The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Here Will Go Back to Theaters Once They Reopen; How Soon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Who Here Will Go Back to Theaters Once They Reopen; How Soon Reply with quote

So there are some heavy-duty movie fans here and it's been months since the movie houses all closed because of the pandemic. When those theaters reopen, if they do (several chains are making noises about cash-shortages, and independent owners, where they still exist, such as Laemmle, don't have unlimited sources of reserves), when and under what conditions will you return as a paying customer?

I haven't been to a movie house since I made two attempts to see the 70 MM version of the Quentin Tarantino thing. (Both times the 70 MM projection equipment was out of commission.) In Manhattan, it's becoming clear that Lincoln Center will not reopen this year. Two of the four main constituents; the Metropolitan Opera and the New York Philharmonic, have cancelled all of their 2020 calendar-year live in-theater events (the Met plans to open on New Year's Eve).

I've found all sorts of new reality-TV on Youtube, along with an enormous selection of complete 20th century films whose owners either failed to renew their copyrights or have simply been uploaded anyway.

Will you want to sit in a crowded theater? Eat snacks from their concession stands? How will you feel if someone simply has to cough or sneeze even if they're not ailing?

We need Yohe's reviews but can't risk sending him out there too soon.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to the movies, I sit down front....away from people as much as possible. That's in normal times. I also go to late shows, after 10 PM on weekdays. So I don't see a lot of people at the movies. Can't tell how many times I've been the only guy in the theater.

Other than a TCM showing of 1933's King Kong, I've only been to two films this year. There hasn't been any thing to see. I'm sick of cartoons, CG crap, or super hero junk. there is very few films with real people in them, that I want to see. So if it continues with the teenage crap & horror films....there is nothing to see.

James Bond I want to see. Nothing will stop me from going to see that.

I will go if there is something to see. Movie are meant to be seen in a theater. It's what I do, but I'll stay away from crowds.--Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will likely go to theaters when there is a movie I want to see. There are a couple that are to be released in the coming months that I want to watch.

Only issue then is making time to see those movies.

One thing I'm wondering about is how soon they'll start producing movies again. They've pretty much stopped that with the pandemic. It may be worth asking if we reach a point when the theaters don't have anything to run.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding movies to see... here's the trailer for the last great Western I've seen -- and they ain't makin' 'em like this any longer. Shot on film, the way movies were intend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTWYKf5hXIg

And the story behind the story of the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBzNOpIn7Cc

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: