The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2018-2019 L.A. Lakers Thread (Livin' On A Prayer)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly, the Lakers are now down to 6-1 odds to win the 2019 title, after opening at 20-1 last week.
guren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TheAthleticLA is now live and they hired a strong trio to cover the Lakers.

@billoram
@LakerFilmRoom
@KamBrothers

The Kamenetzky brothers already have a couple of interesting articles up related to LeBron.

There is someone assigned to cover the Clippers, too. I can only assume it will be Chris Kaman.

glenn
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you subscribed?

Worth it?

Jagdip
guren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I subscribed the first day that The Athletic Bay Area started. Their lineup of Dubs writers (Anthony Slater, Marcus Thompson, Tim Kawakami, Danny Leroux, and now Ethan Sherwood Strauss) is tremendous. They all have followed the team long enough to provide contrasts to the bad old days, plus they offer lots of video clips and analytics to support their commentary.

Plus, there is a great collection of beat writers covering other teams, in particular Jason Lloyd (Cavs), Eric Koreen (Raps), James L. Edwards III (Pistons), Derek Bodner (76ers), and Darnell Mayberry (Bulls).

If you like baseball, you can read Joe Posnanski, Jayson Start, Ken Rosenthal, Eno Sarris, and Peter Gammons.

It's perfect for me since I spend about an hour and a half sitting in a train each day and I love to read about sports. Since it's a paid site, the troll ratio among the commenters is low, too. It's been well worth the subscription fee for me and I will automatically renew without a second thought.

glenn
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23846966/gregg-popovich-flying-california-attempt-meet-kawhi-leonard

kawhi has his heart set on LA.
elliott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKimming through I didn't see it, and if its already discussed in detail (Maybe in the last Lakers thread) just point me in that direction...

I'm wondering where yall are on Lonzo at this point? I heard on a podcast recently (maybe Zach Lowe or maybe one of the various ringer pods) that if last years draft was done again the top 3 would be Tatum, Mitchell & Ball still. I'm looking at an article on espn.com about Kawhi trades that praises Lonzo's team defense and said he was 3rd among PG's in "the defensive component of ESPN's real +/-."

I know coming into the league defense was a concern for Lonzo. Yall watched him every game he played. Does the eye test meet up with the advanced stats?

Ignoring all the questions surrounding "would he fit with LeBron" and all that. What are your Lonzo thoughts after year one? Assume Lebron stays in Cleveland and Kawhi gets traded to Boston and LA virtually runs it back (maybe just adds George). What would your expectations be for Lonzo in year 2?
guren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lonzo is an intriguing player and I love watching him play. Here are my scattered thoughts:

Strengths
- Might be a basketball savant
- Gifted passer with tremendous vision and excellent touch and timing on his passes
- Always wants to push the pace and throw the ball ahead, which keeps his teammates engaged
- Teammates like to play with him
- Decent ball-handler, especially for his size
- Good at getting into the passing lanes for deflections and steals
- Excellent rebounder
- Very good block rate for a point guard
- Pretty good at deflecting the noise regarding his goofy father

Weaknesses
- Had a very poor shooting year (42% from 2, 30.5% from 3, 45% FT)
- Seriously, 45% FT?
- Got to the free throw line very infrequently
- Poor finisher at the rim
- Doesn't have much of a mid-range or floater game
- Not great at staying in front of quicker guards
- Had trouble staying healthy

If he can stay healthy, I expect Lonzo to be among the top 10 point guards, or thereabouts. I just can't imagine he will shoot that poorly from 2, 3, and the free throw line in Year 2.

Hopefully JAG, Steve, and John will add their comments.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Glenn's positives, which make him an interesting player for pretty much any rebuilding team.

The negatives are a big problem if you have aspirations of being a playoff team.

To Glenn's negative list, I would add:

- Can't Shoot Anywhere!

No, seriously. Anywhere.

Glenn touched on the rim aspect, but it bears some detail.

The NBA average at the rim (3 feet and in) is .658. Lonzo shot a mind numbing .494 at the rim. Why that's extra horrid is that due to him being horrible everywhere else, especially from 3P range, Lonzo was only "confident" shooting at the rim and ended up taking half his shots there. When you're .150+ below league average at a shot, yet still take half your shots from that range... it's really a bad thing.

- There's no lipstick on that shooting pig

After missing most of Christmas-February, when he came back in March for a semi-sustained run of play, he shot:

.353/.275/.316

He was *worse* in March than his season averages of .360/.305/.451. He finally got shut down for the last 8 games.

- He's nearly useless off the ball offensively

Can't shoot the 3. Since he's crappy at the rim, he's not much of a cutter risk. Zero value as the pick man in the pick & roll unless it's to pass.

I have no clue how he would fit with something like Bron+Claw+Paul George who collectively would eat up much of the ball possession on offense.

- his defense is overrated

Walton spent a fair amount of effort to ease him in, i.e. protect him. Caldwell-Pope was signed specifically to defend opposing team's points. Ingram and Hart got time guarding points. Ball got to defend shooting guards and other wings, and to ball hawk off the ball.

He was better than I expected he would be given how he was protected at UCLA. He tired harder than I expected, and wasn't someone who comes across clueless like Randle or Kyrie. I think he has the potential to eventually become "okay" defensively. I don't think he the potential to become as good as Klay, who admittedly has some help with a terrific "team defense" behind and around him.

But out here in LA they the media looked for anything to pimp, and they played up his defense way too much. These are the same folks who tried to pimp Clarkson's defense the year before, which was freaking hilarious.

- Health, Health & Health

Glenn hit this, but it also bears detail:

* Hurt in Summer League (calf)
* Hurt in Preseason (ankle sprain)
* Hurt in December (shoulder sprain)
* Hurt in January (left knee MCL sprain)
* Hurt in March (left knee contusion)

There might be some other minor ones that I'm forgetting. But that's five different injuries that caused him to miss a good deal of time, or in the case of the Summer League one it caused him to miss the Final that the Lakers really wanted to showcase him in.

Again, I think he's an interesting player for a team in rebuilding mode. For the Lakers, the issue is that he comes in at the back end of rebuilding at a time when the front office and a lot of the fan base are getting impatient about the rebuilding. Here are the picks in the rebuilding process:

2014 #1-7 Julius Randle

2015 #1-2 D'Angelo Russell
2015 #1-27 Larry Nance Jr.
2015 #2-34 Anthony Brown

2016 #1-2 Brandon Ingram
2016 #2-32 Ivica Zubac

2017 #1-2 Lonzo Ball
2017 #1-27 Kyle Kuzma
2017 #1-30 Josh Hart
2017 #2-42 Thomas Bryant

On a certain level, you would want Ball to be in the front end of that rebuilding process where he had time to develop before this summer of trying to jump start the team. If you could flip him with Russell in the time line, that would be nice.

On the other hand, that means playing for Byron Scott. Not a great idea. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time of the year, he is not someone worth thinking about.. I'd rather watch the Dodgers. --Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lakers have another draft pick for tomorrow night, acquiring #39. Maybe they have something planned for tomorrow night?
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo Wagner from Michigan. Sounds intriguing.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to hate the idea of the Lakers bending over backward to get James....and dealing with his demands & staffing. We had a plan & I don't like the idea of giving everything up for James. I think we should just continue as we are. If we can get George...great....and Leonard.

Really....no one in the NBA is going to do anything to help the Lakers. They set up rules that pushed us into the situation we're in. I think we shouldn't trust anyone.

Getting James for one or two years would screw us up as soon as he left. He come in....he owns the team & everything supports him. A George or Leonard are just good players who will fill major holes & be part of something. We need a team that stays strong over a number of years.

I'd take George this year & keep Randle. Save any other money for Leonard next year as a FA.

I'd forget James. Think of making this team as good as it can be. I'm a believer in John Wooden. I idea that not winning a NBA title make you a failure... is dumb. Just be the best you can be. You think like that & you might win something. Shortcuts don't work.

I would spend my money on developing a great coaching staff...that can evaluate talent. Guys who work as a team & have fun doing it. Work off of that. If that is what we got now....fine. To me the best coach staff is one running the LA Dodgers right now. I think that is the "state of the art" right now in coaching. Magic should know.

What we don't need is basing our success on winning NBA titles, and throwing everything away to get one more.---Steve Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine if LeBron wanted to join the Lakers, and Magic/Pelinka denied him? That would be wild. NBA Twitter would implode so violently we'd be able to experience the creation of a black hole.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should stay in Cleveland & finish what he started.--Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeBron and Paul George are gonna be on the Lakers by next week.

Iíll save the handwringing for the young guys for when and if it actually happens.

Jagdip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27

Jump to: