The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marvel & DC Movie & TV Universes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Squad shows why Marvelís movie universe works and DCís does not
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good summary about the two movie universes.

I think what those comparing the two need to keep in mind is that this isn't about whether the movies themselves are good overall, but whether they actually resemble the comic book coming to life.

The first two Superman films did that, even if they are now dated in some ways. The first Batman film did it, even if it doesn't hold up when compared to the Nolan trilogy.

The issue I see is that it comes down to what Disney execs understand versus what Warner execs understand. The Marvel universe started before Disney acquired Marvel, but Disney has allows the Marvel vision to continue instead of trying to turn it into something else.

The DC universe was Warner getting too involved in the process, before realizing they needed Geoff Johns (a DC guy who has an extensive background in writing comics) to oversee things, but is forced to work with a parameter that Warner execs have already set.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point: Marvel used its earlier films to get its lesser-known heroes rolled out, and in some cases, made them fan favorites.

* Black Widow: First appeared in Iron Man 2, which was going to draw people after the first Iron Man was so popular.

* Hawkeye: First appeared in Thor.

* Falcon: First appeared in Captain America 2 and has traditionally appeared alongside Captain America.

* Black Panther: First appeared in Captain America 3.

Widow has become a much loved supporting character. Panther was well received in CapAm3 and I'm betting that carries over to the solo film he'll get.

Ant-Man and Guardians were rolled out with their own titles, but GotG fared well with its audience and Ant-Man got tied in a bit to Avengers to help sell it.

Doctor Strange has already been mentioned in other films briefly (Stephen Strange) and I suspect that film will be tied a bit into another franchise that already has a film. Captain Marvel is likely to be introduced into the next Avengers film, before the solo film comes out.

So Marvel at least has an idea to get the lesser known characters rolled out or figure a formula that can get them "over" with people who don't know much about them.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Spidey was rolled out in Cap 3. Fury in Iron Man 2, after the earlier credit teaser in IM1.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't include Spidey because he is popular enough to stand on his own, even though the last Sony film (Amazing Spidey 2) was a box office disappointment.

Yeah, rolling Spidey into CapAm3 was a good way to lead into the new Spidey film. But I suspect that Marvel would have been able to do a Spidey film and have it fit into their movie universe without having to introduce Spidey in another film, given how popular and well known Spidey is.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supergirl and The Flash will cross over for a musical episode.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/11/supergirl-and-the-flash-crossing-over-for-musical-episodes-this-/

That ought to be fun. :)

If you look up Neil Patrick Harris and The Music Meister, you'll know why I think he needs to be the villain. ;)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)

I need to stop Netflix binging on British cop shows and get around to the DC TV universe. :)
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Warner Bros. should do to save the DC Extended Universe:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-warner-bros-needs-to-do-to-save-the-dc-extended-u-1786059387

Yeah, I'd agree the studio execs have been a big part of the problem.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Warner CEO Admits That the DC Movies Could Be Better, But, Hey, They Made Money
http://io9.gizmodo.com/time-warner-ceo-admits-that-the-dc-movies-could-be-bett-1786910018
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY Magazine spent most of this week's issue listing "The 50 Most Powerful Superheros". I thought it was preety much a joke suited for today crowd.

#1 was Wonder Woman!!

Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Wonder Woman trailer:

https://youtu.be/1Q8fG0TtVAY?list=PLVfin74Qx3tUT-xIY0_xefei1p3auVaCh

I'm getting more and more geeked up for this one. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight is Dr Strange. ---Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they started the four-show crossover of the CW's DC TV universe last night and dropped, among other things, this little gem.

There were a lot of other moments in which I laughed or geeked out.

I'm hoping they roll the crossover out as a stand-alone DVD or Blu-Ray, in which they could add the deleted scenes. While there are a few things you'd have to know from previous seasons of the shows, so far, the crossover episodes have enough to stand on their own.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the second part of the crossover, I may have to take back the idea of rolling it out as one special edition DVD... but that's not a bad thing at all.

In fact, last night's episode of Arrow (the 100th episode of the show) was one of the best I've ever watched. They lifted the storyline from the "For the Man Who Has Everything" storyline in the Superman comic book, in which it's imagined what life would have been like if one hadn't become a superhero.

Still, there was enough on the crossover to remind everyone of the ongoing storyline. It was amazing to see how well they worked the motif that Arrow usually follows into the larger realm of the crossover storyline.

For anyone who hasn't watched Arrow yet, you definitely want to watch at least the first two seasons so you understand what's going on with the 100th episode.
Dave Dymond

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only watch The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, but I knew about the "Big DC/CW Four Night Crossover Event" so I set my PVR for all four shows. I was excited, because I remembered the Invasion crossover from back when I collected DC Comics. I was looking forward to seeing it.

Supergirl was first. So I started to watch it. By the first commercial break, I had seen nothing about the Dominators, so I started to visually FF through the episode when finally, The Flash and Cisco showed up.

IN THE LAST 30 SECONDS OF THE EPISODE.

The rest of the entire episode had literally nothing to do with the Alien Invasion. All that happened was Barry and Cisco show up at the end of (what I assume) was a standard episode of Supergirl, and ask Supergirl for help with something. And she says okay, and goes with them. And that's that. And what they did show on Supergirl was shown again on The Flash, so nobody really needed to watch Supergirl to see it.

They hype this as a 4 show crossover, and then have absolutely NOTHING about the crossover on the first of the four shows. WTF?

As far as the Arrow episode, the whole "hero gets a glimpse of what life might have been like if only..." angle has been done to death in Sci-Fi, most notably on Doctor Who ("Human Nature") and Star Trek: TNG ("The Inner Light.") But it was okay.

On the whole I'd give the entire Crossover a C - at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: