The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2021-2022 LA Lakers Thread (I've got a bad feeling...)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: 2021-2022 LA Lakers Thread (I've got a bad feeling...) Reply with quote

Difficult to express the degree to which I hate the notion of trading for Russell Westbrook, Russell Westbrook's Contract, and Russell Westbrook's .292 3P% (over the last 4 years). The Lakers have had 3P shooting issues the last two years, and this year often had floor spacing issue with Bron & AD. We're trading our best 3P shooter (KCP) along with someone who made massive positive strides in 3P shooting last year (Kuz), both of who also work hard on defense... for someone who never has learned how to shoot.

The DeRozan talk, which may be a Schroder sign & trade, is a would be a cherry on the top of that shit sandwhich - he's an even worse 3P shooter than Russ, though is at least sharp enough not to shoot many.

Do Rob and Bron think it's 1996 and 3P don't matter much? Even in Miami Bron had 3P shooters around him like Ray-Ray.

Seriously... What The Fuck?!?!
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420901142817611779

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
The Lakers and Wizards have agreed on the trade for Russell Westbrook, sources tell ESPN.
5:16 PM ∑ Jul 29, 2021

We're fucked. I had been looking forward to this off season, and next season. Not just the Lakers part, but how they were going to tinker was a big part of it. Now... I just don't look forward to watching any of their games.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again they protected THT. I think heís a restricted free agent, but they seem to really like him. I donít think heís officially part of the Klutch crew yet, but Iím sure he will be at some point.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOC just yesterday wrote about the potential Buddy trade:

Does LeBron Need a Buddy to Get Back on Top?

It's possible that the Lakers try to flip Dennis for Buddy in a complicated sign & trade, that would likely need a third team to take Dennis since SacTo is offering Buddy around because they have a second guard they want to pair with Fox already on board (i.e. Tyrese Haliburton who I actually like more than both Fox and Buddy).

I'm not a massive Hield fan because of the defense. I really think that when you have an aging Bron you really need to get positive defensive players in all the other four starting positions along with crunch time bench players. But KOC does make the point that Buddy has been in the most loserville of all loserville franchises where things are quite screwed up. Vogel and the staff have been able to get quality and/or improved defense out of everyone they've had for a decent amount of time with the exception really of Trez. They haven't had Drummond for that long, or in a normal team environment (i.e. AD and Bron were hurt most of his time). I have some doubts that you can get Drummond to change much at this point, but who knows. So there's a chance that they could get more out of Buddy.

Of course that's going to be the question with Russ. There are times where he "works hard", but there are also lots of times where he just zones out. That's one of the big differences in a Russ vs Buddy option - Russ just isn't going to change at this point, while there is a chance that Buddy can improve his defense.
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you would hate this.

But Westbrook has been my favorite non-Laker for years. They have to nail the rest of the roster as always.

The last 3 champions were average or worse from 3 in the playoffs. Titles are won at the rim and whoís better at that than LeBron and Westbrook?

He plays hard all the time and will carry them through the doldrums. LeBron and Westbrook on the break will be something out of a Marvel movie.

I was OK with Buddy, too, but itís not just the defense. Heís turrible off the dribble, too. Hard to imagine him getting double-digit 3 attempts as the third option and thatís the entirety of his value. I hope they still get him, but as the 4th option heís great, because you can ride out the off nights.

We gave up a Pu Pu Pu Platter for Westbrook. Prefer different 3D guys for this run like changing out relievers in baseball.

Jagdip
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog is named Buddy. He's 13 years old now & I don't think he can dunk anymore.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate thinking about the Lakers after James leaves.

So who is this Howard guy everyone is talking about?

I agree with John, but I didn't see the Lakers winning anyway. I know when the injuries hit us, that Westbrook will play hard & not disappear. He might be fun to watch. But John is right.

Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis needs someone driving him all the time.

The non-LeBron minutes have sucked even when they had it rolling the past two years sans Playoff Rondo for a month. This fixes that. It might be 16 minutes a game this year and any missed games.

Westbrook was good post-ASB and outstanding the final month. Canít bury him with stats and ignore those splits. I watched the games and he remains a force of nature. He had a similar stretch with Houston pre-COVID the season prior despite ceding the ball to Harden.

If the alternative was keeping Schroder, thatís a fuck no for me. Once you shit the bed the in the playoffs, you canít be a Laker, because the pressure only builds.

Teams canít be perfect in this system. Guys who work hard on defense and can make some 3s are easy to find. A guy who can carry you for a month is damn near impossible.

I get not liking his game, even if I vehemently disagree, but they hardly took a step back and have 8 roster spots to fill.

Jagdip
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And nudging AD more to the 5, however it gets done, might be the key anyways. This does that.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis will break playing center. He knows it. We're going to need a lot of Laker luck to make this work.

I'm probably going to like Westbrook, because he is serious & works hard. I don't think he is a championship player, but he'll win you some games. It will be better than watching Schroder.-- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
LeBron and Westbrook on the break will be something out of a Marvel movie.

Westbrook is highly inefficient on the break:

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1420961454262530048

High volume, but highly inefficient because... well...

Westbrook is an offensive dumbfuck. He has been his whole career. He's 33 next year and ain't changing no matter how hard people try to put a shine on the turd with stuff like "Russ met with Bron & AD before the trade..."

John
JAG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should post all the stuff you did about Rondo to save time.

The NBA will always be about talent and the Lakers now have the most.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some chatter that old pal Dwight Howard might have a 3rd stint with the Lakers.

Also, Bronís best friend Carmelo Anthony might be a part of the Lakers.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far, the first 3 names that are going to be signed by the Lakers, have for the team in the past.

Trevor Ariza.

Wayne Ellington.

Dwight Howard.

And theyíve been linked to Danny Green as well. Trusting familiarity more?
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruso joins Lonzo in Chicago for 4 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: