The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent indy cards attended?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt farmer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Recent indy cards attended? Reply with quote

Anyone here attend an indy card recently? It's been a few months for me. But I did go to a card in Marysville Washington a few months back with a friend of mine. Who was helping out with the booking.

Also went to catch up with some friends who I haven't seen in awhile. My friend Bryan Alvarez was wrestling so I hung out with him and some of his "Empire" folks. We usually get together and watch the monthly PPV's too.

The card put on by Tulalip Championship Wrestling (whom I was the booker for a few years back) was a decent card. It was held in a hotel bar, so the crowd was about 100. And that's close to capacity so it was a decent audience. Everyone worked hard, and we have some guys with potential. Course there are a few clueless guys too, but over all a good card. Alvarez worked a kid named Mike Santiago who is decent. This was the best match on the card. A few guys who also worked the card include Aaron Bolo, and Christopher Ryseck who are two of the better up and comers in the area.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROH on Friday. We'll see how it goes. :)

John
Paul Jacobi

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one I went to was Evolve 1 a few months ago and was thoroughly bored.

A lot of the actual work was fine, but everyone was just generic as hell.

I was also at the first Dragon Gatelast year and it was pretty good, but not quite at the level Dave and Bryan were hyping it to be (one of the great PPVs of all time). Main event of Shingo/Doi was excellent since it wasn't nearly as go-go-go as the rest of the card and the match had time to build and breathe.

-Paul Jacobi-
matt farmer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
ROH on Friday. We'll see how it goes. :)

John

Were is the ROH card on Friday?
Kevin Tyler

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attend at least one a month. I book and work as a manager for the local promotion in Moncton, New Brunswick. We run monthly from Mar-Nov/Dec, drawing roughly 200-250 per show, largest ever at 450. We also run a number of small towns and festivals in the summer.

Most of the talents is purely home grown from all over the Maritime provinces. Mostly smaller workers, of course, but there enough good heavyweights working in the area to create an interesting division. We also have good contacts for talent working in Quebec and New England.

Our big selling point for a long time was our high production values. That can make anything look good. It's taken a bit of hit lately thanks to staff changes, but still miles ahead of anything anyone else is doing around here.

We do pretty good, considering it's more of a co-operative run by the boys. The one thing we lack is someone with business sense, but not a money mark who wants to play fantasy booker and be a star.

Anyway, if anyone's interested here's the website: www.ihwrestling.com
I'm the cohost of the online show. Not my best role, I'm aware. I'm much more natural at ringside during a match.
matt farmer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin sounds fun, I have some friends that used to work the old Emil Dupree Maritimes promotion. Always have wanted to visit that part of the country.
Kevin Tyler

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame Emil still doesn't run tours during the summer months. His old school mentality doesn't draw well in the cities, but he does great in all the small towns that are just happy to have some entertainment. He has great connections with the venues and their owners. But the man is in his 70s, and with Rene making his money in Europe and Japan, and his other son, Jeff, being... just not there, I guess it's the end of their family business.
Mike Campbell

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a company based in NY called 2CW (Squared Circle Wrestling) that runs Syracuse every few months. Their last show in 'Cuse was on 4/3, which was pretty fun. The big draw was Raven vs. Colin Delaney, which featured Raven asking for a moment of silence for the late Chris Kanyon and having a fun ECW style match with Colin.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Presents SEVEN on Friday, July 30!

PWG World Title: Davey Richards (c) vs. Chris Hero

PWG World Tag Title: "¡Peligro Abejas!" El Generico & Paul London (c) vs. "Motor City Machine Guns" Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley

"American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. Roderick Strong

Tag Team Guerrilla Warfare (Cage) Match: Cutler Brothers vs. The Young Bucks

Scott Lost Retirement Match: "The Professional" Scott Lost vs. Scorpio Sky

Brandon Bonham vs. Brian Cage

Brandon Gatson & Johnny Goodtime & Candice LeRae vs. Malachi "CK" Jackson & Ryan Taylor & Akira Tozawa

That's kind of a loaded up card.

John
Mike Campbell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2CW came back to Syracuse on 7/10. It was another overall fun experience, the main event was Davey Richards vs. J. Freddie, a kid from nearby Watertown, NY who had trained at 2CW's school.

It was quite the fun match, with Davey beating the piss out of Freddie, and Freddie having to weather it and keep on fighting. Freddie won on a bit of a fluke, when Davey kicked the post and Freddie started working over the leg, finally tapping him out to a sharpshooter.

Afterward, Davey cut a promo saying that the match was a test for Freddie because a lot of feds had their eye on him. One week later, Freddie was booked to ROH for their TV tapings.
Kevin Tyler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IHW is in the middle of festival season and we've run a number of pretty good shows. Our next regular monthly show is this Sunday, and it looks great on paper. Here's the hype video, which is actually two seperate episodes (recap of June + hype for July) put together for whatever reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJhp5wZ22uw

It's basically 18 minutes of me talking about wrestling.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This match is not very good.

I don't want to accused of gilding a turd.

From MCIW in Southern Indiana, 6-11-2010. I post this match because you can (sort of) hear me doing (some) commentary with Mickie Knuckles for an (alleged-I've been told it's on up there but have never seen it or any tape of the purported show, all MCIW on youtube is from the wrestlers themselves, not that anyone is going to be seeking out any MCIW unless they're directly involved) TV show this fed has/had in Bloomington, IN. "SEBASTIAN SUPERKICKED HIS PARTNER!" is me. Sorry for spoiling the finish.

I think the video is from Bob Murdoch who's in the match and had his camera recording from the table where we were doing commentary. Said co-commentator comes back from almost getting into a fight on Main Street with one of the opening match wrestlers and possibly some fans to ruin the commentary during the stretch run of the match (note I'm the only guy who noticed the finish, though I did know what was coming).

The only reason why I was doing this (though the guy who was doing commentary with me got fired after this night for. . . some shit) is The Rick is one of my best friends and I only get to see him when he plays out his rasslin' dream. I've been told they want to use me with Rick's heel group kinda like Joel Gertner only without the sexual jokes and with a shirt (I will not go shirtless in public because I got a belly-button ring so long ago it was OK for guys to get them, and now it looks. . . not right, plus I like fast and fried food, so my stomach is not in public viewing shape even though I'm relatively thin), we'll see.
Kevin Tyler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of venue is that? Reminds me of the back of a pizza place I used to work in Brewer, Maine. Good crowds, bad pizza.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a building right on Main Street in Austin Indiana. I think it was a restaurant, the "arena" part his about 2/3 of the front part, the entrance is behind the wall to your left on the screen, the back is the dressing rooms, heels and babies have different entrances.

I think they might could fit 100 fans in there without the fire marshall shutting things down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: