The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkc31

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: 1984 Reply with quote

John and Steve,

I've decided to watch only 1984 wrestling this year. I thought it would be fun to see an entire year in context. Also wwe with Caleb. The 6'6 giant. Anyway I started with khawks 1984 awa set. Great set by the way. 2 discs in my thoughts.
Bockwinkle is great and has a great variety in his matches. Better than I thought. Dino bravos leg work with bockwinkel was great. Wasn't expecting that. Crusher is the worst wrestler I've ever seen. but the amazing thing is, the fans were into everything.
Caleb loved reading aboot the king of hot dogs. That was so much fun!
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure than I have Dan's 1984 AJPW set, and perhaps his 1984 NJPW set. I can contribute those to the "project". You have the Mid South set. I'm pretty sure that I have Will's MX set, so there's the full MX run rather than just what made the Mid South set.

I have Corey's redone Hogan set... though perhaps you have that? Was it the one you used to torture Caleb with over Hogan deserving what Orndorff did to him because he wouldn't return Paul's call?
jkc31

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched disc 1 of nwa set and 1/2 of 1/23 msg show. God bless Angelo mosca jr, he tried so hard but was so green and uncoordinated but koloff led him to two passable matches and when he won the mid Atlantic title the crowd went nuts. Slater as lead heel really doesn't work. Flair vs Adams 2/3 Dallas was ok but they weren't always on the same page. Invaders bs Fuji/lee I thought was good. Fuji did 2 suplexes and took a couple of big bumps. I was expecting crusher level but I was wrong. Putski vs slaughter was ok when they started but lots of stalling. Slaughter bumped like a wild an and even juiced. I keep forgetting what a big star putski was.
I'd watch more but Caleb wants to play video games!
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the problem if you invited me over for a "1984 Hookie Day". You know that I would be sneaking in video games with Young Master Hoback and Dr Who / Sherlock / Nero Wolfe / Psych episodes with Mrs. Hoback. :)
jkc31

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patera vs Rheingans from Winnipeg. Rheingans showed great fire between patera laying around. Disappointing. Jumbo vs nick for the title. Nick knows 5 different ways to work the arm. Terry funk is absurd as the ref. Utterly ridiculous. Hurt the match. Lots of cushions after the match. John you can come over nut I'm making you watch the crusher. That's your punishment for making me a Manchester United fan.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you got to see the last part of Sir Alex's run as United Manager. :)
jkc31

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the moyes era, and th lvg era. Crusher vs Blackwell. I love Blackwell think he's great. Crusher is so bad. Yet this was only bad. Crusher did a splash but since Blackwell is so fat he only fell a few inches. Finish was great, adnan hits crusher with his cast a couple of times, Blackwell falls on the bottom rope onto crusher 1-2-3. Crusher gets up immediately and starts throwing more crusher punches. Dory jr vs slater was good. Valentine vs Ladd was weird. Valentine is the least convincing face ever. But those fans cheer who they're supposed and boo who they should too. Orndorff vs bellomo is fun, wait except for the excruciatingly long stall before the match. Orndorff was just a great heel and his piledriver might be the best ever. Muraco vs Santana. Santana is begging for muraco to do something but he can't be bothered. Andre/atlas/rock Sr. Vs Samoans. Awesome seeing the rock with his dad backstage for 1 second, then Andre waiting for Johnson to pass him so he could be last to the ring, skaaland backstage with cigar in his mouth, Sika covering the camera with his hand, Samu doing all the work, and after Andre pins Samu atlas and Johnson looking at Andre with the look of 'you like me more than him right'. My family just got up so no more wrestling for me. Happy New Year!!!!
jkc31

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to watch world class this morning. Super Destroyers were a great team. I love the masks. Tons of great moves. Very good match vs parsons/adidas. Adams vs Garvin feud with the girls involved. It's amazing how hot this feud was over 6 months. They work really well with each other. Girls involvement different for the time and very intense. Real good matches but I can see how it could get boring. Seeing the freebirds as faces in Texas was funny. They want to cheer Hayes so bad, the same women dancing to his song against Kamala and Link boo him like crazy vs the Von Erich's. The girls legit seem to hate each other. Chelsea vs crystal palace is up next.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the heck are you doing up at 5am on a Sunday? Get back to bed!
jkc31

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started with Memphis. Fabs vs moondogs. Brawl with crutches. Valiant vs assassin 2. Decent. Lawler vs savage. Savage īs a great staller works hard doing nothing țo waste time. Great match. Savage hits a piledriver and lawler pins him almost immediately. Dumb. New fabs vs pyts. Punch punch punch punch. Savage vs idol 1. Good. Savage vs idol 2. Better. Idol is one of those wrestlers I like a lot until I watch him wrestle. Savage submitting to figure 4 was something I didn't expect. Garea/Gilbert vs Fuji/lee. Gilbert looked so young with no beard. The St. Louis battle royal has always been a favorite of mine. So many heavy hitters involved. Booked well leading to future stuff. I always thought it was a great way to open up a city.
Hogan vs superstar is barely ok but I love the masked superstar. It's an irrational love. Andre/Snuka vs slaughter/Schultz. Slaughter wrestled sheik on tv that day. But is on the heel team at night. Slaughter fights the faces. But Shultz won't accept a tag and fans go crazy for slaughter when he turns. Andre vs superstar stinks but Andre seems to legit get mad at superstar which is fun. Gotta buy a rain jacket.
jkc31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched flair vs Garvin wtbs 6\84. Super physical. Lots of chops great heat in the studio. Slater vs steamboat. Steamboat was such a great face. Crowd going nuts. Slater underrated historically but is too similar to terry funk. Hogan vs orndorff. So much stalling. Iforgot how much stalling they did. Hogan seemed to juice from the bald spot. Heat insane Disappointed in the match orndorff vs Blair. Their TV match is really good. This match made me want too stop my little project. Holy cow orndorff stalls well but it went on forever. And ever and ever. He hint an enzuigiri but by that point I almost fell asleep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: