The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George R. R. Martin talk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: George R. R. Martin talk Reply with quote

I've been reading two books by George R. R. Martin. Haven't finished either but the site posted something that belonged in my review section, so I want to fill the space with something.

FIRE & BLOOD is kind of the story on the Targaryens kings of Westeros. It's big over 700 pages. It's like a review of all of them, giving details but moving fast thru the years....which was the weak point of the GAME OF THRONES book. You know this book has an ending. I like it & read some of it each night before falling asleep.

Then there is A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS which is a 350 page collection of three short stories. It about a poor hedge knight named Dunk (Sir Duncan the Tall) and his square Egg, who is 10 years old and ends up being King Aegon. I guess in another book in the years to follow. Once you get into it, it's very good. Unlike the other books, it cover a very small part of Westros history, and each story builds into something bigger that you'd expect. I don't read much fiction, but I like this. I'm starting the third story now. I'm impressed with it and Martin.

So I know what Martin's been doing. I don't think he ever had a finish to GAME OF THRONES but now the TV show has given some structure to the story & I think he'll follow that ending while adding his own touches. Get it in book stores in a year or two, when they open. ---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the virus hit, the first thing I did, to pass time, was to watch all of GAME OF THRONES from year one to the end. It wasn't the first time, and I've probably have watch all of it six or seven times. I love the thing. Fuck Conan. I love the ending....it's perfection. The series was always a take on real history.....all kings are creepy assholes. If you thought the ending would be some happy thing, you were not watching. The ending fit in with everything they had planned from year one to the end. ---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: