The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tarantino's new western is in Ultra Panavision 70; Dec. 25
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Tarantino's new western is in Ultra Panavision 70; Dec. 25 Reply with quote

In 96 theaters only (the digital version opens in January), the most intense film process ever commercially used: only 12 films ever made in it, but only seven ever released in it; the last one 49 years ago, to open on Christmas day. This process was usually marketed as single-camera Cinerama and the screen ratio is 2.76 to 1.

If this film is a reserved-seat attraction, I'll be there on December 26 (let the inexperienced projectionists deal with film jams/breaks on the first day). It's shot in snowy mountains in the Old West; I'll go for the scenery, if nothing else.

No, "Laurence of Arabia" was shot in SUPER Panavision, an inferior process. If it was filmed and projected in Ultra Panavision, you'd have been covered in sand when you got up to leave your seat.

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiki on UP70:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Panavision_70

And article on Tarantino's use of it:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/how-quentin-tarantino-resurrected-ultra-panavision-70-for-the-hateful-eight-roadshow-20150828

This will be interesting to watch.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little I know, the whole movie talks place in a snowed in cabin with 8 bad guys interacting. My guess, knowing nothing, is they take turns killing each other. I see it like a play, with everything happening in the cabin. Can't see how 70 mm helps it much. I love 70MM...better than IMAX.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've seen the trailer. A chunk of it is outdoors before getting to the Cabin, and then more happens outdoors after they get to the Cabin. It's largely indoors, but Tarantino isn't wasting Ultra_Panavision_70 just on indoor stuff. :)
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the trailer suggests it's an indoor movie... If it is, it'll be the first anamorphic wide-wide 3-D-without-glasses , surround-screen 70 MM single-camera, single projector Ultra Panavision film (which can add $30 million or more to the movie's budget) to have been pissed down the drain by the director other than "Raintree County."

I'm hoping the trailer was cut for the Tarantino fans who want that kind of dialogue and look. The investors are not going to make their money back from the patrons of 96 theaters who are Ultra Panavision fans. Most of my fellow 70 MM fans from the 1960s are dead, although what's left of us in the New York City area are going to the show together if the Ziegfeld Theater is one of the Manhattan houses that books the Ultra Panavision print. (They've previously custom-installed a curved screen for a single move.)

With the Exception of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad...," I've seen every one of the Ultra Panavision films released here, in an Ultra Panavision-equipped theater on its opening week before the studios cut the print to shorten the running time.

And some so-called movies of this magical process were not made or not released in any of the three various Ultra Panavision processes over the years -- studios tell lies on occasion -- such as "Raintree County" -- never released in 70 MM or "Camera 65" (virtually the same process but a different trademark to satisfy MGM. (They did the same thing with Fox's Grandeur 70 circa 1930.)

You guys in Los Angeles have quite an advantage over we New Yorkers if the Cinerama Dome is still there -- best theater for Ultra Panavision I've been in.

And if the NYC houses that show the film in Ultra Panavision here on flat screens the film's going to look like a freak show or perhaps they've developed new lenses. But it really needs that deeply-curved screen to give you the surrounded-in-action look and feel.

Poor gal I know has been listening to me rave about Ultra Panavision (any of the three processes, not the trademark) for the last 49 years. So I'm taking her, my gal-pal, buying a seat just for those of us no longer alive...our fellow 70 MM fans and we're a-goin.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinerama Dome is still there . It's the best. I saw Ben Hur there 20 years ago & I'll never forget it. I don't know much about Ultra Panavision or it's history, but many of the road show versions of major films were in 70 MM in the 50's thru the 80's. As someone who loved film but wasn't really educated to it & without smarter people to talk to, learn by experience what it was. Many of the big films looked and sounded better in some theaters than others. With time I figured out it was some were in 70MM. Indiana Jones was like that & the first two Star Wars. I saw THE ROSE in 70mm & it knocked me out. Saw Road Warrior in 70 mm & felt the same way....watching it on a big TV is not anyway the same thing. Compare the 70MM version of THE BIG TRAIL with the 35 MM....it's not the same movie.

All the advances in film & sound hasn't matched up with 70MM. When Apocalypse Now was reedited years ago, I drove across town during the day to see it at Century City in a theater I respected a lot...and it wasn't like the version I saw in San Antonio. My feeling are that it wasn't in 70mm. It was better in IMAX, but I think the IMAX of 15 years ago was much better then the IMAX we see today. Dumping 70 MM was a step back.

I think 8 is going to be a western version of RESERVIOR DOGS. They will travel to the Cabin and there may be flashbacks & storys told, but it's billed as 8 bad guys in a cabin locked in by a snow blizzard. Doesn't sound visual to me. Not like THE BIG COUNTRY or SHANE. So we're going to get 3 hours of Sam Jackson talking. Westerns are my favorite type of film, but westerns should be about ethics, morals, and heroic action. They need a hero with a line he doesn't step over. I would be standing in line on X-mass to see it while John is eating with his Father & Mother, but 70MM will be a very few theaters & it being called a roadshow, like in the 50's. So it will be only playing on the West side, Hollywood & maybe the one place in Pasadena. It will be very hard movie to see for some time. The general release with be Jan. 8 & it will be just in digital. If it bombs, good luck to 70MM. STAR WARS 7 should have been in 70MM.

But I'm with you Ken.---Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe posted:

...Compare the 70MM version of THE BIG TRAIL with the 35 MM....it's not the same movie...

Right you are; LITERALLY.

Back in the late 1920s-early-1930s, Fox Film Corporation did not know how to make a standard 35 MM reduction print from 70 MM widescreen film -- that looked decent. I don't understand the problem but it existed.

They also did not know how to dub synchronized optical-soundtracks. So they filmed five (or maybe six) versions of the movie. Not kidding. First they'd film from the 70 MM widescreen setup, using the 70 MM widescreen camera.

Then they'd remove the camera and bring in a standard 35 MM camera using the "Academy" ratio, move the actors in, relight the set, etc. Actors had to speak their roles again from different positions on the set, etc. Then they'd bring in another 35 MM camera or reload the one already there and film a 35 MM Spanish language version with mostly different actors speaking Spanish. And on and on.

So you did not see the identical film on the "restored 70 MM" version (the Museum of Modern Art, which did the restoration from the Fox original 70 MM camera negative that Fox saved in a bin next to their newsreels from the era. But the museum didn't want to spend the money making a fully-restored 70 MM print, so they restored it to 35 MM CinemaScope. At least we got a "restored" film with the original scenes intact.

You can use this as a good trick question at a dinner with friends. Problem is you have to find some reference source in-print to convince your friends. I guess you could bring DVDs of both versions with you.

Ken

I'm sitting here at 10 AM in the East, waiting for the Weinstein studio to announce the theaters with the Ultra Panavision rigs so I can order tickets on line. I'd never pay the service fee in the past; I go to the theater. But now I'm old and beat up and New York City is rather tense about the Paris bombings, so I'm staying home.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to be shown at the Ziegfeld which has a commitment to play "Star Wars Chapter 303." Damn. There is online gossip about the Tarantino movie playing at the Paris theater (which, IIRC, used to be owned by Pathe.) That 500-seat house has a screen slightly wider than Yohe's car.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't say anything bad about my mini-cooper.--Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Don't say anything bad about my mini-cooper.--Yohe

Sorry. The Weinstein Company may have to rent your Mini-Cooper to house guests if some bad omens turn to reality. A few days ago, they told their staff they will lay off about one-third of their whole film-division, the Hollywood Reported announced. I'd guess something bad is happening there.

First thing, no film company in its right mind tries to book a Christmas Roadshow motion picture into theaters a month before its expected premiere. The Weinstein gang may have cut this opening way too close and be worried about cash. After ya book the film, if ya do, and learn the grosses, ya then wait half-a-year-or-so to see the net funds start to flow in. Theater chains have a 100-year history of not paying promptly even if it's a four-walls deal.

I'm going through my spare change (I have hundreds of dollars in coinage spread around the apartment because if I don't take it out of my pants pocket when I get home, in time it will destroy the pocket by friction and weight) in hope I have enough here to offer the Weinsteins a loan.

I can't find any announcement today listing all the theaters playing the Ultra Panavision 70 version. If the contracts are not already signed, it's time to move the opening back to the same day as the digital version opens. That version is already booked.

A summer early trailer for the film looked great and much better than the current trailer.

I'll pay up to $40 per-seat to see the Ultra Panavision 70 version projected at the Metropolitan Opera House, which currently seats about 3,700 bodies, dead or alive, and has a naked stage wider than Yankee Stadium.

Ken

Edited: Chicago is getting 70 MM prints for three theaters; same for Detroit. The city of Detroit closed some years ago. Makes it look like the distributor can't get decent-sized theaters in a lot of places. Nothing official about Los Angeles County yet or Manhattan, but the Ziegfeld will not be hosting it on Christmas because they lined up the "Star Wars" new release.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to the appropriate thread:

Bruce Dern, in the "Hateful 8" looks better than I do.

http://www.twcpublicity.com/downloads/photo/th8-ac-00104_pop.jpg

Ken

P.S: I talked to the New York City office of the Weinstein organization earlier today and they told me they don't have a list of theaters showing the film in Manhattan. When they suggested I check the ticket-selling sites Fandango and Moviefone (which I already had), I thanked the Hollywood starlet on the other end of the phone and concluded I can put the money for a couple of tickets to better use buying more old newsreels.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Todd, whose name lived on long after he did because of the Todd-AO 65MM process, said it best when the high-class hooker told him she could do things that no other hooker could, he responded, "How about Cinerama out of one hole?"

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thehatefuleight.com/img/gallery/th8-ac-00027_lg.jpg

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An official promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGg2N32Z-co

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, I saw BEN HUR in 70 MM at the Cinemadome...maybe 20 years ago....and I have never forgotten it. I talk about it all the time. John and mostly my wife are sick of me talking about it. Nothing they run today, comes close to 70MM. A lot of the movies from the 50's & 60's have never been seen like they were in their time. I go back to the Cinemadome every chance I get for special showings and it's the best. The first movie I took John to was THE WILD BUNCH at the Dome.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: