The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mayor de Rat-Man

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall where I posted the link to the footage of a rat running up and around some guy's face on a New York City subway train. It was reflective of what's going on around my neighborhood with the rats, some of whom were candidates for political office during recent elections. So I'll stick it here and if JDW wants to move it or delete it or send it to Detroit, that's fine.

But here is a news report from DNAinfo.com , which is a local news source that has gotten more important since the New York Times all-but-abandoned its coverage of the City. It's about our Mayor de Rat-Man perhaps reading The Other Arena and realizing we have a rat problem. Here's an excerpt:

"...Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a $750,000 effort to wrest control of the Upper West Side from the pizza-fiending disease goblins at a press conference Thursday.

'We know how tough it is to fight rats and we know it'll be a long time before we eradicate them totally,' de Blasio said. 'But we also know we can do a lot better, and what is unacceptable is to have the quality of life of people in our neighborhoods undermined by rats.'

The move comes after reports of rats jumping into baby strollers and running rampant across the neighborhood's parks and playgrounds this past summer..."

He didn't mention the subways because, due to hocus-pocus and corruption, de Governor of NY is in charge of the NYC subway system. So why should de Mayor take on a problem affecting our Manhattan residents when he can duck it and lay it on de Governor?

He will probably be re-elected by a huge majority because none of the other candidates can read or write. The ones who can are either old and senile like me or too busy making millions by thievery.

De article in entirety:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170929/upper-west-side/city-spend-750000-upper-west-side-rat-problem

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken

This section is for Bob & John posting about the week's movie boxoffice.

Let's put our old man rants about rats & NYC etc from the two of us in the section below. Or on one of them. Unless you want to talk about boxoffice returns.

I have fun with our rants, but very few of the posters here are over 60 like you & I. We're free to post anywhere, but it's better to not mess with John & Bob's boxoffice reports. It's been going on for years.

I'm very interested in NYC stuff & animal life, but the posts should be about entertainment in some way. Kind of anyway. I think there is a OT section.

Soon John with be over 60, and he'll understand our rants & join in. Let's wait for that. He is going to be bat shit crazy.

Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: JDW; Take down my last post & this one, please. Reply with quote

JDW,

Since Steve is right, as he usually is, please take this and my previous post in the box-office thread down. That post serves no purpose to the thread, no one cares, and if I knew how to take it down myself, I'd do it and save you the work.

Sorry.

Steve, all I have to say is...oops. I can tell you that bein' senile is hard work.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try and make it clear the de Mayor stuff is not a comment upon Italian Americans, but an attempt at humor (my brand), the best mayor this city has had in the last two centuries was an Italian American.

His name was Fiorello H. La Guardia (and though the subsequent mayors ignore his memory since he was honest, ran the corrupt politicians into the gutter and held this city together during The Great Depression and World War II. He also modernized the place for its people over the opposition of every crooked politician, fixed the subways and did more to make New York City a place for decent and middle class people than all the mayors since, put together.

They named an airport after him; they should have named City Hall in his honor. He had vast amounts of low-cost housing built, all mannner of public facilities and was a friend to the poor, the struggling and a place full of people most of whose able-bodied men were at war defending the U.S. in Europe and Asia.

When New York's newspapers went on one of their periodic strikes, there's newsreel footage surviving of him going on the municipal radio station and reading the Sunday papers' color-comics (a separate section of Sunday newspapers which, next to sports, was probably the most popular section of the dailies. (No television way back then and lots of locals didn't even have the cost of a movie ticket.) And kids couldn't vote. (I was too young then to recall him now.)

He served 12 years, was ailing, and died in 1947, two years after his last term ended. They REALLY, really don't make 'em like that any longer.

(He's heard/seen here reading in-character to help entertain the audience):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9tCcrrcak

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: