The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books on Bob Backlund & Parson Davis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Books on Bob Backlund & Parson Davis Reply with quote

Just got the Bob Backlund Book by Bob and Bob Miller and been going thru it for an hour. I think it's great. Same level as the Bret Hart book but it's better because Bob covers St Louis, Japan, Amarillo & his time as champ in the WWF. Can't stop reading it. He talks about all the wrestler he was involved with, and there are short interviews with the wrestlers talking about Bob. Race, The Funks, Patera, Piper etc are in it. It's smart & well done. I'm really impressed with it. Backlund talks about all his matches, without any KF. Covering Japan & St Louis. He talks about working, diet, life style and everything you could imagine. Backlund is one of my favorite wrestlers and I'm very happy he has a great book. I got the hard cover version & it looks great. (Doesn't seem like a WWE book.)

It will be real fun once John reads it. He'll have a lot of stuff to talk about. Bob spends like a page on the Backlund/Rhodes match in Japan and talks about Hogan in Philly. It blows away the crap Terry Funk book. Spends a few pages talking about the Harley Race match in MSG.

Another book I've been wanting to praise is CHICAGO'S GREATEST SPORTSMAN: CHARLES "PARSON" DAVIS by Mark T. Dunn. Parson Davis was a promoter in Chicago who managed major boxers like John L. Sullivan, Peter Jackson etc...but he also managed Evan "Strangler" Lewis. So it's mainly a boxing book, but unlike most of them, Mark Dunn covers the wrestling real well, without any bias. I've been working on a new book that will cover the wrestling of the 1880's, and finding this book was really a great help. One of the best researched books I've read and well written. If your interested in the 1880's, it's a book for you. Almost 700 pages long. MAJOR! I have great respect for Mark T. Dunn.

Both are major wrestling books.---Steve Yohe
khawk20

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear the Backlund book is good. Kooky as Bob is, I was wondering how that one would read.

Might have to pick it up for myself, along with the Jim Brunzell book "Matlands", which I understand is a pretty basic read but being an AWA guy, I can't really resist.

Just wish I had more time to read.
Kronos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know! I just recent;y picked up the Bob book, but I have not started it yet.
Kronos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know! I just recently picked up the Bob book, but I have not started it yet.
khawk20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading some reviews of the Backlund book on different forums and it is being pretty much universally praised. I went to buy a copy for my Kobo e-reader but they want $33 for it! That is insane when the Kindle price on Amazon is $14 and I imagine the actual book-book price is under $20. Kindle of course mostly cannot be read/is incompatible with Kobo stuff.

I don't get the price difference at all unless there is some exclusive deal in place with Amazon but that seems weird for a pro wrestling book.

I would order the hard copy but I have literally no where to put any more books in my house. If it wasn't for my e-reader I would have had to quit reading new stuff entirely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: