The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dunkirk & news for Ken

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Dunkirk & news for Ken Reply with quote

Hey Ken

The new DUNKIRK movie is going to be, at least partly, in 70MM!

Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for the information. After I read your post here, I checked the IMDB and they list a mish-mosh of photographic processes for the movie, which they state is coming out in August. Since some parts were filmed in IMAX (I don't know if it's the 15-perf version) and some in digital image-capture, I'm, alas, not optimistic the film will be shown in New York City projected off of film and in super-wide-format on a huge RECTANGULAR curved screen.

Portions of the movie are listed as having been filmed in Super Panavision 70, a fabulous old widescreen process which was used for Lawrence of Arabia and was David Lean's first experience with super-wide 70 MM and six-track stereo sound.

Below is a link to a photo of David Lean standing next to a Super Panavision 70 film-camera:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BYmZiMDQxMWEtMWVjMS00YzdjLTk3ZWItZTk5NTNhOTFhNzI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE5MzM3MjA@._V1_.jpg

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

DUNKIRK has NOT been filmed in 70 MM Super Panavision -- at all. It's a freakin' hoax and people are wising up. Paul Allen's Cinerama Dome in Seattle, WA, is booked for the movie but is advertising it in vanilla 70 MM (with portions blown up) and not Super Panavision.

The producers/studio used flat cheap film in 65 MM width for some portions of the film. Other short portions were filmed in expensive 15-perforation IMAX. Still others were not filmed at all but shot on digital IMAX, and much of that phony-baloney footage was shot in plain low-resolution digital.

Genuine Super Panavision prints need to be shown on a curved screen for best effect, and I only know of a few theaters left with Cinerama-type screens.

In New York City they can show the picture at the Cinema 3 theater on the East Side which only has about 50 seats (not kidding) and a flat screen 14-inches high, but does have 70 MM film capability because it's intertwined with Cinema 1 and Cinema 2 -- using a single print for all three shithouses.

So I won't be bothering with the Panavision 65 hoax and will wait for the footage to appear on an appropriate screen, such as the one in my apartment.

Hoax, hoax, hoax by the studio's publicity operation. Maybe their toilet paper is 65 MM wide?

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, DUNKIRK's trailer are uninspiring & I can't see 70mm helping it any. I don't see how today's public is going to buy it. Maybe Batman is in it somewhere. It seems like a HEAVENS GATE type project.

Ok Ken....explain the difference in what we see on the screen between film and digital. I don't know if I can see the difference. I know a lot of major director don't like digital but I don't understand the reason why. If someone did explain it to me, I might be able to see it. I know what they are, but don't understand the different results.

Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDITED.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: