The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Yohe's Movie Update Reply with quote

BABEL was two hours of watch people being stupid in four languages. Didn't like it much. Parts are interesting but insulting toward Mexicans. **1/2

DE JAVU is a great movie. Works on many levels. Well made in every way. Near the top of the good movie list of 2006. Go see this one.****

THE FOUNTAIN I liked this serious film alot but it's an art movie, with major stars, that many watchers couldn't understand. Worked for me. ***1/2

BLOOD DIAMOND didn't do anything for me. Kind of bored me. Wast of talent. Bad action mixed with a message. **1/4

BORAT I didn't want to like this but ended up loving it like everyone.
***1/2

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION--I liked all the the other movies by these people but this was very disappointing. Felt ripped off & that there wasn't enough content to make a movie. One of the worst of the year. Over rated in every way. *1/4

BOBBY-Bad movie. Poorly made. The real Bobby steals the movie from all the movie stars. Not worth the time. ** for the news footage.

Steve Yohe
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yohe's Movie Update Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
BABEL was two hours of watch people being stupid in four languages. Didn't like it much. Parts are interesting but insulting toward Mexicans. **1/2

The hell with insulting Mexicans, how about insulting the audience. Terrible movie that made Syriana seem like a masterpiece.

Quote:
DEJA VU is a great movie. Works on many levels. Well made in every way. Near the top of the good movie list of 2006. Go see this one.****

Excellent. Predictable outcome, but creative journey to it.

Quote:
THE FOUNTAIN I liked this serious film alot but it's an art movie, with major stars, that many watchers couldn't understand. Worked for me. ***1/2

Proof that the greatest profundity requires simplicity. This movie tried entirely too hard, the art got in the way of the story, and the last 10 minutes were just heavy-handed gibberish.

Quote:
BORAT I didn't want to like this but ended up loving it like everyone.
***1/2

Same here. Just hilarious stuff.

I must recommend The Nativity Story as well. Solidly acted and stuck with the source material except for filling in the blanks in rather intelligent ways.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAN'S LABYRINTH--I think I would pick this my beat picture of 2006 over CHILDREN OF MEN. Pretty sure it's a lock for a best foreign film oscar. Great in every way. **** 1/4

BREACH--Good movie. Liked it a lot. It would have to be a great 2007 if this doesn't get nominated. Very Adult movie that doesn't compromise to make money. Acting is super & true story works. ****

HANNIBAL RISING--I'm sure everyone is disappointed in this. Kind of sucks. **1/4

THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND--Yes Forest Whitaker is good in this but the scaryest thing is the movie is the real clips of Idi Amin at the finish. This was a weak year for actors.***1/3

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM--Terrible movie that made tons of money. *3/4

Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been ripping a lot of the Summer movie & things look bad in the next few months, but the first part of the year had a lot of films I thought were OK.

Liked 300 a lot. Saw it three time. Think Bush liked too. The asshole. ***

Liked FRACTURE with the play between stars Gosling and Hopkins. **3/4

Liked LUCKY YOU. A romantic poker movie. Interesting actors to watch. Think the poker freaks would like it. **3/4

BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA--Kid's movie I thought was very good. About death with very little special effects. ***1/2

There were other that I can't remember at the moment. I was even feeling good about Hollywood & then they put out Spider-man 3 & Pirates 3.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to watch something a week or so ago & nothing was playing in the theaters, so I went looking for a DVD. I wanted something big with major actors and I've now got so many DVDs that there isn't much good stuff I don't have. Been into war movies lately. I got THE LONGEST DAY & loved it & A BRIDGE TOO FAR which I didn't think much of it. Also watched BATTLE OF BRITAIN which is a bad movie. I couldn't make up my mind & the owners started turning out the lights, and I found THE THIN RED LINE. So I said too myself, why not.

I saw THE THIN RED LINE when it opened years ago with high expectations and kind of liked it. But it wasn't your normal war film & it was one of those films that had me thinking about what the filmmaker was trying to do and not just experiencing the movie. I thought of it as a art movie that really didn't work...as most of them don't. I've seem it a couple of other times in Theaters and a bunch of times on TV. And each time I've watched it, I've liked it more.

Watching it the other night, I start thinking this is a contender for the best film of the 90's. It just clicked with me. The total picture worked for me. I always thought that Nolte eats that movie up and I thought Penn was very good but after the other night I came away think Jim Caviezel is one of the great actors. Gives a brillant performance and I didn't get it until now. I don't know if I'm just going thru a goofy spell but it seems to be one of the true great movies of our time.

Kind of wish Malick would make an extended version for another DVD using the hours of film not used. Would have liked to have seen what happened to John Cusack in the storyline. A lot of actors got completely cut out of the movie.

Been looking for and found FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE for $9 the other day. Always considered it the best Bond film. It's still good but what puts it over the top is the scene with Robert Shaw on the train when Connery is on his knees waiting to be killed. It's best scene of all the Bond films. They talk for 5 minutes before Sean sets Shaw up by playing to his greed. That's followed by one of the greatest fight scenes ever filmed. The movie is sold based on that one scene.

I do think that last years Bond film was as good as any. Maybe the best. But they need a FOR RUSSIA WITH LOVE for the next one.---Yohe
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good war movies:

Bridge over the River Kwai
Gettysburg
Twelve O'Clock High

I have Dawn Patrol but I can't remember if I've actually seen it. I think it's on the same tape as Grand Prix which I know I haven't seen yet.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yohe is a Kwai fanboy as well. :)

I'm sort of mixed on Gettysburg. It has its moments, and the casting is good. Even in it's long extend-o-version, it still seems like the battle has so much in it that you wish there was an old fashioned miniseries. Perhaps 4-5 two hour parts:

1. Set Up
2. Day 1
3. Day 2
4. Day 3
5. Resolution

The fifth is sort of optional... but one would like to mix the retreat in along with of course the Address. That might be possible in a Part 4 that's longer than the others - perhaps a 2:30 or 3:00 time slot.

I know it seems overkill. But... it's really a complex battle with a lot of shit going on. The movie on Day 2 focuses on Little Round Top, which leaves out a degree of just how wacky some other shit was (Sickles to say the least). :)

John
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I do think that last years Bond film was as good as any. Maybe the best.

I enjoyed it until they got to the end and basically did a hard reset to go beyond midnight. Sure, I got used to the assassins taking one last run at Bond after the main villain had been dispatched, but this went too far.

It seemed like 2/3 of the movie built to winning the card game as the end game, then they pulled a screw finish with a turn and set up new heels. I felt like a sucker for investing time in the throwaway hold em highspot.

Compare this to "The French Connection." Sure, Hackman kills off the hitman in a separate storyline prior to the main conflict, but the pursuit and killing are handled quickly. That rivalry didn't dominate the movie.

The atmosphere was great. The stunts were absurd, but that's modern cinema: Sabu meets CGI. If winning the game had resulted in a short chase leading to the main villain and victory, it would have been a much better movie. Instead it was a dishonest movie that didn't know when to quit, which put it in bad company with too many mediocre action flicks.

Frank

Twists: They're so overrated
Rian

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next Bond film picks up exactly where the last one left off...which is why the Bond....James Bond is left to the end of the movie.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Valley Of Elah Reply with quote

Saw IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH about two weeks ago, and my feeling are that it's the best film I've seen this year. Jones & Theron have great parts to play around in. I haven't wanted to say anything because I know the grestest man alive will show up ripping it.--Yohe
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved In the Valley of Elah. Being in and around the military community right now, I can say this seemed like the most legitimate view of things Hollywood has done on the current situation.

A Mighty Heart is still the best film I've seen this year by far, but this was probably 2nd best.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's movie history more than fact but I enjoyed ELIZABETH THE GOLDEN AGE. Blanchett is great in the part. You wonder if a Queen can win another Oscar. Went home to watch the first Liz movie & was surprised how well they matched up. ***1/2 Got a terrible review in the LA Times, which pissed me off.

Tonight it was MICHAEL CLAYTON and it was dry & very serious but very good. People are now talking about Clooney's lack of boxoffice but he keeps making serious stuff that I really like... but the public buys crap. The deference between now & years ago is that you had true stars like Newman or even McQueen who could make films like this & draw peple. ***7/8

I then walk into 3:10 TO YUMA because people saw something in it but walked back out after 30 minutes because it made me sick. It was like watching TNA wrestling.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: GONE BABY GONE Reply with quote

I've got to warn people, that the GONE BABY GONE film is really good. Old Ben Affeck should give up the acting thing & stick with direction. It's a very interesting story filled with moral questions that are left up to you to think about. The Acting is great. Casey Affeck is miscasted in a part any leading man would kill for... but he pulls it off. Whoever the woman is that is playing the mother should get a supporting attress Oscar. Ed Harris is powerful. Any list of best actors without his name is bogas. It starts off as "maybe this is good" and ends up with you wondering just how good it really is. Has action too. ****1/2
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to stop posting on movies, thinking it sucked, but John likes me doing it, so I continue:

THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM--Good. Standard kung-fu story but well done. They mix the two super stars well. Been awhile but I liked it ***1/2

WANTED-Over the top action & goofy stuff but I enjoyed it. Jolie has the cool of McQueen (not Butterfly). Skinny as shit but fun to watch as she kicks ass. Surprised she does this stuff. ***

I SPY--Not that funny. Didn't try to copy the world of the TV show. More real....kind of. Rock steals the movie. His comic timing is perfect **

HELLBOY II--The only thing I can say bad about it is that it's not as good as the first one. But I'm a HELLBOY fanboy. I'm a mark. Seen this twice & once tonight & I loved it. Doesn't have the drama or great villains of I, and you have to get passed the make-up and love the different characters, but I'm into it. I think I'll like it more on DVD. This one seemed to be building things up for the third & hard times. ****

HANCOCK--Is a mess. Doesn't know what kind of a movie it wants to be. Smith is true star & the money made by this is his doing. OK to watch tho. **

THE HULK--I like the first one better. This one follows the TV crap. Hulk was always a supporting character in the comics. All he can do is fight other hero. Do Iron Man vs Hulk. **1/4

Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: More losers Reply with quote

The Mummy 3 sucks. All CG, no story. The actors deserved better. **

Swing Vote is really bad. If your making a political movie, you need to take a stand. Trying to please everyone...pleases no one. (SPOILER WARNING) They don't even have the guts to tell who Costner votes for. Had great actors with no lines to read. Not funny in any way. I like Costner, but I don't want to see hin playing dumb asses. Kessey Grammer is very good & steals whatever there was to steal. *---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 1 of 68

Jump to: