The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article: Movie Theaters are Shit-Houses w Bad Viewing, Audio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Article: Movie Theaters are Shit-Houses w Bad Viewing, Audio Reply with quote

I've maintained for over 25 years now that movie theaters are turning into houses of out-of-focus/underlit projection and sideways-screens coated with dirt and scum. And the sound is usually awful and bleeds from the next auditorium in multiplexes... On and on, I don't want to beat a dead horse (which was 3 rows in front of me the last time I attended a showing). Some NYC theater screens are smaller than Yohe's TV set.

Well, today The Washington Post did it for me, although their writer lacks some grasp of the technical problems the theater-owners don't care about.

Now that grosses are down, it's dawned on movie fans that they're paying to sit there and watch films crapped-up by lousy exhibitors and studios and neither cares.

Read it for yourself:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/09/20/if-hollywood-wants-a-scapegoat-for-poor-ticket-sales-blame-movie-theaters/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-c%3Ahomepage%2Fstory#comments

It'a time to grow mushrooms in these dark and dingy dumps.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theaters are cleaner than they've ever been. Years ago they only cleaned them once a day. It was a mess. You don't see that now. Guess they got sued a few times. You would thing the giant rats in NYC would keep things clean up & food off the floors. They need to be doing their jobs.

I don't live in NYC or in the heart of down town, but on the East side...away from the rich guys in Pasadena....we don't pay for parking.

I don't eat at the movies. It's crazy to do so. To do so, makes it your fault. As far as food goes, I only eat once a day.

Crowds don't bother me...because I go to the late shows on weekdays...and I sit up front.

Watching a film on TV is nothing like seeing it in a theater. I'm not giving that up. If Blade Runner, or something good like it, is playing in a theater...I will go....and I have it on DVD & Blue-ray. The old films look great on a big screen.

I like getting out of the house & today there isn't many place to go to. Book stores are gone. Stores are all same & run by franchises & never change. You can't go to ball games anymore. Only thhe rich can do that. Parking at a Charger football game is $40. Dodger parking is $25. It's more than I use to pay for everything. There is no pro wrestling anymore. All I got left is movies.

So I will take what I can get

I think being part of growing old, is a dislike of driving. The thing I liked about John in the good old days, was the fact he liked to drive. Now those days are gone. I think my driving has gotten worst & I worry about my Cooper breaking down & not being able to pay to get it fixed. So I'm not driving to West LA anymore.

Ken....being old means bitching about everything. There is nothing else to talk about.

As for me....10 minutes ago my BP was 117/68 and my pulse was 49. I walked in the gym yesterday. I did 3 1/2 miles in 58 minutes...and the total was 5 miles. Lifted weight at home. I've only seen by Doctor three time in the 3 years I've been retired. But I'm mad at the world & I've never been a bigger dick to people. (I didn't say my dick was bigger. I'm only telling the truth here.) I feel like I've always felt....except once you stop moving it's hard to get going again. If I die soon, it will be a surprise to me.

I'm starting to enjoy not doing anything. Doesn't bother me as much. Every day is the same. Get up at 12:00...play with my timeline project...about 3:00 or 4:00 go eat....then gym or movies or TV with the Dodgers. Watch all anti-Trump stuff on MSNBC....and back to the timeline project. Go to sleep about 5:00 in the AM & then start all over. I can tell one day from another...it's all the same...but it's Ok. The weeks fly by.

I wonder about this timeline project. I've been working on it for a couple of years.....and I have no idea if it's worth while or anyone would be interested in it. The only person I let see it was John....because I know he'll be negative, but I know how he thinks. If he said dump it....I might dump it. But it covers everything in wrestling from 1860 to 1983....and at times it seems pretty good & I enjoy working on it. So I sent it to John....and I don't think he read it...he never said anything. The guy I'm working with....said it was art. So...that's what I'll be doing for a few more years. It's getting near 700 pages....and I'm working in the 1940's now.

Sorry I went off topic Ken...and messed up your rant.---Steve Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, your post didn't mess up anything.

Bedsides, The Washington Post's column's and my gripes involve dreadful management of theaters/studios resulting in awful projection/images and sound, not stuff on the floors.

I'll bore the board visitors tomorrow with my version of your post. I lived in Los Angeles relatively briefly several times when I was in my 20s and 30s and really liked the town. Of course half-a-century ago everything was very different than now.

Had I been able to get a full-time reporter's position, with health insurance, on the Los Angeles Times, I probably would have stayed in L.A. Other than it, there were no other newspapers I wanted to work for. The Los Angeles Daily News (the old Valley News) didn''t exist my first time out there, and the Los Angeles Herald Examiner hadn't hired more than a handful of people in decades. When I was out there once, the Newspaper Guild (of which I was a member in New York), had been on strike against them for over 10 (that's ten) consecutive years.

More tomorrow, unless the rats in the subways rise up and eat us all (there were all manner of subway delays and breakdowns today and some people are venting by going after those creatures. Perhaps one-third of subway users are packed, and if someone pulls off a shot, ricochets are a major risk. I'm sticking to the buses and walking. But there are no rats in any of the theaters I know of in Manhattan. The bad films and hideous presentations keep 'em out.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're near 700 pages now, it seems like another Yohe SUPERBOOK is coming and we're back to the issue of how are you going to get it bound when it's printed?

I've been an avid reader ever since I was about age six and my old man brough home New York City's two major tabloids back before I was old enough to start public school (they cost two-cents each then). Between the two, the Daily News and the Daily Mirror (Hearst-owned), they sold three-million copies every weekday and a total of FIVE million on Sundays.

(Many cities in this area, back-when, had newspapers that did not publish Sunday editions, and those cities' residents could choose between Manhattan-based papers and newsreels because there were no TV sets for much less than what a new car cost until the beginning of the 1950s.)

In the last decade or so, I've stopped reading free books at the library or on loan from the library or at bookstores (there still are some with chairs to sit on here) because I can't read six-point type any longer. You'd think the self-destructing publishing business would wise up to the fact a higher percentage of older folks read than younger folks, but you'd be wrong, as are they.

Recently, the technology-prehistoric New York Public Library began loaning books online that can be read on home computers at any size type you want, so I'm going to sell my Kindle when I find it (which could take years, but it's here in the apartment somewhere). Better still, we now can view online movies on loan from the library.

I'm divorced and live alone so I can stay inside and not deal with other humans. You have a family, so you have to get outside -- it's normal behavior.

I urge you to find the nearest courthouse that your vehicle will hold up to get you to and back and start attending trials. Most courtrooms are empty, but the trials going on can be fascinating, particularly in probate court (Surrogate's Court in New York). You have an almost absolute right to read any and every will filed for probate and if there's a court-fight over the estate of the dead person, it can be fascinating. Not kidding.

Or murder trials often offer better entertainment than most movies. Get to know the clerks of the court and they'll direct you to the best trials.

If that doesn't interest you, try Senior Citizens' groups that have stuff that could interest you, such as old-fart's basketball games and get yourself back sinking baskets.

I get up every morning, happy that I made another day (and hoping for a lot more after that) and it takes me about three hours to unstiffen enough to go out, weather allowing.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is close enough that I used to be able to walk there, but now I can take two buses and be there in 45 minutes when I'm mobile enough to be able to stand still while looking at about a few TRILLION dollars worth of art, a lot of which I enjoy repeatedly visiting.

They never look the same twice, especially when the museum replaces specific Old Masters paintings (Modern Art sucks) with other ones without announcing it, which is always a thrill (again, not kidding; I email friends about these finds and they do the same for me). In recent years, mobility problems kept me from my weekly rounds at specific times when the joint is not crowded beyond reason -- there are times each week when the place, which is three blocks long and technically in Central Park, is empty but open.

Then there are a few mini-museums that are funded by billionaires, including deceased people's spouses or children or grandchildren. They get so much 500 to 3,000-year-old stuff out of Europe and Asia for quiet exhibits here that I have to wonder if cash gifts aren't a factor in the loans. My then-lady and I got to see the oldest know image, at the time anyway, created on a wall, of Jesus. It dated from about 150 years after he died, so I doubt the artist painted it from his memory.

No one in the general public knew it existed and The New York Times boycotted the show because my lady wanted to be an art critic -- and is an art expert of the first rank -- and I wrote most of the article and we sold it to a weekly newspaper which printed it before the show opened, with her byline alone. (Fine by me.)

The mini museums are free. The Met requires a suggested payment of something like $25 but has to accept any sum, and I never pay more than one nickel (not kidding). Hey, money is tight for us old folks and the more visitors they get, the more funds they get from the City and the State and the Feds and rich donors.

I don't know what the museums situation is out in La La Land (dreadful movie, which, IIRC, you didn't care for either) regarding museums. Does The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences have a free-admission policy to its exhibits? The Getty seems to be too far out of your way. But there are a bunch of new museums since the last time I was out in Los Angeles County/Orange County.

Then, since you're getting your 80th birthday party thrown by me, and I'll find a way to get out to LA, if no one else does and I'm still around, and you're likely to make it to 90 and older, there ought to still be the opportunity to go walking in the neighborhoods of the filthy rich, to see how they live.

I used to do that in NYC's Bronx County, where there are such suburban-looking neighborhoods where they have private guards and private snow-plowing services -- but the streets are public and the guards left me alone after I flashed my press pass a few times. What does one family do with a 40-room house?

And on and on. There's more to do than sitting in a dark theater with an out-of-focus low-resolution image on a screen. I take food with me since I only get hungry in the middle of a movie when the movie is boring. Then, after I have an apple or a sandwich, I get up, fold up my cane, put on a loud-colored cap and wobble around before going into another dump in Manhattan's uptown multiplexes. The ushers are usually comatose anyway.

I'm relatively healthy except for senility and mobility issues. As for blood pressure readings like yours, congrats on keeping them at those surprisingly great figures. Keep on truckin'.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's LA Times reports Haim Saban and his wife Cheryl have donated $50 million in Food Stamps to help pay for the behind-schedule Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' museum -- which should be finished either in a couple of years or a couple of decades -- it is so far behind schedule.

With that kind of money involved, I'd bet they're gonna charge local Seniors more than teeny-bopper tourists. The building is now being designed by the Blob -- architect Renzo Piano, whose buildings look like damaged garbage cans and which sometimes waste space by providing spare floors for such possible things as swimming pools.

Piano designed the new building for the historic NY City Morgan Library and Museum, and built it to scare off flying saucers and wrecked the old outdoor garden where we used to sit and sip coffee between walks through the galleries and hallways lined with masterworks. He made room for six bowling alleys and put up a Brutalist glass elevator that runs as often as the subways. It would have scared George Lucas at the time it opened.

You're gonna have real fun if Piano sticks to his love of buildings that lack adequate bathroom facilities. Those flushometers may scare him; he made sure there's only one fully-public mensroom in the entire new Morgan Library, Museum and gigantic receptions room for rich folks' weddings.

When I reviewed the new structure, built, in good part, over the old one, using three buildings, and opened in 2006, I tore into the empty public space, lack of adequate new exhibit space and freak-show building. There is also no genuine access for the disabled, in violation of law. The other local reviewers, including the fool who was then the NY Times's critic (and I virtually never wrote reviews) bent to kiss the Morgan's ass.

The organization then took me off of their press list. So what? The whole press corps pretty much ignores the Morgan now, and my decades-old singular denigration of the new building has become sort of middle-of-the-road by today's arts-critics' observers. Instead of just acquiring more Old Masters works, they acquired the papers of Bob Dylon -- or maybe it was Marshall Dillon (played by James Arness).

When you finally get to see the Academy's under-construction joint finished, remember to prepare for a lack of facilities...

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken

You ever try to get into Trump Tower? Tell them you need to shit on a gold toilet.

Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Viewer wrote:
Piano designed the new building for the historic NY City Morgan Library and Museum, and built it to scare off flying saucers

This is a great line. I can just imagine an alien spaceship approaching NYC, catching a glimpse of the Morgan Library and Museum, and the ET captain saying, "Nope. Gotta turn this baby around. We're not going near that thing."

glenn
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Ken

You ever try to get into Trump Tower? Tell them you need to shit on a gold toilet.

Yohe

I've been inside the Trump Tower. In my days off of work, which were frequently weekdays, I loved (still do but don't practice it any longer) walking the streets of New York. When you do that, if you consume as much coffee and water as I do (some sort of non-alcohol addiction), you need to keep track of where the free and accessible facilities are, and one person even wrote a book on this subject, with maps -- which sold well, but not to me since I had my own mental map back when I had a brain.

(But I wish I'd thought of that topic as a book.) In Manhattan, holes like McDonald's and Starbucks lock their bathrooms and won't send someone to open the unisex facility unless you buy something -- which you either then abandon on a table and hope it's still there when you return, or you take the food or drink into the bathroom with you and put it on the wet, slimy floor while you make use of the facility. I have balance problems, so when I pee, I need to use one hand to lean on a wall to keep from falling over (my cane doesn't help in that situation, so I put it aside.)

There's a McD two blocks from here where I used to meet a friend for coffee until she needed to go to the facility and, she recounted, witnessed one female (alleged female) performing oral sex on about four male workers there. (Any size coffee is 99 cents plus sales tax at that location.)

Hey, she's a cultured lady in her 80s who's been all over the world and has no reason to fabricate. She won't return to that place. Further, I saw what appeared to be narcotics dealing going on in a bathroom in a Roy Rogers in midtown once. The dealer kept the stash behind a removable ceiling tile.) Didn't really matter since it looked like no one had cleaned the place since it opened.

So, back to your question. Trump (now renamed Nero) Tower, before he started running for President, is supposed to have a public sitting space-mini interior-park, along with bathrooms and such, under the control of the New York City government as part of the tax break that allowed his group to build the place with taxpayer dollars.

The building's lower floors are full of public stores; high-end joints you'd expect on Fifth Avenue. So before the Secret Service and the police made it hell to get around in Midtown, though it was difficult to find a place to sit inside the building, or a bathroom, you could come and go into the building as you pleased.

It's not a bad-looking. Finding accessible free bathrooms in Manhattan is a problem, much of it caused by drug users who used to shoot up inside them, and derelicts who used to sleep and bathe in them. Don't blame Donald Duck for the bathrooms problem here; you can blame the Emperor for everything else, including the imaginary public space inside his building that the rest of us paid for.

As for gold toilet seats, I don't recall, but doubt it, because then I likely would recall. Or not.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a flying saucer repulsion device?:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4a/e6/7b/4ae67b0121e38ef28c20c4d41ce96df0.jpg

The Americans With Disabilities Act, which was in effect when this organization rebuilt itself circa 2002-2006, required that the entire building be made handicapped-accessible. Try rolling a wheelchair up these stairs, which represent even other staircases (there was, when I reviewed the joint, a tiny elevator that required a staff member to operate.

These stairs, and other staircases, weren't even there prior to the $100 million-plus rebuilding. They put 'em in because architect Piano is a nut job who belongs locked in the sub-sub basement of The Morgan Library for the rest of his life.

But frequently (I mean most-of-the-time I've been there since), there was no such elevator attendant present and the gate to the elevator was closed. If you have lost the use of your legs, I guess these scumbag billionaires expect ya to get out and crawl up the stairs:

http://42mzqz26jebqf6rd034t5pef-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/IMG_25261-2-500x346.jpg

The Morgan's bowling alley and private ballroom and hall for hundreds of filthy-rich creatures (you can see the same staircase again: notice the elevator?):

http://www.aviewoncities.com/img/nyc/kveus11409s.jpg

An Old Morgan exhibition hall (which is still there), where you can now hold a private party if you have enough money:

http://todaysthedayi.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/p11107291.jpg

J. P. Morgan lived in the original buidling and collected some stupendous manuscripts. But he never intended the place to be a "museum" and until 2006, its name was "The Morgan Library." Period. No mention of museum for the public, by him or his heirs

And to make certain there was no confusion, he gave or willed most of his monumental collection of paintings and other art to the Metropolitan Museum, a few miles north and vastly larger. He didn't want a museum on the site of his home, and apparently didn't trust his own son (the idiot with the dwarf sitting on his lap at a Congressional hearing during The Great Depression, decades later, which Jr. helped cause).

The kid was locked out of the great collection after the old man croaked. The collection is still at the Met, but has been spread over the huge museum and lacking a separate section of its own, has to be looked for -- ya gotta read the explanation cards to see who, or whose estate, donated what. Before the Met put its collection on the Internet, I used to photograph the small cards (never using flash -- which is rightfully prohibited) so I'd have my own records.

You'd be amazed at all the great art J. P. the-elder left or gave to the Met. IIRC, The Library used to cost 25 cents to enter and was full of dim hallways loaded with manuscript pages and other goodies. I wonder if there was more on display 20 years ago that there is now.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guren wrote:
Ken Viewer wrote:
Piano designed the new building for the historic NY City Morgan Library and Museum, and built it to scare off flying saucers

This is a great line. I can just imagine an alien spaceship approaching NYC, catching a glimpse of the Morgan Library and Museum, and the ET captain saying, "Nope. Gotta turn this baby around. We're not going near that thing."

glenn

One view of the roof (they hadn't installed any Divariable-Veeblefurtzer anti-flying-saucer equipment at the time this photo was taken, but you can see the roof has a bizarre, alien-repulsion design. Pictures of Sigorney Weaver are prohibited because it's well-known aliens are attracted to her.

http://www.themorgan.org/sites/default/files/images/about/1991-garden-court.jpg

Funny thing...the tree you see is genuine. They exhibit dull indoor-growing trees now, and, as you can see, the new space has no manuscripts or other art on display, unless you consider the tables and chairs art.

Hope this helps.

Enough of shit-house museum-additions for a while; now back to shit-house movie theaters.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or shit house, shit houses made of gold. Can't believe an American would vote for someone like that! Doesn't that give a hint about the guys character. I could see him getting the vote of Goldfinger. Or some French guys that their revolution missed 200 years ago. This is my "What the Fuck" topic, I can't get away from.

Did NYC get rid of all the hookers that were on Broadway? I kind of feel bad about that. Maybe they all got jobs on HBO.

Two days ago I went walking along the mighty Montebello Rio Hondo River. I was on the bike path & I looked, but didn't see any rats. I don't know, if you know this, but I'm a white guy. I know some people think I'm Japanese because my name is Yohe. John is still pissed off about it. But I'm really white & I sleep during the day because I worked 35 years on the night shift. I'm so white that GAME OF THRONES wanted me to play a zombie. So I decided to go walking in the 93 degree sunny day with my shirt off. I figured it might be my last chance before the Summer ended...well if it ever ends. The river bed is isolated & it wasn't going to upset anyone. Your all alone.

So I walked. In the gym I do 3 1/2 miles an hour, which is what small time walkers do at age 69. Sun was really hot, so I kind of just walked for two hours. An hour out & a hour back. I have a super $20 watch that tells we when to turn back. I thought my problem would be getting sun burnt. I got half way and I got thinking it wasn't a good idea....and I worried about sun stroke. I used to run & play tennis in the hot sun in places like El Paso, 33 years ago, and I liked it. But I don't know now that I'm 69. It got that I was stopping under bridges for shade on the way back. But I made it Ok. Actually it was hard but it didn't kill me.

You know, there are people living along the Rio Hondo River. You see their beds & stuff. There are places where there is kind of green stuff like with a jungle. The ones I did see, where nice people. You wonder what there lives have been like. Wondered how many of them worked in the White House before Trump took over, and if there was any room for me once my savings and SS run out. I was going to ask them about rats on the river, but I didn't know the word for "rat" in Spanish.

So I got home & started to see if my color had changed. I was still white. Actually no change. At least I thought I'll get a sun burn....but no, When I lie on a white sheet, I'm camouflaged. Not even a little red. What the fuck....is that fair. What is it about this old man shit? No buddy told me I had to stay white the rest of my life......I did lose 5 pounds. These are not my golden years...it's my fucking white years!

If any of you guys have any question....feel free.---Steve Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 42nd Street hookers have been shunted off to other locations by the police, under pressure from the owners of the renovated show-theaters that Disney and other companies renovated, rebuilt or built-from-scratch over the last quarter century down there.

But the ol' 42nd Street theaters had all been converted to movie houses before World War II and ran first-run films on double bills or even triple-bills the same day the films opened in the first class movie houses on Broadway and the East Side. The unspoken reason was the first-class theater owners and City Fathers didn't want blacks to patronize or even walk on Broadway. If I didn't mind sitting in brightly-lit theaters (to keep the ruffians from killing each other and me), i could see the same films on large screens that were running on Broadway for one-third the price. Plus I got multiple films for the single admission (IIRC 75 cents in the afternoon vs $2.50 in a Broadway or East Side house.

We old farts are either moving to Florida (why not be warm when the hurricanes hit?) or, if you love NYC and need public transportation as a i do, you stay in your rent-regulated apartment and fight the building managers in Housing Court in endless wars. Generally, as long as owners pay their lawyers' legal fees, there's no other penalty for tenant harrassment.

Lots of people around here moved into rentals long before their buildings converted to cooperatives or condominiums and got filthy rich as a result. Next door, had I lived there, when the 12-story building converted, an apartment like mine cost about $36,000 to purchase, and is today worth about 25 times as much.

My then-lady and I looked at a large new apartment in a new building selling for $11,000 per-room (on a very noisy slummy street back when, and we could have afforded it. But we liked where we were and didn't buy in the new building. Had we done so, today we'd be sharing a million dollars if we sold the place. It's the luck of life...who knew?

I got the life I wanted, but old age and a publishing business that pays less to reporters now than it did when I started circa 1965, after free college, doesn't interest me. I'd rather post here for free than say 'yes ma'm' to a 25-year-old retarded editor today for popcorn money. The kid-editors are so stupid they don't know who George Washington was. They think the portrait on the dollar bill is of Donald Duck's daddy or some-such.

Hey Steve, have you considered teaching exercise classes for Seniors? Here in NYC, there's no license I know of that's required if it's not "therapy" and it's a freelance job (no deductions for taxes, etc., although you'll owe taxes) and you can pick your hours.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: