The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

See Howard Hawks as a star WRITER on MGM lot in 1925; others

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: See Howard Hawks as a star WRITER on MGM lot in 1925; others Reply with quote

Tonight/Sunday (actually tomorrow/Monday, at 1:30 AM Eastern time on Turner Classic Movies, they are showing a silent promotion of their studio's behind-the-screen stars, and some actors, shot as a studio promo and released to theaters in 1925.

This version is about one-half hour long; I've seen it, and Hawks, back then, was a top-notch scriptwriter. The print is superb and it's 90 years old.

See director Fred Niblo (did the greatest version of
"Ben-Hur, A Tale of the Christ"), actresses Norma Shearer Joan Crawford under her then-screen name of Lucille Le Sueur, directors Josef von Sternberg, Erich von Stroheim, King Vidor, Tod Browning, William Wellman and studio vice president Louis B. Mayer, producer Irving Thalberg and others.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got thru watching it. Interesting & in great shape.---Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I just got thru watching it. Interesting & in great shape.---Yohe

Wish the Turner Classics people would put a soundtrack on the promo so that all the people are identified. Most of the directors I recognize from having seen still-photos or filmed interviews. But not all. Hawks, even as a writer, is hard to miss.

Anyway, glad you had a chance to see it. There may have been a longer version back in 1925.

IIRC, way back when, we bought some 25th anniversary footage of the Fox Film Corporation from a Fox News hoard. It wasn't much except it documents that Fox spent his life believing he founded his company in 1903, not 1915, and he ought to know.

The executives there today don't even know who he was or when he began his company. But at least his is the last of the founding fathers of the American movies business whose name is still on the company's marquee.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I kind of found interesting, was the historical library MGM had in 1925. Watching movies I sometime wonder how they researchers got all their info for sets, stories, & costumes. 1925 was really early in the movie business, yet they got a room full of, what would be now, rare books. I bet their is a place today that has all those same books & everything else written since....and everyone uses them.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: