The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Box Office Thread 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are still a lot of people who didn't see it on the weekend. My feed was full of people who saw it for the first time today. We're next weekend.

JW did $106M its second weekend. SW might not do that due to (i) Christmas being on Friday, and (ii) 12/26 traditionally being an insane shopping day for "specials". But who knows... it could top $100 on Mon-Thu and again on Fri-Sun. JW was at $402M after the second weekend. Pretty sure that SW will be ahead of that, even with a bigger second weekend drop. The holidays screws up comps with Summer movies.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force Awakens drew $40.1M on Monday. It blew away Jurassic World's first Monday tally of $25.3M.

Force Awakens is at $288M and it should easily reach $300M after Tuesday. For comparison, Jurassic World did $24M on its first Tuesday, so Force Awakens could drop by $10M, still beat JW and reach $300M.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yow... just YOW. I did not expect that insane of a number. $30M would have been great.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Numbers has Tuesday's estimate: $37.3 million.

It's already at $325.3M domestic gross and showing no signs of slowing down.

It will easily pass $350M tonight and could get to $400M by Christmas day. The race is now on for how fast it gets to $500M.

Mojo has already started the comp with Avatar. While the two won't be directly comparable in terms of box office per day, the question is how close Force Awakens can get to Avatar's final domestic total given how much money Force has done its first few days.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$38M estimate on Wed. Just killing it. It will be close to $100M past JW today. If it pulls in $37M again today, it's past $400M in 7 days. I expected HUGE, but this looks like $800M level with *ease* HUGE.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$27M estimate for Thursday. Mojo projects $176M for the coming weekend.

Yeah, this looks like an $800M domestic box office. It's going to breeze past Avatar if it keeps doing strong business.

Movie theater I went to today was pretty full, save for the front row.
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im reading "Concussion" is going to be in the low teens, this weekend at the box office. I'm curious to see how it does long-term. The latest batch of commercials which I saw yesterday have been touting this as a "Feel-Good movie" Which is an unbelievable statement considering what the movie is about.

Not to mention, some events of the movie may have been fictionalized. Like Will Smith's character being threatened by a former player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/26/concussion-film-gets-criticized-for-handling-of-dave-duerson/

Make you wonder why the NFL has taken no liberties with not promoting the movie during their games. They know certain aspects of it didn't happen in real life. So this may not be the gamechanger to the public after all.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A completely insane $49.3M on Christmas/Friday.

I didn't get a chance to check Mojo's prediction. I tend to think their $175M was over the top. On the other hand, $150M+ looks likely, and $160M is quite possible. Both are frankly insane numbers, which is consistent with how insane the numbers have been from the start.

It's not a question of "if" it's going to get to Avatar, but "when"... and "how soon". The pace is off the charts. There's a full holiday week coming up. Another weekend next week where it's probably going to be up over $75M. There are loads of people like me who are going to see it again. I still know people who haven't seen it, but will. Lots of money still on the table.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$153M weekend estimate, which ended up being more realistic. The old record for 2nd weekend was $106M for JW, so it killed that one dead.

It's $142M ahead of JW's pace, and destroying it *every* day since last Sun. It won $14M to $20M each day over the weekend.

Here's what might be possible: $700M by the end of next weekend. Which is utterly insane.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came in at $149M for the weekend, with a flat Sunday relative to JW.

Mon-Thu will be interesting to watch. JW dropped down to the $13M - $9M range in these days. On the flip side, this is when Avatar started flexing its potential with a $19M Monday followed by $18M on Tue & Wed leading into it destroying the old 3rd weekend record by $23M (over Spidey's old mark).

It's of course going to shred Avatar's all-time domestic record. It's so far ahead of JW and still beating it up that there's no way it will fail to put another $210M in the bank. The more interesting part is what the legs will show for $800M or $850M or $900M or who knows. It's $140M ahead (and climbing) ahead of a movie that made $652M, which puts it on an easy $800M pace. Heading into the weekend, it might be clearer that $850M is the low end.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$31.3M for Force Awakens on Monday. Not much of a drop from Sunday. People still want to see it and are using the holiday break to do that.

Force Awakens needs just $29M to reach $600M and that could very well happen Tuesday.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Probably a mix of still getting first timers and also repeaters. Looks like $700M by the end of the weekend.

Still just destroying JW's pace, which still had$240M of its $650M left in the tank. How high it goes is anyone's guess.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official: Force Awakens is a $600M movie. It drew $29.5M on Tuesday, which left it just shy of $601M.

$600M plus in 12 days. Astounding. And at its current pace, it's going to pass Jurassic World's domestic total by Friday.

And then there's the worldwide take: It's already the ninth highest grossing film worldwide of all time at $1.228 billion and it will pass Frozen after today to take eighth place overall.

We've talked about Avatar's domestic take, but its worldwide take was $2.787 billion. You have to wonder how far Force Awakens will go worldwide.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per The Numbers, Force Awakens drew $28.1M Wednesday and is now at $629M.

Box Office Mojo is projecting an $89.82M weekend, which would push Force Awakens past the $700M mark and put it in position to break Avatar's all-time domestic gross.

If Force Awakens hits that mark, it will even surpass the opening weekend for American Sniper, which had the largest January weekend ever.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo revised its number up to $104M. That might be a bit high, but it did $89M Mon-Wed, so maybe it isn't high. :)

It will top Avatar by next weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: