The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marvel & DC Movie & TV Universes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Dymond wrote:
That was quite a finale last night. As a long time Flash and JSA fan, I couldn't be happier with the reveal of who the man in the mask was. As far as Barry's actions at the end, talk about a cliff hanger.

Bob, have you seen Daredevil on Netflix, and if so, what did you think? Am I being too effusive with my praise?

I don't have Netflix, so I haven't seen Daredevil. I'm still weighing options for what happens after my current commitment with Dish expires (I went back to Dish after I moved again and my two-year commitment ends this month), as far as how I'm going to handle TV and Internet. Mostly need to figure out Internet options and then I can decide how I'm handling TV.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brie Larson the Frontrunner to Play Captain Marvel

Marvel isn't going lightweight on some of these roles. Look at Doctor Strange: Cumberbatch supported by Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tilda Swinton and Rachel McAdams.
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglkYMGRYlE

This actually looks decent, compared to the drekish trailers of Batman vs Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGoQhFb4NM&feature=youtu.be

This looks to be a big smash as well.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John pulled over something about The Killing Joke animated movie onto Facebook. Here's James Whitbrook's review.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/io9-review-the-killing-joke-movie-is-stuck-in-the-wors-1784494855

A couple of things to note:

* The original comic got criticized for using Barbara Gordon as a plot device to advance the story between Batman and The Joker.

* Bruce Timm's animated series have hinted that Bruce Wayne and Barbara had a relationship that wasn't always "father-daughter."

With that said, as Whitbrook notes, Barbara Gordon evolved into a more well-rounded character thanks to what other writers working for DC at the time she became Oracle, and even with the New 52 relaunch that retconned out the events of Killing Joke, she remained a more well-rounded character.

So it looks like when Timm and company put the movie adaptation together, they did a poor job of humanizing Barbara Gordon and just went with whatever perceptions people had about Batgirl in the past.

ETA: Another Kinja review, which includes a point addressed in the movie that Alan Moore (who wrote the original Killing Joke story) said never happened.

http://thedude18013.kinja.com/the-killing-joke-animated-movie-the-duck-review-1784320741
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Squad has been getting disappointing reviews so far. 36% at rotten.tomatoes.com.

Its going to be a smash, but maybe its not going to be the turning point of the latest DC film universe.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably similar to the box office legs of BvS: 50% of the lifetime US gross was made on the first weekend ($166,007,347 of $330,360,194), 63% was made by the end of the first week ($209,072,793), and 79% was in the bank by the end of the second weekend ($260,408,047). It had zero legs past the second weekend, and even that second weekend was a massive drop (-69.10%).

If Suicide Squad had good reviews, I would have guessed better legs like Deadpool. Not that Deadpool didn't bank a lot early: 65% of its gross was in the bank by the end of the second weekend. But that's still a hell of a lot better than BvS.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the studio made a mistake to go back and reshoot scenes.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/report-warner-bros-turned-suicide-squad-into-a-mess-i-1784760580

When looking at the source material, people need to bear in mind that Superman has traditionally lent itself to lighter material (though it can be complex), Batman has tended to straddle the line while Suicide Squad takes a darker tone than even Batman has.

Supposedly the studio wanted Suicide Squad to be like Guardians of the Galaxy, but the source material isn't even comparable. GotG was lighthearted with dark undertones because that's how the source material is.

Suicide Squad is not. It deals with dark material from the start.

Warner Bros. needs to realize that what fanboys are more upset about is the movies aren't staying that faithful to source material, not that every movie needs to be a lighthearted romp.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22% rating from Top Critics on RT, which is horrid.

89% Cap 3
23% BvS

Yow. Lots of reviews still to come in, though. It has time to move... somewhere. :)
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Leitch summed up the problems with the DC movies in a nutshell with his review of Suicide Squad.

https://newrepublic.com/article/135794/suicide-squad-unleash-hell-dont-ask-questions

Quote:
A movie like this—one more interested in sensation and fanboy wankery than a coherent story—is always going to have some plot holes here or there. But the problem with Suicide Squad is that its haphazard storytelling decisions are indicative of the total lack of a steady hand on the tiller. It is astounding, when you think about it: Warner Bros and DC are attempting to build an entire DC Universe, multiple movies with countless characters and intersecting storylines, without at least laying down the basic trackwork of a justifying plot. They really are just winging this. Marvel has had enough trouble integrating its ever-widening universe into a manageable set of movies, but they’ve thought all this through. The DC Universe, as set down by Zach Snyder in his ruthless and deadening Batman v. Superman, doesn’t bother: It just bludgeons you, over and over, before walking absent-mindedly off a cliff. These two-hour-plus monoliths are such complicated machines, they both need to spin off from previous films and also construct whole planets for future films. But the filmmakers of the DC Universe treat them like a child banging rocks together. The result thus shouldn’t be surprising: A cacophonic, senseless disaster.

That's one of many reasons... but, yeah, Marvel hasn't had a good film in every installment of the MCU, but you can at least tell they have a basic framework in mind, while DC/Warner stumbles around because the Warner execs overreact to everything.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are showing this thing in Montebello four times an hour tonight. Like it was a big deal or something. There is even a mid-night show which is rare these days. If Batman is in this fucking movie for any length of time, they should be really pushing the idea in adds & etc. Get Batman in the title. He sells tickets. So I'm going tonight expecting a bomb. What the f, they should let us know what city they are going to destroy.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Critics on RT update:

89% Cap 3
70% Deadpool
36% X-Men: Apocalypse
28% Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
23% BvS
22% Suicide Squad

That's just brutal for DC. It's not just that Marvel is killing it, even with non-MCU movies like Deadpool and the panned X-Men movie this year. The freaking TURTLES in a bombtastic movie got better reviews.

The Numbers is predicting $125M for Suicide Squad. Mojo thinks $145M.

Deadpool did $132M, or $152M over its Presidents Day four-day weekend.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put Tarzan in there. It's a comic book movie. I would think that more company did Tarzan than any other character. Dell, Golden Key, DC, Marvel & maybe even Dark Horse.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that Tarzan isn't a comic book character. He's a *book* character:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs

And Tarzan movies came out before he ever hit the comics.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is one of the major newspaper comics and one of the major comic book characters. He is the only comic book that has been published by all the major companies. Dell...Gold Key...DC...Marvel...Dark horse ...and maybe more. And always the best artists. If you were studying comics, you would have to cover Tarzan. I collected them. Get out your computer John. He has even done cross over stories with Batman. I just hate when your fucking wrong John....the creation of computers sure saved your intellectual life.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read the books & I never thought they we're very good. Seen every movie many times.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: