The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wire Season 4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: The Wire Season 4 Reply with quote

Starts Sunday, September 10. That gives everyone who missed Season 3 (I still have three eps to catch which should air over the next month) a month to catch up.

-Chad
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wire Season 4 Reply with quote

Iron Chad wrote:
Starts Sunday, September 10. That gives everyone who missed Season 3 (I still have three eps to catch which should air over the next month) a month to catch up.

I have the last 2-3 to watch as well. Vacation always is messing up my Deadwood-Wire watch. :P

John
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got around to watching season one until a couple of weeks ago when they showed it On Demand.

Looking back, all three seasons are extremely strong. I remember Season 2 getting ripped on here and some other places, but I think Season 2 was extremely strong. Season 1 did a great job focusing on the complexity and cleverness of the heels (Barksdale, Bell, Levy, Clay Davis) whereas Season 2 did a better job with character development.

I'm in Season 2 On Demand right now. Chris Bauer was worlds better than most people thought he when the season aired. Ziggy still holds up as an annoying character played by a weak actor. But other than that, it's a great season.

I'm probably more excited about where they will go with Season 4 than the actual execution of the storylines and the results. Will they go after only Marlo? Will Avon come back? Will Clay Davis get his? Will they go after Prop Joe?

Rich..........
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the group of us that watched The Wire were pretty high on Season 2 once it played itself out. Sure, it started slow, but it kind of had to, and Ziggy was an annoying POS. But "I robs drug dealers" is one of the better lines uttered on television and everything tied itself up so well at the end that it was not disappointing, unless I've blanked on a jdw Wire rant.

-Chad
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think no one really cared for much of the Dock storyline. It wasn't very interesting relative to the Terrace in season 1. The writing and acting (other than Ziggy) were strong, but the storyarc just wasn't too interesting. It really needed the Dock to tie higher up into politics so that the corruption (and case) led someplace more interesting.

John
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Starts Sunday, September 10.

The new episodes will be on the On Demand channel the Monday before they air on HBO. Which is good if you have On Demand, which I don't.
Tim Cooke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tad off topic, but has anyone got the Season 3 DVD's and listened to any of the 5 commentaries or watched the 2 extras with David Simon?

HBO putting the new episode On Demand 6 days before it airs is awesome, especially for those of us who have to get to work WAY too early.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Cooke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent documentaries for Season 4 of The Wire started airing tonight on HBO at 7 EST. Probably will be extras for Season 4 DVD's. Def worth checking out.
Paul Jacobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it's over, any thoughts from anyone on the season?

-Paul Jacobi-
Regan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it. But that's not terribly detailed.

Naturally, Spoilers Ahoy!

I found the story of the four kids to be a lot more interesting than I expected. Michael was the stand-out, but even Naymond came off as a lot more likeable than I would have thought.

I was also surprised that Season 4 was essentialy a 12 (13?) episode bridge between 3 and 5. I thought there'd be some movement on the bodies in the vacants prior to the last episode. Still, I enjoyed the build-up, and I think it will make the inevitable take down of Marlo's operation that much more satisfying.

Omar was Omar. Is there much more to say? Okay, the plot against Prop Joe and the co-op was brilliant, as was both his decision to sell it back at a profit, and Joe's subsequent mark-up.

It was also nice to see good things starting to happen to some of the police, rather than the traditional shitting on the heroes.

Kevin
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to bump this thread up because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgj78QG9Bg

I think I may watch this show come the new year.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video. Exceptional series.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another set of Wire quotes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFh2f7rNAEI

Another great video. Prop Joe kills it here.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoilers if you haven't seen them:

Jimmy McNulty's Wake

And no... he's not dead, so I'm not spoiling. :)

100 Greatest Quotes

John
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best quote would have to be from the first season when they were investigating the suburban shooting, methodically working the kitchen and finding the bullet in the fridge.

I saw it in syndication on BET, and the scene had no dialogue :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: