The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lazy Jumbo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Lazy Jumbo Reply with quote

On the phone with Yohe, were talking about the laughable Brody, which led to digging up this thread from Classics and re-reading through it:

Sell me on Jumbo Tsuruta

One of the better examples of the various Jumbo Is Lazy threads over the years.

John
eron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most interesting thing in the world is taking someone basically raised on the WWF Attitude era and now fed ROH "Japan Lite Impressions" every month and sitting them down to a good Jumbo Tsuruta match or two. They don't quite know what to make of it. It's like someone believing in Jesus their entire life and then someone walks up, de-nounces Jesus, says worship Odin and then fires a lightning bolt at their car. Pretty much turns their entire world upside down.

It usually gets to the point where they are sick of me being right about these "Stupid Fossil's" being better wrestlers and eventually just make fun of the Japanese announcers as their only comeback.
JAG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading old WONs.

Planning to post at some point about how laughable Dave's bias was at the time regarding WWF/Crockett and how silly it made the coverage, but I'll save that dead horse for later. Instead, I'll take on more kick at this one.

Dave went to Japan in late '87 and did a fantastic rundown of where that business was at the time. But I'm going to look past all that of course and focus on this one throwaway line:

"...while Jumbo can be great when he's fired up but is lazy and not hungry because he's so wealthy."

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)
JAG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magic of the internet is allowing me to get my hands on all of the Jumbo Tsuruta I want. Which means all of it.

Despite being a Jumbo mark, I've not truly watched the last part of his career (sans Misawa). Luckily for me, that even includes much of the Tenryu feud through the sickness. Which means matches against Kawada, Kobashi and if I go really crazy, Taue.

I doubt I'll have the patience to watch all the 6-mans (I know I should), but I want to watch all the big ones.

I plan to post some thoughts here in this horribly mis-titled thread.

I will begin by watching Jumbo-Tenryu from 10/88, but I need a little while to recover after watching Dick Murdoch trying to sell for Akira Maeda.

Jagdip
JAG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say, the Jumbo-Tenryu from 10/88 was pretty fantastic.

Extremely hard-hitting, with all the big moves and a very confident Tenryu. Gone is the lamb that began the Choshu Army feud.

In over 30-plus minutes, the two deliver piledrivers, backdrop suplexes, enziguiris, flying moves, hard chairshots and usual faux submissions.

Jumbo heels it ups with lots of eye grinds, ref pushes and crowd taunts. That's lots of nearfalls, but they don't climax until the 5-minute mark, with Tenryu hitting his goofy elbow drop for a 2.9 count and Jumbo follows up with a sloppy powerbomb for a 2.99 and a Thesz press for 2.9998.

Jumbo hits flying lariat, but Tenryu says this ain't 1985 bitch. A Jumbo Lariat in the corner followed by vicious elbow attack that ref breaks up. Jumbo slaps him, so Tenryu gives him a low blow kick. Ref stops after Tenryu won't stop kicking and slapping him.

That got ugly as Tenryu quickly exits. Jumbo bleeding from mouth and still selling the balls after the match as a young Kobashi and perpetually old Fuchi help him. Even the post-match "ohhhh" is tainted.

Lack of finish is only thing missing, tho it is a finish that puts over the beef.

Jumping to 3-8-89 and a 6-man with Jumbo-Yatsu-Takano vs. Tenryu-Road Warriors. Is there any other necessary viewing before the big 6-5-89 match?

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want this which came out earlier this year in the DVDVR 80s Project:

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=54309

Plenty of essential Jumbo (as well as everyone else) on there.

It's a Goodhelmet item. I can hook you up with Will if you don't have his e-mail. Price is very cheap relative to the old days of tape/dvd buying. They also did New Japan 80's a year or so ago.

Will is also working on another interesting project with Loss that I can point you to. They've done 1992, 1993 and 1996 of that other project so far.

I know lots of stuff on the net is free, but on stuff like the DVDVR set, it's priced to move and Will busts his ass to get stuff in as good and complete form as possible.

John
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that stuck out in the Roadies match was how over Hawk was. The crowd gave him a standing chant every time he got in.

Also Animal was stupid strong, including a Gorilla Press Slam of Jumbo that was receipted with a vicious Jumbo Lariat.

Hawk was fittingly given the pinfall over Takano after the doomsday device. Takano sure looked lik he should have been a star. Jumbo should have blamed the loss on Yatsu's gut.

Watched the world famous 6-5-89 match again as well. Don't see how that wasn't the best match in the world that year. Jumbo's kickout on the first powerbomb is too fantastic for words. Wrong guy won with a powerbomb.

Skipped ahead to 8-28-89 with Kawada becoming Tenryu's partner. Special K still has on footloose tights and takes quite the beating in this match. The highlights are the saves on pin attempts with one featuring Yatsu and his gut actually powerbombing Tenryu after his powerbomb on Jumbo. Yatsu gets the pin with a wackass back suplex.

Flying through 1990 is next.

Jagdip
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start the year with a Jumbo/Tigersawa vs. Tenryu/Fuyuki match from 1/14/90. Two great spots late with Jumbo hilariously overrunning the ropes and Tenryu nailing him with a kick from the apron and the finish. Jumbo has Fuyuki in a half-Boston Crab when Tenryu comes in for the save and lariat-os Tigersawa and does the same to Jumbo. Unfortunately for Fuyuki, Jumbo full weight is pushed back and he holds on for the submission. Brilliant.

Fuyuki is upset after the match, so Tenryu says who the fuck are you to have emotions, and just leaves. Jumbo offers his hand and raises his arm to polite applause.

The final Jumbo vs. Tenryu war took place on 4/19/90 with Stan Hansen fucking shit up. Hansen jumps Tenryu on the way to the ring and after laying a whuppin on his former partner, he calls out Jumbo and declares himself the No. 1 contender. The match is short with all the big moves and nearfalls. Jumbo wins clean with a Backdrop Suplex Bridge.

Tenryu had agreed to form SWS at this point and was kind enough to the tainted clean job on the way out. According to Dave at the time, he got around $3.2M over five years to jump. Baba certainly made-do.

After the match, Jumbo calls out Hansen and even gives him a Jumping High Knee. Hansen does much of the ass-kicking after that prompting Jumbo to bring in a chair to use. Rebrawl and that's that.

We jump ahead to 5/14/90 with Tigersawa/Kawada vs. Yatsu/Fuyuki. Most of the match is the heels beating on Tigersawa and threatening to take off his mask. About halfway through, he's had enough and asks Special K to unmask him. Kawada forever cements himself as the Steve Young to Misawa's Joe Montana by obliging.

Misawa gets the pin and takes the first step towards immortality. At least that's what Gorilla Monsoon would have said.

The next step happens in a 6-man tag for the ages on 5/26/90. Jumbo leads his band of Ornery Old Men featuring Masa Fuchi and the Great Kabuki vs. Misawa's upstarts Kenta Kobashi and Akira Taue.

The first half of this match is beyond fantastic. Jumbo clears out Misawa's team in the first few minutes, nailing everyone with elbows. Misawa receipts him soon after after Tsuruta engages him from the apron. Jumbo sells being knocked on the floor forever before rising like a fireball of hate and charging after Misawa.

Only Jumbo's awful punches prevent it from being perfect. They have to be separated a few times before the match can begin again. Afterwards, every time Misawa and Jumbo face off, the match stops and they just start brawling. God fucked Baba on the arms, but evened it out by giving him the best booking mind ever.

Fuchi has a Fuchi moment by dropping Kobashi and his too short orange tights knee-first onto a table and then talking shit to Misawa and Taue. After some exchanges, Jumbo beats down Kobashi and tags in Fuchi, who goes right after the knee. More of that from Kabuki.

Jumbo delivers two massive body slams and tries a Boston Crab, but Taue makes the save. Misawa and Taue hit a double dropkick and Misawa gets his offense on Jumbo before Kobashi misses a Super Missile and eats a nasty Jumbo Lariat.

More back-and-forth with Taue shining, then Kobashi and then Misawa on Fuchi. But the old bastard kicks out of Kobashi's German Suplex. Misawa goes for a Tiger Driver, so Jumbo gives him a vicious Jumbo Lariat. Misawa recovers to give Fuchi a Tiger Suplex for the pin. Jumbo is unhappy as Misawa talks shit on the way to the back.

I'm going to watch Jumbo-Gordy from 6/5/90 and Jumbo-Misawa from 6/8/90 next. The Gordy match begins with a shot of Misawa watching by back wall.

Jagdip
Mike Campbell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up, after a somewhat topical conversation I had a couple of weeks ago that jdw got a kick out of when I posted it over at PWO.

Mick Foley did his standup act in Syracuse a couple of weeks back, and afterwards did a meet and greet with some questions. Well, the huge AJPW mark in me asked about his working with Jumbo in the '91 Carnival. Mick said that working with Jumbo was great, aside from suffering the broken ribs, and that he thought they had a good match, even if it's nothing close to Jumbo's best.

Then, Mick went further and said that he thinks that Jumbo has been hugely unappreciated in years since his passing. I brought up Dave's favorite comment, and Mick said that Dave is crazy for thinking that.
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave about Jumbo in Billy Robinson bio:

"Robinson also said he had no doubt Inoki could have beaten Jumbo Tsuruta (a 1972 Olympian who was All Japanís best wrestler of the era). Robinson clearly had a frustration with Tsuruta, perhaps because he recognized that with his size and athletic ability, he had the potential to be a great legitimate wrestler. Tsuruta never wrestled until he was in college, as he was a basketball star in high school. He had a dream to go to the Olympics, but that wasnít going to happen in basketball and he then took up wrestling. He was such a natural at it that he won a national title in two years and ended up on the Olympic team. But once he started as a pro wrestler, Tsuruta left competitive wrestling behind. Robinson was enamored with real wrestling, and using it to be a great pro wrestler as well. Inoki had a similar mindset. Tsurutaís mentality was different, and Robinson, thought Tsuruta never reached his potential because he was influenced by the American mindset."

Jagdip
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumb made the PWHF this week. The only other Japanese wrestlers in that hall of fame are Rikidozan, Baba, & Inoki. Kind of a big deal. Cazy goes a long way...what a style.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the Inoki/Jumbo comments got me remembering stuff. Most of the young Japanese were sent thru Los Angeles before making it big in JWA.

Inoki had good looks but looked weak and really didn't do much in LA, Never thought of him as a shooter then. His UN Title win over Tolos stunk.

Sakaguchi was huge & looked very tough. Could have made money in America because of his size.

Kintaro Oki looked stiff & I liked him then. Better then than in films. Headbutt'ed and blood'ed guys. Match with Mark Lewin was good.

Toyonobori was bad and look like a fatty. Bad worker in the US & Japan.

Rikidozan was super tough & looked real ko'ing guys with chops.

Baba, at the time, was the biggest guy in the sport & could move. Looked great in those day. Major star. Grew better than Dozan.

Kojica was a very good japanese type american heel in 69 & 70. Good at getting heat.

Didn't like Takachiho much. Kind of a jobber in LA before becoming Kabuki.

These are fan comments. Nothing more.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to laugh at re-reading this:

"Robinson was enamored with real wrestling, and using it to be a great pro wrestler as well. Inoki had a similar mindset." -Dave

Inoki liked to pretend to be a real wrestler to get over, not to be a great pro wrestler. That was his hard on about "real wrestling".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: