The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCartney "Out There" tour sightings, soundings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: McCartney "Out There" tour sightings, soundings Reply with quote

Paul McCartney "Out There" tour debuted in Brazil.

Thanks to Christopher Kull for posting the link over on Facebook :)

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/118545/Paul-McCartney-Offers-Live-Debut-Of-Five-Beatles-Classics

1. Eight Days a Week (The Beatles song)(live debut)
2. Junior's Farm (Wings song)
3. All My Loving (The Beatles song)
4. Listen to What the Man Said (Wings song)(solo band live debut)
5. Let Me Roll It (Wings song)
6. Paperback Writer (The Beatles song)
7. My Valentine
8. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five (Wings song)
9. The Long and Winding Road (The Beatles song)
10. Maybe I'm Amazed
11. Hope of Deliverance
12. We Can Work It Out (The Beatles song)
13. Another Day
14. And I Love Her (The Beatles song)
15. Blackbird (The Beatles song)
16. Here Today
17. Your Mother Should Know (The Beatles song)(live debut)
18. Lady Madonna (The Beatles song)
19. All Together Now (The Beatles song)(live debut)
20. Mrs. Vanderbilt (Wings song)
21. Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles song)
22. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! (The Beatles song)(live debut)
23. Something (The Beatles song)
24. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (The Beatles song)
25. Band on the Run (Wings song)
26. Hi, Hi, Hi (Wings song)(solo band live debut)
27. Back in the U.S.S.R. (The Beatles song)
28. Let It Be (The Beatles song)
29. Live and Let Die (Wings song)
30. Hey Jude (The Beatles song)

Encore:
31. Day Tripper (The Beatles song)
32. Lovely Rita (The Beatles song)(live debut)
33. Get Back (The Beatles song)

Encore 2:
34. Yesterday (The Beatles song)
35. Helter Skelter (The Beatles song)
36. Golden Slumbers (The Beatles song)
37. Carry That Weight (The Beatles song)
38. The End (The Beatles song)

Yes, John and I already got into our traditional argument about the merit or lack thereof for "Let Me Roll It". :) There are overplayed songs like "Yesterday" and "Hey Jude" which I know Paul would be lynched by the audience for not playing, and certain silly songs he's stuck with like "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" which are basically in the "Forget it, he's rolling - at least it's short and upbeat" category. But "LMRI" to me is *yawn*, "... my heart is like a wheel... let me roll it... let me roll it... to you?" C'mon Paul, I forgive a lot of dumb lyrics from you but at least "Let Them In" sounds like a fun party and has a catchy tune!" I think "LMRI" is the kind of banal sad girl-attracting tune that the folksinger would be singing on the stairs in "Animal House" and I'd be helping John Belushi destroy the guitar. :P

But aside from that, wow, look at the good stuff. If you don't open with "I Feel Fine", then "Eight Days a Week" is the perfect great song to establish the Classic Beatles Sound. Look, it's "Junior's Farm" bringing back the memories! Wow, both "Mrs. Vanderbilt" and "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five" (but no "Jet"?!?!?!). Hey, the return of "Hi Hi Hi"! And of course there are lots of not-so-silly Macca love songs sprinkled throughout some more serious bits.

At Paul's age, to open a *first* encore with a rocker like "Day Tripper" is pretty gutsy, and if he segues "Lovely Rita" (OMG! OMG! YAY!) right into "Get Back" that would be quite a transition to hear.

Following "Yesterday" with "Helter Skelter" to open the second encore is one of those pairing choices I'd really like to hear the reasoning on because I don't get it. (I'd bury "Helter Skelter" near the beginning of the main set if I had to do it at all. Swap it out for "Jet" here if you need the rocker.) But then there's those last three songs... that's The End.

Lee
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2013/fenway-park-boston-ma-bd95d6e.html

July 9th. Very minor changes to the setlist posted from the Brazil debut, and just about every concert has done 38 songs in the 30/3/5 sequence.

- Hope of Deliverance dropped
- Lovely Rita kept (Yes! Yes! Yes!) but moved into the main set
- I Saw Her Standing There added as the first encore closer. Awesome!
- But Get Back has been dropped (No! No! No!)
- Still no Jet *pout* much less Venus & Mars/Rock Show/Jet *double pout*
- Encore 2 stays the same

Skimming some of the other venues... he seems to be consistent through the first 10 songs. Slot 11 has rotated songs as shown below, but then the only other major changes seem to be relocating Rita and changing the 1st encore closer.

Bonnaroo Festival got: Midnight Special (Lead Belly cover) (first since 10 May 2003)
Boston MA, Verona, Italy, Warsaw, Poland and Ottawa, Canada all got: I've Just Seen a Face
Tulsa OK, Brooklyn NY and Vienna, Austria got: Things We Said Today
And Vienna also got: Ram On (Paul and Linda cover)

The migration of Lovely Rita to main set had already happened by June 8th in Brooklyn, but Get Back was still the closer for the first encore as late as June 25th in Italy. As much as I love I Saw Her Standing There and it's an utterly kickass closer, I'm very sad to lose Get Back completely. If he has to keep Let Me Roll It :P, why not rotate out one of Paperback Writer, All Together Now, or (yecch) Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da?

Lee
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
July 9th. Very minor changes to the setlist posted from the Brazil debut, and just about every concert has done 38 songs in the 30/3/5 sequence.

And the 30/3/5 is really closer to 30/3/3 as those last three songs are Abbey combo of song fragments into basically a medley song / multi part song. Admiral Halsey and Band On The Run are multi part fragments combined into a "song", whereas the Abbey Road stuff treated the linked fragments is individual songs. If that makes any sense? :) I guess my point: he kind of has the same balance to the two encores.

Quote:
- Lovely Rita kept (Yes! Yes! Yes!) but moved into the main set

I'm thinking that he found out he really dug playing that song for the first time in FOREVER! :) So he kept it.

Quote:
- I Saw Her Standing There added as the first encore closer. Awesome!

I am a mark for it.

Quote:
- But Get Back has been dropped (No! No! No!)

I think it's one he has played a ton over the years, so he can move it in and out at any point. Drop it for a stretch of shows, then bring it back.

Quote:
- Still no Jet *pout* much less Venus & Mars/Rock Show/Jet *double pout*

I'm surprised that he doesn't bring that one back. On the other hand, he was rolling out the Triple last year at times:

Mar 24 2012: Paul McCartney Setlist at Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands

Quote:
Skimming some of the other venues... he seems to be consistent through the first 10 songs.

But even that you can see from the link above has changed since last year. Some that same (he seems to like Junior's Farm back-to-back with All My Loving). But others mix around.

Quote:
If he has to keep Let Me Roll It :P, why not rotate out one of Paperback Writer, All Together Now, or (yecch) Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da?

I love-love-love Paperback Writer. Don't pitch that overboard! :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: