The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave at the CAC Dinner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Dave at the CAC Dinner Reply with quote

So the announcement has been made, and I can talk. Dave Meltzer is going to receive the CAC James Melby Historian Award at this years dinner on May 1 to May 3. And that's why I'm going one more time.

Also being honored are Kevin Von Erich, Paul Antone, David Sierra, Tully Blanchard, Bobby Simmons & Glow women. That's why it's my last year.

Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What's keeping Kevin?"

;)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin will be pleased to see me. I'm going to hide behind Dick....maybe put on one of the Destroyer masks.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't post much if anything about this years trip to the CAC Dinner. Had a great time, at least the actual dinner on Wednesday was. Tuesday wasn't very good because the night was given to the Glow Girls, who are nice, but not true wrestlers.

Got to stand around with Dave for a half hour while standing in line for the dinner to start. He looks real good. Still athletic. Seemed to be enjoying himself. Inside he was with a bunch of young guys and Bryan, who I didn't know. He knew & got along with everyone. He gave a good speech & mentioned me.

I sat with The Destroyer, Wilma, Kurt Beyer, & Dan Westbrook. Dick seemed Ok. Was walking Ok, but isn't talking as much. He is now 86. Kurt is a great guy. Told me stories of the AJW dojo. Told me how many push ups & stuff he had to do the first day. He said that they didn't teach how to work much. Seemed to be conditioning & shooting. He said he didn't know if it was worth the efford....and he had learned more from training with Dick. He talked about all the AJW wrestlers who showed up at the dojo, but the big stars didn't come there much. Kobashi had been in the class before him & was there all the time. He said Kobashi had passed the stage where they treat you like shit, so he didn't have to do anything....but he did everything the new guys did...and Kurt really respected him.

I talked with Tully Blanchard for 15 minutes & I liked him. Very normal & smart. Didn't try to get himself over. Wish he'd come every year. J,J, Dillon who I know pretty good was with him.

Our good friend, Kevin Von Erich, no showed picking up his Lou Thesz award. Yeah didn't bother coming. I kept saying "what's keeping Kevin?"

The dinner was over by 9:30. They had trouble in the past with it lasting too long. How I think it's too short. I was back in Montebello by 3:00.

Lano was nice to me as always. B Brain Blair to doing a great job as president. Jim Ross did a super job as a MC. Ross I respect a lot. Patterson, Steamboat, Sgt Slaughter, Sabu, Jerry Brisco, Terry Funk, Mil Mascaras, and Jimmy Hart was there for the dinner, but there seemed like a lot of the old regulars were missing. But the place was full the last night.

I asked about Ric Flair & Dory Funk Jr. The story is that they aren't going anywhere unless they get paid. Sammartino doesn't fly. Gene Okerlund was there & got sick or something....and Jim Ross had to run everything. That's it. I ate a lot. Oh yeah, Kurt Brown bit me. At least it was just on the arm.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: