The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FILM: Rudy Dusek Slams Man Mountain Dean; NYC: 1934

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: FILM: Rudy Dusek Slams Man Mountain Dean; NYC: 1934 Reply with quote

After a couple of decades seemingly lost forever, the Sherman Grinberg hoards of Paramount Pictures newsreels and the Pathe Freres newsreels company's American division's (later to become independent of the French parent) have returned to the semi-civilized world.

Here is a clip from a 1934 match held in New York City wherein Man Mountain Dean and his slimmed-down 302 pounds came East from Los Angeles, where he was a box-office king, to rassle. He took on shooter Rudy Dusek and part of the match can be seen at the link-site.

Grinberg's new management claims it holds the largest private newsreels archive in the world and other places.

Soundtrack added after the match was filmed by Paramount Pictures's newsreels company. I urge everyone not to fuck with the Grinberg company's footage, which he lawfully acquired before Grinberg croaked at a surprisingly young age of 54, which was almost 40 years ago:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sherman-grinberg/published/39939.mp4

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken:

I asked you a year ago to make a single Film thread similar to Yohe's Movie thread:

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2287

Even Steve agreed in that thread.

Please. It's a simple request.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I apologize but I can't work that way. I'm elderly and semi-senile and it has taken me some 60 years to get where I'm at in the world of newsreels.

I hold you in very high regard as someone who is probably totally subsidizing this board out of your own pocket, and as a sane, rational, reasonable person.

If I can't respect your wishes here, then it's totally on me. I'll stop posting separate match excerpts and honor your wishes. I genuinely doubt more than a few people who are members here even look at my posts and I doubt there's any reward to you in dealing with my postings.

Sorry about making extra work for you. There really isn't a darn thing you've done with my overposting except put up with the pain-in-the ass they create for your board management.

I don't intend to go back to previous wrestling boards to post clips. I should have asked you, off-board, about my work methods since the board is not mine and I don't want a board of my own with all the responsibilities that come with it.

Best wishes and thanks for putting up with the work habits of an old fart. I hope to be able to post a rant now and then about 70 MM film and the fact that Panavision Super 70 is a trademark for a very different and inferior process than the old Super Panavision 70.

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

It has nothing to do with being old or senile. You've been able to make 12 posts in this thread that morphed into being about a common topic:

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2337

You know exactly how to find your own threads on a topic, and how to post like this on these boards.

There is no reason you cannot create a cool Ken's Film Thread and post all sorts of nifty things in it.

You just choose not to. That's not cool. :/

John
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

You're comparing apples and a ham sandwich. The thread with Weinstein in its name is a news-aggregation operation wherein I wanted to see if I still could follow and report on something that, in decades past, I might have been well-paid to report about for a newspaper. Here I simply reposted, with attribution, the work of others.

The way you want the newsreels links done is, to me, not viable and it would be... work. If I can't pursue it as a hobby the way I want, then it isn't a hobby. I'm trying to be respectful of your board and why don't we just drop the subject?

You can always find someone else to do whatever you want the way you want it. You might have to pay that person, but that's neither here nor there. I'm not in the market for a job.

All the best and let's just leave this alone. You're welcome, as is your right, to delete my separate posts on the visual history of wrestling. I won't be offended. Good luck with the board. As time goes by, I expect some other boards to fold and this will be the main place for Steve's written history of the wrestling racket.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this. Had computer problems for awhile around the time it was posted.

What the heck Ken....don't give it up.

If you post it at one site or place. Your fanbase will know where to look for it & come looking.

Once a post slips off the front page, no one plays any attention to it. All my old movie reviews, put up before I started putting them together, are off the page & no one reads them or knows they exist. I don't even remember them. If you put them together, people will maybe see something their interesting in....and start going over all the other clips.

At the Thesz Forum, you probably have more people following your clips & photos....than anything I write. I don't care because I'm driven...and I'm going to do what I have to do. The movie stuff means nothing to me (John asked me to do it, and how I can't stop. I know it's junk...but I go to the movies & like to bitch about stuff.), but the wrestling history I've got to do.

Show your clips here....and put them up at WC too. Put them in one place, so every new one will bump it up & keep it on page 1...where people will look at it. At WC do what you want & let Mask deal with it as he pleases. You got friends there.

Saying you have to have a new thread with every new post...is just being a dick. If your going to walk every time you don't get your way....they'll let you walk. Go a head & get pissed off at me, it's just the truth.

The clips & photos, at times, are important stuff. It's your thing.

If you show your ego to John or Mask....they will not kiss your ass. It doesn't work that way.---Steve Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I spend more time looking for, and reading, your wrestling-scholarship posts and movie reviews than I did going to hoard-sites I know of for the purpose of finding wrestling footage. Wrestling film clips are but one of several topics in the old-films world I'm fascinated with and grateful to be able to view.

As for ego and all that, with certain things I definitely am full of myself and don't give a damn what others think. A key point is that I don't make any money off of this and never sought to. And since I'm retired with a place to live and enough to eat, I'm not seeking to make money from my hobbies. So without the monetary ingredient, there's not a drop of motivation for me to continue to post classic wrestling clips in any manner I'm not comfortable with.

As Satchel Paige is reported to have correctly noted, "It ain't braggin' if ya done it." I haven't ever previously bragged here or on any rasslin' board, but I've certainly done, and done better than most, a number of the things I set out to do in this world. And in the process, uncovered loads of allegedly lost or "doesn't exist" films of the wrestling bouts some people enjoy viewing.

At this point, I'm done with that aspect of newsreels-searching. Why bother if it's not fun for me, and it ain't fun since I can't do it the way I want to?

What is going on at Crimson Mask's joint has nothing to do with my desired format-method there or here. I fear that place will close soon having nothing to do with me. As for getting a satisfactory format to post those old clips, at the then CM-Mark Nulty board, I was given the format I wanted, because they wanted, themselves, to see the footage that could be posted, even though J M.K. threatened to blow his own brains out if that happened. (His gun must have had blanks in it.)

I believe others will come along (some seeking to profit from the sale of old, digitized films, some of my mindset of making it available, lawfully, for free) and pick up the slack -- or they won't.

I still read your movies reviews here and believe they attract the largest following to this board; far, far beyone any wrestling footage I could post on a continuing basis. I have no horse in this race; just an ever-diminishing amound of time in every day when I'm post-capable.

So onward and upward, or downward or sideways...whatever. I came to this board because of you, and I've tried damn hard not to offend other posters, and JDW, here, if for no other reason than that.

So I hope you keep on truckin' permanently, as the cartoonist/satirist/social-commentator Robert Crumb regularly urged us all to in his then-Underground "comic" books. I intend to for as long as I can, and, if we survive Emperor Darnold the Duck and his genuinely massive following of imitation-people pushing us on to World War III and ending both Medicare and Social Security, hope everyone else here does the same.

A side note: the reason I never pursued the existing film of George Hackenschmidt vs Joe Rogers as shot by Charles Urban's crew in 1908, and rediscovered in New Zealand, on dangeous silver-nitrate film, is that the price I was quoted, assuming the film could safely and *legally* be shipped to the lab, was $14,000 for one single reel to be cleaned up and converted to digital, and more money for more footage, with no refund if the film was not salvageable.

Please keep up with your scholarship and posts; they make great reading and are full of great stuff. Via con Dios.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: