The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWE Network Officially Announced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: WWE Network Officially Announced Reply with quote

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/08/3859962/groundbreaking-wwe-network-to.html

WWE is doing their network as a streaming service.

Will be interesting to see how well their model works, particularly when it comes to PPVs.
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy buy for me, because I already have a Roku that I watch my vault on.

Not sure if it'll make it considering how much PPV revenue they seem to be punting.

Vince loves going all in.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... Vince went all in, and flipped the bird at the PPV industry.

Long term it's likely smart.

The only major fallbacks I see of this versus a Network:

* they are going to need to maintain a large sub base

Let keep remembering that people don't want to pay for content, the middle class is getting squeezed, and people are always looking for ways to cut costs. Even worse, the WWE isn't like the NBA or NFL where lots of people are Fans For Life. People come and go from wrestling all the time: there's a big "growing out of it" %, along with a big "moving on" % when folks get married or have kids. So the WWE is going to constantly have to replenish a bleed rate of subs.

On the other hand, that is what they've been doing for year with PPV and House Shows - people leave, and new fans come in.

Okay... just don't look at that last sentence too long and think about what has happened to the WWE's PPV numbers over the past decade. ;)

* The Network isn't an fallback option for Raw

If the Network was on Basic TV with a nice carriage fee buried in people's bills, the Network would eventually be a place where Raw could be moved if Comcast or other entities weren't paying the jack. If you're in enough homes, WWE fans would find it.

The problem with moving Raw down the road to the Network is that they need Raw to be "free" to market the Network. It's the #1 cheapest and most effective way to market it: it's free on USA, and it gets 4M viewers a week. Those are the 4M viewers who move away while other join the fandom. Pull Raw behind the curtain, and now you have to come up with another way to attract new fans. Ads aren't going to do it: you have to Watch pro wrestling to become a fan of it. And we all started by watching the Free Shit before moving on to stuff we Paid For.

So while they might move other content like SmackDown eventually to the Network if people like Comcast don't want to pay good money to carry it, the WWE is always going to have to find a way to get Raw on a "free" carrier that is in a shitload of homes.

Right now that's not providing it for free on Netflix: those less than 30M subs right now, not the nearly 100M that USA has. That's not putting it on their own website for free: you wouldn't know to go to WWE.com unless you were a wrestling fan having watched some free shit first.

So for the forseable future, the WWE is always going to have to find a way to get Raw on (i) a large carrier, (ii) available for free, and (iii) to a large household base.

That does limit the WWE a little bit. At least until the Over The Top market gets huge, and there's an easier way to attract 4M viewers (and replenish bleeders) regularly to something than current advertising methods. The WWE doesn't really have a massive advertising budget.

John

John
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching it now.

Pretty amazing to have access to have every PPV ever. I just watched a bit of Starrcade '86 just because.

There is some old school stuff on there, a WCCW episode form '82, some ECW TVs, a handful of MSG shows from Bruno-Arion through Flair-Piper (yes even the Hansen-Backlund cage match).

There have been stream issues, but that's probably a good sign for the first day.

Also, everyone should seek out the Shield-Wyatts match from last night. Reminded me of Choshu's Army vs. Jumbo's Crew.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwfulAnnouncing chimes in:

The WWE Network launch is off to a rough start
JAG

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just posted all of the Clash of the Champions.

And the Network has retained most of its awesomeness midway through the third month.

Jagdip
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this mentions the WWE Network in part, I figured I'd put this here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vince-mcmahon-thought-had-plan-210904734.html

Long story short, the WWE's new TV contract with NBC Universal, while 50 percent higher than the previous one, is nowhere near the levels Vince McMahon was promising to investors.

Additionally, the WWE Network still hasn't reached the 1 million subscribers it needs in order to break even.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV deal is kind of what I expected. I thought the notion of them doubling their US deal was off base by the WWE.

I less pessimistic about the Network than some. They talked about getting to 1M by the end of the year. They have time to do that. The keys will be:

* renewal
* late push

They need to be smart about both.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the WWE sub rate was 732,000 0n 9-30-14.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they've been very smart in how they've handled the Network from the start.

The PPV is a "great value" at that price. But it's also not the thing that keeps you every month. They needed to be smarter about getting regular content beyond the PPV on it that makes you want to sign up and stay signed up every month.

They're now going to straight $9.99 a month with no six month requirement. They'll see a spike with Mania, but they'll likely do very little during that month of subscriptions to make 90%+ retain it for months after that.

The WWE isn't too bright.

In contrast, ESPN and the SEC launched their network with ease this summer:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2014/07/20/sec-network-scores-distribution-touchdown-with-comcast-carriage-deal

$1.40 per household carriage fee in the 11 SEC States, and $0.25 out of state where it's on a sports tier.
DalyCityTrain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty mind boggling how the WWE jumped into an everything-(but RAW)-in-one package without dipping their toes in first, but have been pretty inept at conveying the breadth of what's offered. Every time they advertise a program or an old PPV on the Network as if it were simply a 24/7 stream, they further muddle the message of it being a VOD library that is a straight up Netflix for Wrestling (and maybe even an improvement on Netflix in that things aren't periodically eliminated from the library with very little in the way of an alert).

I talk to people at work who are in the old-for-technology age bracket who have subscribed to Netflix because they heard about Orange is the New Black. They all understand how it works. No one ever asks "When is that show on?" WWE really should be piggybacking on that model in their sales pitch, with less emphasis on the price, as if fans have somehow failed to understand what a bargain they're getting.

On the other hand, the consensus of almost all the analysis of the numbers seems to be that the Network is close to it's ceiling for "hardcore" or long-time fans who want the old stuff, and will be reliant on making the current product hot for any substantial, non-gradual subscriber increase. I'm not sure if I see it that way, though, that there's no room for improvement thru better marketing, or a program of hype built around the content being rolled out (like the Marvel future movies announcement, albeit on a much smaller scale). The Network seems to already have the most buzzed about show in NXT, but I guess they can't actually plug it on RAW by saying "Real wrestling fans will love NXT, it has much better matches than the main roster shows."

Last thing: It'd be cool if the Network (and especially the new no-commitment, month-to-month model) opens up a new kind of drawing power for a wrestler who moves Network numbers. The obvious example would be if Roman Reigns as champion keeps numbers around the expected base, then Daniel Bryan comes back and pops a huge month for his return. But it could be the other way around...just any newer, clearer measure of the effect of a single guy or program on revenue.
khawk20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is the old Classics on Demand format had fresh Old School material rolled out each month. The Network does not. That's a massive fail for me.

I hope it corrects itself at some point but we'll see.
Rian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS
IS
STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

What a waste.
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the dirty little secret is not enough people give a shit about the old stuff.

Everything they've said publicly indicates that.

I love it and it's pretty sweet having every PPV, SNME, Clash, Nitros, etc. a click away, but how many people really care about that?

This thing will only thrive if the current product gets hot. Everything else is expensive window dressing.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few people care about it. That's the difference between the type of thing they're doing now and what would have been with a WWE Cable Network. With that, they would have had to fill 18 or so hours a day of Content (assuming 6 hours a day were sold off at least initially to infomercials).

As I've walked through before, some of those 18 hours are "repeater" time slots that we see on channels like Discovery:

8pm New Episode of Show A
9pm New Episode of Show B
10pm New Episode of Show C
11pm Repeat of New Episode of Show A
12am Repeat of New Episode of Show B
1am Repeat of New Episode of Show C

So that's 6 of the hours out of the way. In turn, often at 7pm (or whatever is the slot just prior to the beginning of the primetime block of new content) they'll re-air the show from last week of the 8pm show as a lead in.

So that 7 hours out of the way.

The WWE Network would still need to fill 11 hours a weekday... assuming all those 3 hours of "new" are truly new content (even if it's stuff repackaged into things like a Best of Wrestler X show).

That's where things like Old TV Show fill up time in the early years of networks: they just chew up those hours of the day from say 8am to 6pm. Roll out an old World Class show in a time slot, and one "year" of that show gives you 10 weeks of content for that time slow with next to no work needed to be done to it. They have built in breaks, and they're already formatted for 1 hour.

Old house shows? The WWE could roll those out somewhere on the schedule. In fact, you could take an MSG card and break it into a 3 hour TV show that chews up an entire evening of prime time. Natural ad breaks between matches, you can do intros and exists, and if you're short on time have the people in WWE Production needing experience do things like put "packages" together of the things that led to the bigger matches on the cards (i.e. pull bits from TV and/or the prior card). In other words, the same type of stuff they will need to learn to put promo packages together in WWE Production. Good testing ground for guys.

With what they're doing... they flat out don't need to do that. They're not selling Old Content. For the most part, they're selling New Content: the PPVs.

That's kind of shitty for those of us who hoped to see a Network be a place where all the old House Shows would eventually get an airing. Now it's not likely to happen any time soon. Which is a sad waste of that massive library, especially with the DVD business also dying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: