The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L.A. Dodgers = Fun (MLB Thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. The Bums, er, Dodgers have been completely dominant so far in the playoffs - not dissimilar (I like double negatives) to the Dubs' run earlier this year. They were the best team in the NL all year and have backed it up in the post-season. It should be a fun World Series, unless the Dodgers win. ;-)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good win. Gem by Kershaw.
guren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time the Dodgers' bullpen would like to give up a few baserunners (or even one) would be perfectly fine with me.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about Justin Verlander a lot. I don't think the Dodgers can score on him. I think he is as good as Kershaw. I remember him almost no hitting LA in Detroit this year. Up till then I didn't know him. Couldn't believe Detroit would trade him. He was the face of there organization. If he wins tonight, like I think he will, it's a dog fight in Houston. If the Dodgers do win, we're in good shape. Last night was too easy. It just played out like every other game this year.

I wanted to play NY. Houston, seemed to me, to be a bad National League city. I wanted to beat a American League team in the World Series. There never was a bid rivalry between LA & Houston. I hate Cincinnati, SF, ARZ, Atlanta, SD, & Yankees.

Doesn't seem like Houston researched the Dodgers & Kershaw very well.

I hope everyone knows that Kenley Jansen should be Cy Young winner & maybe the MVP. He has been the one consistent thing on the Dodgers over the last 2 years.---Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Game 2 was an all-time crazy, wacky, kooky, nutso ballgame. Check out the win expectancy graph:

glenn
guren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Game 5 was an all-time crazy, wacky, kooky, nutso, insane, ridiculous, hilarious, intense, absurd, exhausting, and looooong ballgame. Check out the win expectancy graph:

glenn

Last edited by guren on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was something.
guren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for Game 7. Game 7s are cool. I would normally stay home and watch tomorrow's game (like I did today), but I fear the outcome will be so unpleasant I might as well go to the office instead. Goodl luck to your team.

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is over.--Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for baskeball. Basketball is cool. Now we can focus on hoops.

Congrats to the Dodgers. They had a tremendous season and they will be strong contenders for many years to come. They have some of the best young talent in baseball and they are led by extremely smart people. A Dodgers championship in the near future seems like a foregone conclusion. They are a likeable team, too. That pisses me off. ;-) One more thing. If you are not familiar with him, Andy McCullough, the Dodgers beat writer for the L.A. Times, is a super-talented writer and a hilarious follow on Twitter (@McCulloughTimes). I first started reading Andy in 2014 when he was a beat writer for the Kansas City Star covering the Royals. He has a dry, subtle, deadpan form of humor that I find hilarious. Dodger fans are lucky to have him.

glenn
guren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes 6 division titles in a row for the Dodgers. They overcame a 16-26 start and ended up 21 games over .500. They are just so deep. Somehow they withstood injuries to Corey Seager, Justin Turner, Kershaw, Ryu, seemingly everyone at one point or another.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched just about every game. Funny thing was that it was different people doing it this year...at least until Turner woke up. Going on...they have big problems in the 9th innings, something they never worried about in the other years.. ---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another year has passed us by.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty amazing team again.

Seager, Bellinger, Buehler, Verdugo, Lux... local sports talk radio suggested trading *all of them* before they got to the bigs, often for rent-a-players, to try to get over the top in chasing a World Title. Instead, the Dodgers have kept them for various reasons beyond them just being very good prospects:

* cheap contracts

Guys are loosely cost-controlled their first 6-7 years in the bigs, depending on how much you screw them over when bringing them up in their rookie year (see Kris Bryant). If they blow up like Bellinger, you are going to need to PAY them once they become arbitration eligible, but it's less then if they were a free agent after 4 years.

Cheap contracts let's you do things like not really worry about the Kershaw extension. It's 3 only years, you kind of hope you get three years like 2018 (which is pretty much exactly what he's doing this year so far), but if he keeps getting more banged up... it's only 3 years, and those cheap contracts let you take a $31M a year flyer on an all-time great Dodger.

Cheap contracts let you toss $12M a year at Pollack. He's not exactly my type of BB & OBP & HR player, and he was on the wrong side of 30 when we signed him. But... he's career .283/.335/.499 vs LHP who also doesn't have a massive career platoon split (.278/.338/.451 vs RHP). In an OF where there also are LHB Bellinger, Joc and Verdugo, it's good to have a reliable RHB... especially in the playoffs where teams try to flip the Dodgers line up with platoon swaps. Pollack's ability to hit RHP at least moderately respectable means that if you bring him off the bench for Joc or Verdugo, and the opposing team flips back to a RHP, you're not completely lost at the plate. He's also historically been a pretty decent defensive CF, which is a bit of an issue with the other three: Verdugo is pretty mediocre in CF, Joc has declined over the years there, and Bellinger is getting stretched there. Cheap contracts allow the Dodgers to not worry too much about tossing $12M a year at a player who is basically depth... but could be important depth in the post season, while in the regular season the Dodgers are all about depth and versatility to slog through the marathon 162 game campaign.

There are things like that all over the roster that are thanks to the cheap contracts of their Kids, and have been for several seasons. They were able to eat Kemp's contract last year because of it.

* fire lots of bullets

Fans get stressed out that the team hasn't won a World Title in this run. Fuck it... lots of team don't win titles in runs. Look up the two stretches of runs the Rangers had. Or the Indians of the 90s & 00s. The Halos from 1979-86. The Killer B's Astros. The Mets in the 90s. Shit happens.

On the other hand, firing a lot of bullets gives you a lot of chances. The Boys of Summer won exactly one World Series. The Braves of the 90s & 00s took one. The Dodgers of my youth took just one in 1981, with a flukey left over title in 1988 that really didn't have much of anything to do with the 1974-81 teams. In a sense, the 1988 team was part of the up-and-down run from 1983-88 that got a world title out of 3 bullets in the playoffs.

I'm okay with the Fire A Lot of Bullets concept of running a team. I grew up with those 1974-81 Dodgers, and Vince told us about the Boys of Summer all the time. I flat out loved those 1991-2005 Braves. I'm totally okay with this run being like those and coming away with just one World Title. I'd love more, but I'm not stressed if we don't get more.

Of course I do want at least one. ;) And it would be great to bag more than one. But keep firing away.

* they let you make tough decisions

Lux is going to end up long term either at 2B... or at SS if Seager keeps getting hurt and is too expensive relative to the injuries... or 3B if Turner (who is 34) gets some combo of too expensive, too banged up, or too declining come some point next season when he's in his walk season. Theare some tough decisions in two of those spots, with 2B being the easiest. But if they have to make a tough decision, having a kid like Lux around potentially makes it easier.

Cody and Verdugo have made tough OF decisions easier. Cody's ability to play 1B also makes a decision on Muncy down the road easier if he gets too pricey - Cody is 5 years younger than Muncy, with Muncy being 30 this time next year, and a bit less-good this season than last year. Part of that is likely due to playing more at 2B this year... and some of that may sort out next year with Lux at 2B. But he's going to be north of 30 when he hits free agency, and the cost of his long term deal at that point likely will be over priced given a likely decline. Having other people to be able to slot into those roles is big.

The Dodgers still have a massive payroll. But they don't have any Albert Puljos contracts on the roster. They don't even have any that were instantly crappy like Andre Ethier's.

Okay, so Kenley Jansen's contract is bad. But it has just two years beyond this season. We could get lucky and have him be an idiot and opt out of his last two years this winter. That's not going to happen. But it's just $18M and $20M. In the off season, they likely can find a team with payroll space to trade him into, with the Dodgers picking up a big chunk of his contract. That would get the salary off the roster for luxury tax purposes, while the Dodgers eat the money. Those cheap contracts allow you to eat $38M combined over the next two years without worrying too much about it.

I haven't even mentioned Will Smith because I honestly don't know what to make of him. He started hitting the long ball at an off rate last year in Tulsa that's wasn't terribly consistent with how he'd hit before. Then he topped even that this year at OKC, which was again pretty odd. Then he topped even that when he got up into the Bigs, which is Really Odd. If I'm a really cynical guy, I'd say that he's on a "good diet" if one recalls the old wrestling joke. (Side note - I'd worry about that a bit on Lux as well, who has put on a shit ton of muscle and credits it to his "diet" and workout program). If Smith is on a "good diet", we know from past history:

- that can stick performance for a good number of years
- there are health/injury risks
- he plays the most demanding position when it comes to health/injury risks

So... I don't know what to make of him. I do not think he's going to be a .700 slugger over time because pretty much no one is. He's .270/.353/.649 this month, and .212/.278/.485 in the past two weeks. .600+ is a stretch as well for a sustained person. On the other hand, he's slugging almost .500 in that two week stretch where he's not hitting well at all, so... maybe he is a .500 SLG one he figures out what the rest of him is. He's shown a willingness to take walks and get plonked in the minors. I'd be real happy if the real Will Smith turns out to be a .255/.350/.500 range hitter. That would be a heck of a valuable catcher. But again... I have no idea what he really is.

But the thing is... he's on a cheap contract and he's young, so it's not hard to take the time to figure out what he really is.

He's another of the current examples of why you don't trade these guys away for 2 months of a relief pitcher to shore up the pen.

Anyway, this is another fun team.

[Note: I edited the title of the thread so it can be about more than just the 2017 team]
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have back ups for the back ups. And they do everything right. I've watched every game for 4 years now.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: