The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars Spoilers Thread SPOILERS HERE ONLY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylo throws temper tantrums like a baby & gets over powered by a chick who tells him he has inferiority problems because he is not Vader. Then she kicks his ass & leaves him looking like shit. And Rey has no training & just learned she had powers.

Each Jedi makes his own light saber. Kylo's sword looks like shit & doesn't work right. As a top heel, he is a fuck up.

Han Solo used a light saber in #2 to save Luke. Every time Finn used it in this movie he got his ass kicked. He is the only guy in the history of Star War to get his ass handed to him by a Stormtropper. If the love story is him & Rey...it really sucks. Has no powers & runs from everything. He is as gutless as C3PO.

How big is the universe? So they can just travel around finding relatives. That sucks. John you just melt over any plot about fathers. You love that shit. You eat it up!

In #6 Vader had to hide his wife, a princess with her own dam planet, so the Jedi wouldn't know it....because Jedi were not allowed to have girlfriends. Did Vader have a Jedi father...I don't remember him.

I think they need a surprise plot trick in #8, like Lucas put in #2, the only one they got is turning Luke. Ya they'll turn him back in #9, but I wouldn't. --Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Kylo throws temper tantrums like a baby & gets over powered by a chick who tells him he has inferiority problems because he is not Vader. Then she kicks his ass & leaves him looking like shit. And Rey has no training & just learned she had powers.

Each Jedi makes his own light saber. Kylo's sword looks like shit & doesn't work right. As a top heel, he is a fuck up.

So was Anakin Skywalker, his grandfather. Anger issues, temper tantrum, etc.

Quote:
Han Solo used a light saber in #2 to save Luke.

Not to fight. Just to cut open a dead animal.

Quote:
Every time Finn used it in this movie he got his ass kicked.

Kylo eventually kicked his ass. But he did go toe-to-toe with him longer than a complete idiot would have.

Quote:
He is the only guy in the history of Star War to get his ass handed to him by a Stormtropper.

Han and Chewie surrendered in the movie to Storm Troopers. Shit happens.

Quote:
If the love story is him & Rey...it really sucks. Has no powers & runs from everything. He is as gutless as C3PO.

Classic Yohe.

Quote:
How big is the universe? So they can just travel around finding relatives. That sucks.

Like it didn't happen in 1977-83 with the first three movies. You're pretending this is something new.

Quote:
John you just melt over any plot about fathers. You love that shit. You eat it up!

I never at up the Sopranos storylines dealing with Tony's father issues, or his issues with his idiot kid. This is just something in your mind that I eat up every father story.

As far as the Solo father-son storyline, it's not like its developed. No one is going to confuse it with King Lear and his daughter issues.

Quote:
In #6 Vader had to hide his wife, a princess with her own dam planet, so the Jedi wouldn't know it....because Jedi were not allowed to have girlfriends.

That has no bearing on the issue of whether Jedi juice can pass from Parent to Child.

This isn't complex:

Darth --> Luke
Darth --> Leia --> Kylo

That's established fact in movies.

If Rey has Jedi juice because she's Luke's daughter, or another kid of Leia's, no one will be surprised. In fact, people were talking about it since the character was announced.

Quote:
I think they need a surprise plot trick in #8, like Lucas put in #2, the only one they got is turning Luke. Ya they'll turn him back in #9, but I wouldn't.

Beyond that, I don't think they're going to go over the top thinking they need to have a "Luke... I'm your father" major moment. They delivered two surprises here with Kylo's parents and killing off Han. The likely "big surprise" will be the parent of Rey. Beyond that, they'll likely go into why Luke went into hiding, and why Snoke has such a hard on to find him.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional thoughts now that I'm not limited to a smartphone for typing.

Rey was the best of the new characters. Daisey Ridley did a wonderful job making her strong yet sympathetic. She was so good, I wonder if she becomes the Harrison Ford of the new trilogy, as in the person who can take big roles in other films and make them work. There might be worries about typecasting, but Ford never had that issue with Han and I think Ridley could make it work, too.

As for Rey herself, I suspect she does have relations to Luke. But it's also possible she was the youngest of the kids Luke found who were strong with the Force and he hid her for her protection. Obviously, the relationship between Rey and Luke will be a major storyline in Episode VIII.

Briefly touching upon Luke: It seems like they put him into the Obi-Wan role, only he was trying to rebuild the Jedi. They set things up pretty well for the next movie as Rey tries to convince him to give it another shot.

I was fine with Finn and am curious about what his backstory will be. And, yeah, part of me wonders if he has some relation to Lando. Maybe Lando met someone who had the Force but didn't really know it. I don't think it needs to be that way, but it might be a way to work Lando into Episode VIII, if that's what they want to do. I think John has a valid point that Finn has the Force in him, but doesn't know it yet. That could get touched upon more in future films and perhaps it helps build to how Rey and Luke rebuild the Jedi, perhaps.

Han's death got telegraphed, but it definitely worked in the context of the film. I also liked that they used Han to give Rey another character to interact with, and one who Han learns to respect. The same was true with Chewbacca, so it made it believable that Chewie would stick with Rey in flying the Falcon to track down Luke.

My understanding of Star Wars canon is Wookies live long lives, so it's possible Chewie sticks around. They had another actor take scenes because Peter Mayhew had a bad knee, and I understand that actor will take the role in future films. Plus it's another character who interacts well with Rey.

Kylo Ren was a good villain and he was pretty much how Anakin Skywalker should have been portrayed in Episodes II and III. I blame Anakin's portrayal more on writing and directing than acting, even though Hayden Christensen is average at best. Still, good writing and direction can do a lot for an average actor, and that's what they did for Adam Driver.

That's not to say that Driver is an average actor, but his character was written well and you can tell he got better directing. And, yes, Driver showed he can be a better actor than Christensen. It will be interesting to see how that carries over into the next two films, since each will have a different director.

I will also be interested to see what they do with Snoke's backstory and how he came to be. Given that it's Andy Serkis in the role, and that he did such a good job with Caesar in the recent Planet of the Apes films, I'm anxious to see what he can do with Snoke when he takes on a bigger role in the upcoming films.

I know a lot of the plot points were lifted from Episode IV, but who cares about that. Plot points get overrated so much. The characters and writing are more important than plot points. I loved Rey, I liked Kylo, I was fine with Finn, and Han got a lot of good stuff to do. If you don't buy into Rey and Kylo, the film doesn't work, but they were both good and that's what really makes the film enjoyable.

For future films, the key is to keep the writing good and keep giving Ridley and Driver good direction, allowing them to blossom more as actors, and thus making the next two films work.

I hope to see it again this weekend if I get the chance. Most people say it's better the second time around, because you aren't comparing it to the previous films everyone loved and can evaluate Force Awakens on its merits.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of questions to be answered from Force Awakens, with at least a couple to which answers have been provided in full or in part.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/33-questions-we-desperately-want-answered-after-star-wa-1748953034

Note: There are 43, because 10 more were added to the original article.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone wants to talk about this:

What was the better movie: Star Wars 7, Avatar, or Guardians Of The Galaxy?

Guardians Of The Galaxy has a lot of elements of the Star War films. Wonder if the public could ever form the same type attachment to it as the SW films? If I was Marvel, I would be working on more on it, and not do any type of cross overs with other Marvel characters or movies. Make it separate & on it's own.

I see no reason to make anymore Avatars... other than making more money. It didn't have a open ending, like SW. It's not part of the American psychic, like SW.--Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think GotG and Force Awakens were both equally fun.

GotG had the tougher task of introducing characters who were entirely unknown, with nobody widely known to give them a boost, so I think what GotG is more impressive than what Force Awakens did, when it had established characters in the lineup (although Solo and Chewie were the only ones who got a lot of screen time) and had the name that would allow it to launch new characters.

I think Avatar may have drawn more attention for its special effects and how it took a storyline that had relevance to what's going on in the current world. I liked it when I watched it, but I've never felt compelled to watch it again, whereas I've watched GotG many times over and it still holds up.

I suspect the same will happen when Force Awakens hits DVD, but then again, I'm a Star Wars geek as it is... well, except for Episodes I through III. :)
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great takedown of somebody trying to pick at plot holes in Force Awakens.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/matty-granger/at-long-lastmy-star-wars-episode-vii-review-the-force-awakens-the-rise-of-idiot-/10153163095086277
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up so people may discuss Last Jedi without spoiling it in other threads.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to go back....Vader didn't have a father. In movie 4, which Lucas would like to make us think is #1. Vader's mother says there was no father & it was just a immaculate conception. You know like with Mary. Yeah....Lucas put that in the movie.

So now we know Lea has jedi powers. She gets blow out of her cockpit & ko'ed as she floats in space without a suit, She wakes up pulls herself across space in to a ship. Something no other jedi has been able to do in the series.

Rey is told by Ren, or was it Snoke, that she is a nobody & her family deserted her & were creeps. I would think they will change that in the next movie because the director from #7 is returning to do #9. & he knows who her father is. I hope. We know Johnson is lost, and doesn't want to be bothered by little things like that. Johnson will be famous as the guy who told Luke to "throw his famous light saber out the window!".

Luke is lost, then kind of a jerk & then good & then real bad & then finds himself....but it kills him...or he just floats off.

Rey goes back & forth...;.maybe seeing something in the dark side....then just jumps into the dark side & sees mirrors of herself...and in a powerful moment...nothing happens. I think because I don't remember.

Laura Dern shows up & is made the boss....first you don't know....but then she's bad, but then seems good & then really good....and she dies.

Ren goes back & forth....doesn't kill his mother...talks to Rey, even when she is being a jerk...turns good guy, kills Snoke...and then turns out to be worse than Snoke & not as interesting....and takes off...to fuck everything up...and get trick by Luke. Then he & Hux sit around with their mouth open.

Chewy, & the robots from the first series....don't do anything. They say Hi & I missed you...and that's it. The bowling ball robot gets all the action.

Snoke is the only consistent thing in the movie.....he is pure bad guy & ugly...he out smarts Ren, Rey & everyone but Yoda...then over powers 2/3 of the jedi's left (if your not counting Fisher)...but we don't know how or why....because before tell us, he is tricked by Ren ...and cut in haft...killing the only real villain & the only reason to watch the movie. At that point I stood up & was going out the door.

And jedi are fuck up people, who even at their best, just made life worse for everyone. In fact, the dark side is only there because of the light side. Kind of like heaven & hell....with angels & devils....I think...because I didn't underside any of it.

Maybe I never did. I remember hating #3. It was terrible & a mess. John felt the same about #4 & the baby Vader.

I liked Roque One a lot. Lets go back to that & maybe use read swords & forget the light sabers

Remember in the last movie, Ren is shown in a dream with like four dark side bad guy jedi types? They seem to have gotten kicked out of the movie....unless they were Snoke's red bodyguards. Was that said in the movie? Are we just supposed to know? I guess I'm not smart enough to understand SW movies.---Steve Yohe.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe no one has seem this movie & no one wants to defend it!---Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw it with the family Christmas and will likely go see it again this weekend. My initial impression was that I loved it, but who knows what I'll think the second time around.

One thing I can say is that the entire purpose of Last Jedi was to complete the transition from the original Trinity (Han, Luke, Leia) to the new Trinity (Rey, Finn, Poe) and now puts the remnants of the Resistance into a bind because they've lost almost everything.

Meanwhile, Kylo Ren is supposed to be the guy who thinks he's following in Vader's footsteps when he's not even close to doing that. Vader was far more calculating and could do more to manipulate people, with the only conflict he ever had was wanting to have Luke Skywalker by his side. Ren is far more conflicted that his grandfather and, unlike Vader, he's impulsive.

I did have a couple of issues (Captain Phasma was turned into a jobber, not sure what to make of Dern's character) and I don't think it's the best Star Wars film ever like some have declared it to be. But I do think it's better than Yohe says.

More thoughts later after I see it a second time.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some deal out there, I don't understand, that says Dern is transgender or something. It's not said in the movie but it's meant to be....Maybe. John fact check that.

Can't believe John hasn't seen it yet. Could he be in Washington?----Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine John will chime in at some point. It's the holidays and I know he hasn't been around a lot here to begin with.

I did want to add one comment: I think what Johnson was trying to get across with Rey's parents not being anyone special in particular was that he wanted the idea behind those who are strong with The Force to be anyone in particular, not just somebody with lineage to the Jedi or the Sith. In other words, it's taking out the idea that The Force only belongs to the elite, but that it belongs to anyone who realizes their connection to it.

I agree that Lucas doing the "virgin birth" idea for Anakin was a bad one. Far better if Anakin just happened to be a young kid who had strong connections to The Force. You can still do an "Anakin never knew his father" bit but have Qui-Gon sense Anakin is so strong with The Force that he thinks he'll be the Jedi's savior.

What I think we have to remember was that a lot of the stuff Lucas wanted to do originally started as just ideas floating around his head but he didn't have every single detail mapped out -- he was told to focus on his fourth film idea (what became Star Wars) and he didn't have concrete ideas on where Empire would go as Star Wars took shape. Those things got filled in as other people took on the task of writing scripts.

Hence why you have some continuity problems and some things in the prequels that are best left ignored down the road so new stories can be told. And that's what I think was Johnson's intent -- go a new direction with the franchise instead of having everything fall back on the Skywalker lineage,
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, there were plenty of people who had issues with Empire Strikes Back when it first came out. This piece details a number of criticisms and questions people wrote about at the time of the film's release.

http://www.acriticalhit.com/fans-react-empire-strikes-back-1980/
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated everything about the 3rd film. It was shit. The 4th film was terrible. There has been a lot of bad stuff connected to it over the years. John & I saw 4 together and we almost got hung by the crowd because we were making fun of it. It was a good thing we brought our light sabers.

Everyone loved the 2nd one & it's the best of the series. Stands on it's own, & has carried everything that followed.

I now like #7 & the Rogue movie.

This movie #8 violates #7.....and leave no reason for #9.

I know what Johnson was trying to do....it just sucks.

Chewy, R2D@ & C3PO were in the movie but he had nothing for them to do. The robot should be the only things in SW that never disappears, but they don't know what to do with them but make personal appearances.

It should be said, that I may one of the few posters who didn't grow up with SW. I didn't have all the toys & stuff. I was back from Viet Nam & had graduated from collage by then. I'm not that close to it. I thought the first SW was a kid's movie & only saved by H. Ford & Vader. The second movie got me interested and #3 killed all my good feelings about SW.----Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: