The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GAME OF THRONES
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: GAME OF THRONES Reply with quote

Wish we had some GAME OF THRONES fans here. I would love to talk about it. Best thing to ever hit TV.--Yohe
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have HBO so I'm behind while relying on the DVDs, but I fucking love Game of Thrones. Wifey got me the books for X-Mas so I'm excited to dive into those as well.

Simon
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on book 2, about half way thur. Just got season 4 on DVD & watched it about 6 times over the last 10 months. Even went to see #9 & #10 on I-Max at the theater. I'm nuts about the show.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GAME OF THRONES Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Best thing to ever hit TV.--Yohe

Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck No! Game of Thrones.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

;)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeles Times
April 11, 2015
Calendar Section

"In it's fifth season, "GAME OF THRONES" is as it ever was. Breathtaking, heartbreaking, awe-inspiring and addictive, it remains the single most remarkable feat of television, possibly ever, increasingly admirable for its ability to grow rather than simply sustain."

Screw John Williams

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary McNamara is no Howard Rosenberg. ;)

John
goodhelmet

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in on the Game of Thrones love. I skip wrestling PPV matches even though I do PPV recaps. I miss NBA games. I have never been more immersed in a TV show. I read all of the books a couple of years ago but feel like I need to read the last two again to fully grasp all of the changes and characters. I know John is dropping a lot of quality shows in this thread but those are just really great shows. Each Thrones episode is an event.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it back, year 5 ruined the whole series. It sucks.--Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The King stay the King."
-D'Angelo

;)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Spoiler alert---I've only read 1 ¾ of the books, but everything else---so I don't know shit, but some of my guess's might be right. I don't believe anyone will read this anyway.)

Game Of Thrones was the #5 rated show on all of TV last week. The three NBA games were in front of it. I read that the last show got a 97% from critics.

After last season, which was great, you knew #5 would be trouble because a lot of major storylines was tied off & major characters were killed. I thought they were doing Ok, then they kill one of the leads in a terrible way & I don't know where it will go now. I'm unhappy.

Joh Snow was going to lead the battle against the White Walkers, who look unbeatable. Even after Melisandre brings him back to life, killing him will have no reason and it will be some BS thing that leads to nothing. Martin has let people know that he's coming back in the book, but the film people are sticking to the idea he's dead. Harington has cut his hair and is telling everyone his contract has been voided. Who are they kidding! Who's going to battle the White Walkers & the zombie army now. No one cares about the Night's Watch now. There a bunch of asshole who broke their vows now by killing their commander. Show will be back. They're working us.

The wolf is still around. What did the Night Watch do to him? Why didn't he help Snow?

Melisandre will bring him back, or he'll do a mind melt with the wolf. or he'll be taken by the White Walkers. I think they'll make a good guy out of the White Walker King dude. They turn everyone, why not him? Or at least make him a thinking thing.

And we were promised some things: what happened to Jon's Uncle Benjen Stark. I always thought he had become a White Walker or a Zombie dude. I think he might show up with Bran Stark & that group. Maybe he disappeared to be part of the three-eyed raven group and has been their for 5 years

And who was John Snows' Mother and Father? That's been promised to us from the beginning (If Robert didn't tell us already). I think Snow is the child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. They spent the last season turning Rhaegar into a good guy, so I think that's the idea. This means Joh has the blood of the Dragon and the true king. That's why Stannis' kid's blood didn't work, he wasn't going to be king and the Baratheons was not kings. The Targaryens were the rightful kings. I also think Joh killed the White Walked because he had the hot blood of the Targaryens, and it wasn't his sword. The dragon glass that killed a White Walker was a Targaryen thing. (Stannis said he had tons of it on Dragonstone, where the Targaryens came from before becoming kings.) The White Walker King saw Joh & knows & will come after him & Joh can then kill him and end this shit. I think it was the Targaryens that defeated the White Walkers 1,000 years ago. And they didn't return until all the Targaryens were dead and the Dragons gone. And what is the only thing that could kill the walking dead army....fire and Dragons.

In the History of Westtros book, the Targaryens were always for the good and the only family who could rule...until interbreeding created a mad king. A 1,000 years ago, they defeated all the other families because those groups were always fighting each other. (Look at the show, they are always fucking around.) The first Targaryens King brought peace when he formed all the Kingdoms into one. Look at Daenery. She is the only wise one on the show & her cousin would be Joh Snow.

I'm going to miss Stannis, I thought he was running for King because he thought it was the right thing to do. I wanted him to turn out a good guy at the end. I was really into him. But killing his wonderful daughter destroyed him. I guess having Brienne execute him was kind of cool. I would have Daenery show up on the island and had Stannis realize that she had a greater claim to the throne and bent his knee to her. I saw him as an honorable man, but dumb like Ed Stark.

But I bet Martin didn't write Brienne killing Stannis or The Hound & it isn't in the book. Martin lets none of this characters get revenge. He doesn't let them have it. I wonder if Arya killing the king's guard was in the book, but that was a minor, but Martin turned that revenge into Arya going blind. So maybe her blindness stops her search for revenge, maybe it will just go away. I don't think Martin wants to give fans satisfaction of characters getting revenge. He doesn't want them satisfied at all, because it keeps them reading and watching.

Someone needs to kill Ser Ilyn Payne, the headsman that chopped off Ned's head in year 1. The actor is too sick to play the part, so he just disappeared. They could have just killed the old fart off. (Why are they being nice to that actor, when they have killed off or replaced so many?)

My feeling are the the cult that Arya is mixed up in, is a part of the Iron Bank. They were backing Stannis and owed money by King's Landing and the Lanisters. What happened to that storyline? Do they send Arya & her friends out to King's Landing to kill the guys who owe them money & can't pay? Does Arya kill Cersei?

The love story between Cersei and Jaime is making her look good. I think she'll have the Mountain killed Jaime next year when he returns with news of the dead daughter. Betraying her long time lover, will move Cersei up in the ranks of bad guys of the show. Above Walder Frey and below Ramsay Bolton.

I wanted to see Sansa out wit Ramsey really bad. Ramsey is the greatest villain in film, replacing Joffrey. It would have been better for his father to force him to treat Sansa like a true trophy wife and her making the punk's life miserable. But the rape changed all of that & I think that was really sick and a low point of the season...grouped with Sannis killing his daughter and Joh's death. I think Ramsey will sick around thru the show and kill his father at some point....maybe soon.

I'm rooting for Theon Greyjoy. I'm all for him getting redemption after all he has gone thru. (I also think the actor has done one of the best jobs on the show). I want him to be the lost Shark brother that comes back to the family. I like the stuff between him and Sansa. They jumping off the wall was stupid. If they land on a snow bank or something & live, That's bad, If they die, that's terrible. Either way, we've seen it a million times. I bet they'll have Brienne kill him. That's how there using Brienne. She's a bad-ass dumb-ass.

Killing Ramsey is what fans want Brienne to do, but I don't think that's what Martin wants. The difference between Ramsey and Joffrey is that Joffrey was a fool who couldn't do anything, while Ramsey is very smart and a kick-ass who has personalty problems.

Some guys they need to go back to in the next season: Tormund, The Brotherhood Without Banners (who were Ned's men sent out to kill the Mountain), Walder Frey, Brynden “Blackfish” Tully, Edmure Tully, Doran Martell, Arya's wolf Nymeria, and The Hound.

Jaime should get rid of the iron hand and get a hook or a blade to replace it. Jaime hasn't looked good in a fight since the fight with Ned & he is supposed to be the best fighter in the kingdom. He should stand up & quit being a wimp. Either he and Cersei run off together or she kills him early next season. He better get his shit together. Kill the Mountain if your so bad.

What's really wrong with the show is George Martin, who hasn't written anything in 12 years. I don't think he knows how to finish it. He has no ending...a way to bring everything together, & end the million storylines. I think he's lost, and there is a lot more heat between him and the producers than we're let to know.

All these series on cable channels end up bad. All they can think about is killing people. Deadwood had a terrible ending, Boardwalk Empire last season was just a run thru of killing off characters & going against the actual history, the Pope show just died, Etc. Ok John, which one had a good ending....I know the wire. So I think it one of the faults of the cable series artform, that you have no good ending. Something to think about. It may be the only thing that keeps movies above them.

Tolkien is the best because he came up with a great ending to Lord of the Rings. Martin can't pull it off. If I was HOB I'd renew for another season and give them space and time to figure it out. Dump Martin if you have to & just don't kill everyone off. Add more shows next year if you have too.

With the high ratings, aren’t they making money. John?---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear: Deadwood didn't have an ending. It got cancelled / not picked up. When they were making the last season, they had no idea that HBO wasn't going to pick it up, so they didn't write a wrap-up. Don't blame Milch & Co: they got screwed over by HBO. If HBO had brought them back with another year, he likely would have had a good wrap for it, probably wrapping around the 1879 fire.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ended...so that was the ending.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit like saying the original Star Trek series had an ending. It didn't. Just got cancelled.

The overwhelming majority of television series are like that: they just get killed off and the writers / creators can finish the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: