The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave Meltzer going into the Iowa/Thesz HOF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Dave Meltzer going into the Iowa/Thesz HOF Reply with quote

Big announcement in the Jan. 11 2016 issue of the WON. Dave is going into the Iowa HOF.

"It was announced that I will be receiving the Jim Melby Award at the National Hall of Fame and Dan Gable Museum, which takes place 7/14 to 7/16 in Waterloo, IA. There will be two inductees into the Tragos/Thesz Hall of Fame, as of yet not named, which is based on people with legitimate wrestling backgrounds who also were pro wrestlers, as well as the annual Lou Thesz, Frank Gotch and George Tragos awards. Chael Sonnen will be getting the Tragos award which is for a former wrestler who has used his wrestling ability for success in the MMA world. If anyone is either in the area, or would like to attend, I’d love to meet you there. The award means a lot to me, both because of the attachment to Thesz and Melby. Thesz, as Kit Bauman actually wrote in the revised Thesz autobiography, had personally asked me to write his autobiography in the 90s because of how much he thought of me, and I ended up being the conduit putting Thesz together with Bauman, who was a great reporter with a strong interest in wrestling history. When I was ten years old, I typed up a newsletter with news from California and sent it to Melby, who did the fan club column for Wrestling Monthly magazine. He not only wrote about it in his column, but wrote me a personal letter saying how much he enjoyed it. I ended up getting a handful of subscribers based on his plug, and the California Wrestling Report started from there. The reality is that my life and life experiences would have been nothing like they ended up being without that plug and that note. I had great respect for Melby, who was a reader of this publication and was one of the first group of Observer Hall of Fame voters, and remained a voter until his death in 2007."

For me, this is a great thing. It legitimizes the Observer and Dave's work over the years. And is one step forward on the idea that Dave Meltzer stands out as the greatest writer in pro wrestling history. Now if the CAC can get their head out of the 1970's....Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WATERLOO, Iowa—One of professional wrestling’s most influential journalists will receive the Jim Melby Award from the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum. Dave Meltzer will be recognized during the George Tragos/Lou Thesz Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame induction weekend on July 14-16.

The Jim Melby Award recognizes excellence in professional journalism. The award is named in honor of Jim Melby, a professional wrestling historian and journalist who set the highest standard within his profession.

“I am very proud to receive this honor because of what it entails and because of my great respect for Jim Melby and the connection with Lou Thesz,” said Meltzer. “In 1971, I sent a newsletter to Melby, and he praised it in his fan club column in Wrestling Monthly Magazine. I started getting subscribers based on his recommendation. The truth is, there is not a chance in the world my life would have taken the turn it did without Melby, and he was so gracious with me when I was in my preteen and teenager years.”

Meltzer continues to be one of the most successful and popular journalists in professional wrestling and in Mixed Martial Arts. He best known for as the publisher and editor of The Wrestling Observer, a position he has held since 1983. Meltzer is also a regular contributor to the Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Online audio podcasts.

A pioneer in MMA coverage since UFC 1, Meltzer currently serves as a MMA Senior Writer for SB Nation. His tributes to professional wrestling legends, annual readers’ awards, and in-depth business review are among his most popular features.

Meltzer was the first reporter of the modern era to cover pro wrestling for a major national publication when working for short-lived National Sports Daily newspaper through its entire existence from 1989 to 1991, and while with Yahoo Sports, was part of the team that was the first major mainstream outlet to cover MMA on a daily basis.

Frank Deford, editor of the newspaper, followed Meltzer’s career since that period and wrote in 2007 that he considers Meltzer the best sports reporter in the country.

All-access passes to the George Tragos/Lou Thesz Hall of Fame induction weekend are available for $100. They can by contacting the Dan Gable Museum at dgmstaff@nwhof.org or by calling (319) 233-0745.

A full schedule of events will be released on a later date.

2016 Hall of Fame induction class
George Tragos Award—Chael Sonnen
Lou Thesz Award—TBA
Jim Melby Award—Dave Meltzer
Frank Gotch Award—TBA
Distinguished Member (living)—TBA
Distinguished Member (posthumous)—TBA
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tragos is more than a bit embarrassing. Chael was 10-8 in the UFC/WEC, and 0-4 in title fights. Tested positive for drugs three times, and was embarrassing in lying about the circumstances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: