The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marvel & DC Movie & TV Universes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warner Bros. now has two people who are going to oversee DC Films.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-major-shake-up-just-changed-the-game-for-dc-films-1777328048

It's at least a step in the right direction. Marvel Studios has one person who oversees everything (Kevin Feiges) to make sure character stay true to source material and that there's continuity through the films.

Obviously, this alone won't improve the quality of DC Films (after all, several of Marvel Studios' films haven't been good) but perhaps they won't be all over the place with different visions for characters and attempts to pay tribute to comic books and graphic novels without actually understanding them.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, DC needs to get their shit straight on this. BvS is their biggest possible "re-launch" of the series of movies (even if Man of Steel was an attempted relaunch). That it did "just" this level of money, and folks generally didn't go nuts for it (i.e. kinda didn't like it on the whole) is bad. Time to get the shit straightened out.
Dave Dymond

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person who has been reading The Flash since I was a kid, I find it really annoying that DC has done all the work and come up with a perfectly serviceable TV version of The Flash, which now has an established fan base...but of course that ISN'T The Flash that is going to be getting his own film or appearing in the Justice League movie.

DC Entertainment is basically giving all the fans of The Flash TV show the finger, or telling them that the show is not as important as the films.

They've already explained it away by having the DC Multiverse introduced on The Flash TV show, so for example the CBS version of Supergirl exists on the same earth as her cousin Superman, but that isn't the same earth occupied by The Flash from the TV show, (or by association, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, The Atom etc.)

I just think it's really stupid. The show is run by DC Entertainment, I really don't understand why the DC heroes introduced on the CW shows couldn't have been incorporated into the films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave! :)

I think DC TV is trying to make the best out of it without getting overly screwed up by DC Movies. Or... well... hoping that DC Movies don't come in to try to take things over and screw up the nice things they have going on with The Flash and Arrow. :/

I wonder if long run we'll see two sets of fans:

* DC Movie fans
* DC TV fans

With the DC TV fans liking what they have, that they enjoy having 100+ episodes of watching stories develop over different arcs (which is very comic book style), and are just as happy to let the movies do their thing as long as they don't screw up the TV.

That seemed to be the way fans of Smallville ended up seeing their series. And by "their", I mean they feel a strong affinity and love and almost ownership for it.
Dave Dymond

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John. :D

It's funny, from the age of 8 or so, I collected many of the DC titles but never Batman or Superman. I was a huge fan of The Flash, Suicide Squad and Green Arrow, though.

In 1987, DC re-booted The Green Arrow character with it's famous "Longbow Hunters" mini-series and subsequent ongoing series written by Mike Grell. It was really quite gritty, realistic and ahead of it's time. I really liked it.

So even though I had long since stopped collecting, when the CW started making DC television shows, and started with Arrow, I noticed that they were going with the same vibe for the show, so I watched. It annoyed me that because it was a CW show, all the characters had to be young, exceptionally attractive white people with perfect white teeth, but such is the CW. I watched Arrow off and on over the first few seasons. It wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen.

I enjoyed seeing one of my favorite characters Deadshot introduced on Arrow, and later Amanda Waller. And later, they introduced Barry Allen and spun off into The Flash. I have actually found that The Flash has been much better than Arrow. They've added a third spin-off with Legends of Tomorrow, which is really hit or miss. (One humorous bit of casting has Brandon Routh who failed to make waves as Supes in Superman Returns now finding a role as Ray Palmer aka The Atom on Legends of Tomorrow.)

And now, the CBS Supergirl series is being moved from CBS to the CW, which makes no less than four DC based series which will be running on the CW, none of which will be featured in these DC movies.

I was thrilled when they announced that they were making a Suicide Squad movie, because it really never was a main title, but it was always one of my favorites. I didn't expect them to use the guy who played Deadshot on Arrow in the movie because he'd barely ever been on the show and the actor who had played him was pretty much an unknown, but I hoped they'd get somebody good.

Then I was horrified when they announced that Will Smith would be playing Deadshot. Deadshot was one of my favorites and I freely admit to not being much of a Will Smith fan. (It's not an "OMG he's black, he can't be Deadshot" thing, it's more of a "OMG the guy who starred in Independence Day, Wild Wild West, I, Robot, I Am Legend, Hancock and After Earth is going to ruin Suicide Squad" thing.)

I quite liked the Nolan Batman Trilogy. I didn't mind Man of Steel. I don't much care for Ben Affleck, but I accepted when they cast him as Batman. Of course, I haven't seen Dawn of Justice yet, I am inclined to wait for it to become available on home media, based on reviews.

But as you said John, maybe the fans of the DC TV shows should be happy that the people making decisions about the films are avoiding the shows.

I guess the issue is, comic book fans are sometimes sticklers for continuity. The TV shows seem to stick to continuity. They got the same actor who played Deadshot on Smallville to play him on Arrow. They even got the guy who played Constantine on the NBC show to play him on Arrow as well.

As I said, there is a loyal, established fan base for The Flash television show. I find Zack Snyder's attitude to be really short sighted and borderline stupid. Does he think all of the fans of the show are just going to shrug and accept that the character they know and love is being replaced for no good reason?

I am also a die hard Doctor Who fan, and to make a comparison this is not like a regeneration. They're not replacing Barry Allen with a new character. They're expecting us to ignore the guy we already accept and like, watch another guy in the same role. It would be like if the BBC tried to make a Doctor Who movie with somebody other than Tom Baker or David Tennant, while they were still performing the role on TV.

Quite honestly, I am hoping there is a backlash against DC about this. Are they planning on advertising the Flash movie during the show, I wonder? I hope Flash fans make their voices heard, because this just seems stupid. But the more I read, the more I think whoever is making the decisions for DC films (including Zack Snyder) just don't get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm (and others) are hijacking the thread, but I imagine Yohe doesn't care. :)

Regarding DC, Warner Bros. has always viewed the movie and TV realms differently and lets different studios handle them, while retaining distribution rights. It's not like Marvel which, ever since Marvel Studios was launched, has taken more control of everything and considers all films, TV series and Netflix series to be in the same universe, with the only exceptions being Marvel properties that another distributor is keeping the exclusive rights (Fox with X-Men and Fantastic Four).

So because they have one studio handling the films and another handling the TV shows, they aren't in the same universe.

Also, because the multiverse has always been a major point of DC Comics, I don't think Geoff Johns and company are worried about having both films and TV shows under the same universe.

The real issue is making sure the characters stay true to who they are, even if you offer a different interpretation. Iris West, for example, has usually been a redhead in the comics, but on the TV shows, she's black. What's important, though, is that the same characteristics (compassionate, always wants the truth, but can be headstrong) remain.

I think the bigger concern Flash TV fans have is what Zack Snyder has done with Superman and Batman and are worried he'll do the same to Barry Allen. I don't think they are as concerned about ensuring that the Flash TV series Barry Allen has to be directly copied into the movies, down to the wire. They just don't want him to be dark and brooding, which Snyder seems to think everyone should be.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split this off into it's own thread for "news" and stuff on both tv & movie universes.

The general reviews of the movies can still be tossed in the Yohe Movie Review thread, since that's our catch-all movie review there. But we can treat this one like the Star Wars thread Bob started. Also tv show reviews/discussion can go in here, as I do need to get around to Arrow and Flash soon. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yohe didn't care, but it is probably is a good idea to put topics in one spot. Easier to find.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many Marvel and DC movies and tv shows on the slate that it probably isn't a bad thing to have it's own thread.
Dave Dymond

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I split this off into it's own thread for "news" and stuff on both tv & movie universes.

The general reviews of the movies can still be tossed in the Yohe Movie Review thread, since that's our catch-all movie review there. But we can treat this one like the Star Wars thread Bob started. Also tv show reviews/discussion can go in here, as I do need to get around to Arrow and Flash soon. :)

Thank you for making this thread. :)

Actually John, I don't know how much (if at all) you ever followed Comic Books in your life, or if you are partial to DC, or Marvel. Or perhaps you just enjoy the movie adaptations rather than the original source material.

Regardless, if you were going to watch just one television adaptation of any Comic Book, I cannot recommend the Netflix series Daredevil highly enough. It is outstanding. Vincent D'Onofrio's portrayal of Wilson Fisk ranks up there with Nicholson and/or Ledger's turns as The Joker, or RDJ's turn as Iron Man. I collected Iron Man for years, and when they announced RDJ as Tony Stark, I said "of course." It made perfect sense to me, and he made the part his, so much so I can't imagine anybody else doing it.

I always liked The Kingpin (more as a foil for The Punisher than Daredevil, but anyways) but D'Onofrio does so much with that part, it's a real pleasure to watch. My girlfriend never read a Comic Book in her life, and has steadfastly refused to watch any Comic Book adaptation movie or television, deeming them "stupid." I watched Daredevil in our Living Room, while she used the computer in the Dining Room. After a couple of episodes, I caught her watching over my shoulder, and called her on it.

Her: "This is different from that Avengers crap. This is real acting and drama. That guy is really good! This isn't like a comic book with people with super powers."

Me: "There's ninjas all over, and the hero can see when he's blind!"

Her: "Yeah...but that guy is really good."

As much as I think you might enjoy The Flash (Arrow has been hit and miss in my opinion) unless you want to see that specifically because of the fact you're a Flash fan, I recommend Daredevil. It is head and shoulders above pretty much everything else Marvel or DC has put out, in my opinion.

I only say this because I imagine you are quite busy, and between sports, going to the movies, wrestling and other stuff, you probably have a lot in your queue. I'm in a similar boat. There is so much I want to watch, but don't have time to see. (I've not watched the X-Files revival for example yet, still saved on my PVR, and I want to get to this season of Wallander, and the last season of Broadchurch too.)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John never read comics, but he reads everything else. I'm a comic book guy but stopped reading DC around 1962 and stopped reading super hero comics in 1967, but I collect Conan & Robert E. Howard stuff even today. I like Hellboy. John watches TV, I stopped watching TV in the 60's, but now I like Game of Thrones & some stuff on HBO. I like going to the movies & will go 3 times a week if there is something to see. At the movies I'll watch anything...good or bad. I read books & magazines but it's mostly non-fiction like wrestling and history. Most of my free time goes to researching wrestling history. Now you know.---Yohe
Dave Dymond

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why people have stopped watching TV over the years, Steve. The quality hasn't been there for so long. However, with HBO and now Netflix and other premium providers creating original programming, I find the quality has gone way up. A program like House of Cards on Netflix is a good example. A-List talent, and even top flight directors like David Fincher involved. I think North America is finally catching up to the UK when it comes to the quality of television programming.

Having said that, network television has a LONG way to go.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So The Flash TV series ended its second season last night. All I'm going to say is that John really needs to catch up on Season 1 before getting into Season 2.

I will add that, overall, Season 1 Flash is better than Season 2 and that the Season 1 Flash finale set a high bar for any ensuing episodes.

I do think John (and Steve) will become big fans of the relationship between Barry Allen and Joe West, how Harrison Wells comes along and they'll find Cisco Ramon grow on them during the season.

Arrow Season 4 finale is tonight. With that series, I do advise John to be patient with the first season, because things really hit their stride in the second season and it's great.
Dave Dymond

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quite a finale last night. As a long time Flash and JSA fan, I couldn't be happier with the reveal of who the man in the mask was. As far as Barry's actions at the end, talk about a cliff hanger.

Bob, have you seen Daredevil on Netflix, and if so, what did you think? Am I being too effusive with my praise?
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash and Arrow are on my list to binge watch in the near future. I'm going to wait to hit Daredevil after I get up to date on those. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: