I enjoyed a chunk of it which never would have happened if Caruso stayed.

I always enjoyed CSI as mindless filler TV: something to watch while I'm working on something on the computer or doing laundry or what not. Nothing great, but watchable filler that I don't have to think too hard about. Then they came up with CSI Miami... and Caruso was the lead. And he's horrific as "H". Too cool for the room, all annoying mannerisms...

Really what you wish someone had done long ago is make Caruso a heel in a TV show where he's the co-lead with someone else who is the hardened anti-hero who is out to take him down. Then all of Caruso's annoying mannerisms that I hate could be put to good use. :P

John
Tomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Really what you wish someone had done long ago is make Caruso a heel in a TV show where he's the co-lead with someone else who is the hardened anti-hero who is out to take him down. Then all of Caruso's annoying mannerisms that I hate could be put to good use. :P

B-b-b-but what about all the snappy one liners to lead into "Won't get fooled again"? :'(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: