The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King of Chicken Suggestions...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: King of Chicken Suggestions... Reply with quote

Yohe, Hobbie and I are getting together on Sunday to watch some tapes.

You guys know what we tend to like. Feel free to toss out some suggestions and we'll take a look over the list and pick a "tOA Special Match" to watch that is somewhere in the Yohe Tape Library vaults. :)

John
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you shown Baba/Jumbo vs Dory/Terry from the 1978 Tag League at KOC? Terry in peril with Baba and Jumbo working over his back was the sort of storytelling and psychology that I thought was sadly lacking from many matches in the 1977 Open Tag League. It's a damn shame too, considering the 1977 tournament had more depth in terms of talent and star power pairings with Robinson/Hoffman and Kimura/Kusatsu in the mix.

Frank
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: KOC Reply with quote

I'm thinking of showing Gorgeous George vs Frankie Talaber. Trouble is that its another long match. I'm wondering if Frank has seen it.

News is that a bounty has been set on Frank. If he ever shows up for a KOC we will give him an official Destroyer Bobble head doll. It sits in wonderful Montebello waiting. Phone calls don't count.

Yohe
Andrew D. Lacelle®

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some random clashes of champions, it's been a while since you guys reviewed stuff that wasn't Backlund or puro related. Hell, I'd love to see you guys review some AWA.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick list of what we watched, more detailed comments later:

8/82 Jumbo vs. Harley (UN Title Change)

15 minute spotfu bloodbath by two who had boatloads of moves to fill the time. Not their June 1977 title match, but perfectly watchable to see what these guys can fall out of bed to do.

12/83 Fujinami & Maeda & Kengo vs. Choshu & Animal & Yatsu
12/83 Inoki & Hogan vs. Adonis & Murdoch

Semifinal and main event on New Japan's show to close the 1983 Tag League. The second match was the Grand Final.

The six-man is rather legendary. Total spotfu, inbetween various short restholds. Ishingundan must come off the top rope 10 times (I exagerate slightly). Lots of stuff. Some sloppy. Very watchable but shapeless... pretty much a Nitro-style match ahead of its time. Heat off the charts, even though New Japan fans had seen these guys matching up all year. Not to be confused with a great All Japan six-man tag.

We talked through the Tag League Final on some other topic (possibly the silly Wrestling Classics thread on Hogan vs. Stone Cold). We'd seen both these matches before, and weren't entirely up for the second. We really need to sit down together (and perhaps Frank) to watch the Final from the following year along with a comperable Real World Tag League '84 match.

1/93 Kobashi & Kikuchi vs. Aikyama & Ogawa

All Asian Tag Title match. Rather well known as an early strong match in Jun's career. Awfully good. Better example of good tag work than the more famous six-man above. Up and down early, though mixing in a good amount of offense in addition to working various people over. Work to the finish isn't short, it's pretty well done, and there's an actual finish (and a bit surprising of a one at the time and even moreso now). Not perfect - there are a few moments here and there that are a bit off synch, which you'll get with a guy 4 months into his career like Akiyama. There also never was any sense that Kobashi would be at risk of losing. But that is a bit accepted of All Japan in that era with the rather strict slotting.

6/82 Harley vs. Kerry

Sort of the start of Frank's WCCW project, and a good start. This is a good addition to any Best of Kerry comp. Clearly Harley leading them through a good match, and doing most of what's strong in it. Kerry brings "Kerry" to the table - he's over with the fans, they care about him, and he's pretty game. I joke sometimes that he's the best Luger-Warrior type of wrestler, but at other times he looks very Sting-like in that gameness. I'd recommend this for people looking for more Harley, or examples of entertaining Kerry matches.

Starcade '92: Barry & Pillman vs. Steamboat & Douglas
Starcade '92: Sting vs. Vader

The two fairly well known "good" matches from Starcade '92. This was our nod to Andrew's "Clash of the Champions" match above. Tricking Yohe into digging out a tape with Vader on it without telling him that we were going to watch the tag match first... that's as close as we were going to get to the Clash. ;)

The first was for the NWA-WCW Tag Titles, with Barry fairly fresh from turning on Dustin to go heel, and Pillman a short while from joining with Austin for the Blonds. It's a sleepy, sloopy little match early - they're trying stuff, stuff that would be cool (like a Ricky swinging neckbreaker), but it's loose and sloppy and choppy as all hell. The crowd seems to be responding to it as such as they're fairly quiet. It picks up with a great bump off the guardrail by Pillman, followed not too long after by a great bump by Douglas when being pitched from the ring by Windham. You wouldn't think this would "pick up the match" since they go to Douglas-in-Peril that, after a short but intense hot tag & house-o-fire to Steamboat, turns into Ricky-in-peril. But it really does work. Douglas plays peril well, and of course Ricky does. Heels are excellent. It picks up the crowd. Very solid match. I'm not sure I'd go with the rating I thought it was at the time (likely due to the shitty undercard), but this is one of quite a few "keeper" matches from the early 90s in WCW that get forgotten in the wake of the Nitro Era.

The second... may just be... the best Vader vs. Sting. Their 1992-93 trilogy starts off with a very good babyface title loss at the Bash in July. It closes, at least on PPV at the time, with the February strap match where the two don't let the gimmick hold them back from having a strong match. This is the tweener King of Cable tourny final, and Sting's payback for losing the title. Vader is growing in confidence as the year went by, and is reaching that point in his career where he would work right through being gassed. Sting is beyond game, willing to get smacked around by Leon but also bring a load of cool stuff to the table. Leon brought out something special in Sting... and I think the size and style seemed to make the best match for Vader. He could allow himself to be thrown around by Sting playing "power man", but Sting's size and willingness made for a guy that he could pull a lot of moves out if his own arsenal.

A little sloppy at times, a few times when you could see Leon doing more than half of a move on his own (such as the finish). But I liked this one a lot. Possibly the best match of the night... I think at the end of it, this was the match we were most pleased with rewatching.

Dusty vs. Superstar Mic Wars

From the Dusty DVD: the three interviews/mic spots in the WWWF in 1977-78.

From the Superstar DVD: (a) pre-champion interview talking about Bruno, (b) champion era interview talking about himself, (c) the 1982 pre-match interview in MSG before the Backlund match

Winner: Dusty

Not even fucking close.

Superstar's pre-champion and champion era interviews were really pedestrian and rambling. One signature cliche that wasn't that interesting the second time you heard it. The rest... eh. Note - these were picked as examples of the *best* of Superstar* from that era. Think about that.

The 1982 interview is so coke & doped up that it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Dusty is... on another fucking planet.

Let me preface this - I hate fucking Dusty Rhodes. I'm a Flair Fan. Ric, along with the MX & Jim Cornette, made me a wrestling fan. Dusty Rhodes, along with Maggie and the Rock and Roll Express, were The Enemy. Virgil Runnels was the Evil Booker who was holding down The Man. "Die, Dusty, Die!"

I didn't like his egofuck interviews back in the mid-80s when watching them. I didn't like his matches. I didn't like him.

So for me to say anything positive about Dusty... well... it's against everything I stand for as a wrestling fan. :)

On the other hand, he's so off the charts relative to other wrestlers in this era that it's not funny. The two "ringside" interviews infront of the fans are strong, natural, relaxed and, as Yohe pointed out, able to move up and down in emotion and intensity. The "empty arena" interview by Vince is just exceptional. Dusty bounces around all over the place in different stories, images and comments, but he stays on theme and reels himself back into the topic. He's utterly natural and at ease on the mic and in character. It's really a strong long free form mic spot.

We'd see lots of these long ones from him and Flair and Corny in the mid-80s on TBS, some better than others, and some just rambling egofucks. This one gives a great view into why Rhodes was just so over with *his* fans, and why he could come into a place like New York and get over.

11/82 Backlund vs. Graham

From the Graham disk, the middle match of their three-match series on Superstar's return to the WWF.

The worst Backlund match any of us can recall seeing, and quite possibly the worst match to see the light of day at a KOC ever. We've watched bad matches before... ones that are so bad that we could bag on it for some laughs. This was just jaw droppingly bad.

Need you ask? This was dog shit because of Superstar. Between the body falling apart, the mass quantities of dope, and the fact that he was a dogshit worker even at his "peak", there wasn't a thing Bob could do with him. From this same time frame, Backlund has a match in the Garden with Superstar Clone Jesse Ventura that made one of the WWF DVD's of the past few years. Jesse can't do much, can't bump, isn't a good stooge, knows very few holds, and has no stamina. On the other hand, he has about five moves, and has 2-3 schtich spots. They at least work all of those in, and a few Bob spots, before Bob mercifully puts it to bed.

Superstar has nothing. Not a thing. Wow... he sucks.

Destroyer Insulated Soda Can Holder

Yohe was really pleased with his latest Destroyer collectable, so I have to mention it.

Obsessive Behavoir of the Night

People think I obsess on Meltzer. But there is no sicker obsessive behavior in wrestling fandom than that of Steve "What's Keeping Kevin?" Yohe and his curiousity on why Kevin Von Erich hasn't dropped dead yet like the rest of his brothers. Sick... horrid... incredible bad taste... and Yohe can't let go of it, even after being band from wrestling message boards for such behavior.

Tonight while we were watching Kerry vs. Harley, and one of us were making the usual bad taste quip of "there's a dead man in this match", Yohe tossed out his new theory on why Kevin is still among the living:

"Kevin is too stupid to die."
-Steve Yohe

Don't ask me to slip inside Steve's head to explain that... other than he does have some truth in that - Kevin is as dumb as a wall, and he's not dead yet.

;)

Food of the Night: Poppey's Chicken

Another fine batch. Excellent sides of battered fried, corn on the cob and their exceptional ****3/4 mashed potatoes.

Car of the Night: Yohe's new Cooper Mini

Nice car. Crazy fucking driver who was hitting 70 MPH and *rising* before someone from the backseat mentioned:

"Steve - you're doing 70."

"This is always a spot to drive fast around here."

"70... fucking surface street, Yohe. I'd like to make it to Poppey's in one piece."

"Eh... I don't want you guys writing that my car is slow."

So I won't write that his car is slow. Now if we can just talk Steve into selling off his 50 year old VW Bug.

Match of the Night: Vader vs. Sting

Bad Match of the Decade of KOC: Graham vs. poor Bob

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also watched, which I forgot last night:

08/20/87 Akira Maeda vs. Super Strong Machine

We had a long debate during the six-man tag about the merits of Maeda work in 1983. Hoback and I on the "not good" side, with Yohe on the "he's good side". Hoback and I tossed this in as an example of what Maeda looked like when he improved as a worker.

This is one of Maeda's handful of good matches against pro-style matches. Not a perfect match, but one of the enjoyable things in it is that Maeda and SSM are pretty well in synch and on the same page of what they can do, and what to do. This isn't as dramatic as some of Takada's best matches with pro-style workers. Part of that is that Takada is willing to bend quite a bit more in finding common ground for theatrical spots. The other part is that the two Hot Summer Nights shows at Sumo Hall came across as very much made up of New Japan fans, and not a lot of UWF-Maniacs in the building. I get the feeling that at Korakuen Hall infront of their "home fans" this would have been extremely heated.

Hirata is pretty impressive in being able to hang with Maeda in holds: selling Maeda's pretty well, applying his own including perhaps the best of the match, and being able a few times to work counters to holds with Maeda. He's not as theatrical as Koshinaka, nor as expressive in being able to connect with the crowd like Shiro could in this era, but from a technical standpoint, Hirata's performance is on part and/or better than what Shiro was doing with Takada in this era. Of course theatrics, working to the crowd and connecting with them are key elements of "work", so one could say Shiro's overall performances were better. Just saying... Hirata's technical work is very strong for a pro-style guy in this era against a UWF-style worker.

Maeda's performance is very good. He bends as much as he's going to bend. He gives SSM more holds than one would think... more than I recall after not seeing this match in years. Maeda's selling is nice. One of my favorite spots is Hirata hitting a good kick. Maeda pauses for a moment as if expecting it to be a mediocre strike (relative to UWF-style kick) that he wouldn't sell. Then it seems to dawn on him that Hirata really gave him a pretty damn good high kick, and he goes down selling it very nicely. It's really quick, just a brief moment of delay that doesn't show anything up, and seems to show Maeda thinking his way through the match well.

Good match. This would have to make a Best of Maeda comp in the 1986-87 "Return To New Japan" section along with a Fujinami match or two, and the tags with Takada against Shiro & Mutoh and Fujiwara & Yamazaki.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Bad Jokes Reply with quote

Wrestling & dead is a far topic for any wrestling fan these days. Just like dead hourses is a fair topic at the race track. If it's distastfull to some its not my fault. It's part of the sport.

The Kevin thing was a joke & John is tring to get me in trouble. I have never been band...I think I was baned. The line went over with James, who is a great laugher & James rolling around got John interested. I laughed because of James. John then spent 10 minutes trying to get my words right so he could post them to get me in trouble.

I think the most impressive proformace award went to Super Machine. But I don't remember talking about it much.

The argument over Maeda was about whats a bad worker. John thought Maeda was bad. I was saying that a really truly bad worker...couldn't be in that match. John grew up watch tapes & know only the best. I grew up at the Olympic watching KO Murphy. We have different ideas as to want is bad. (I would bet no one at this site knows who KO Murphy was.)

I had a great time & it's even better because James left his whole DVD colection behind.

I drove the Mini Cooper (who I named Fritz) fast because John & James has been ragging on my old VW (named Kinji) sence 1991. It had never had two fat asses in it, like John & James, before & I wanted to get them off my back. The driving experence with Yohe is mild compared with driving 90 mile a hour on the freeway with John Williams on a normal day. Burnt out hippies don't drive fast.

Yohe
Tomer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Don't ask me to slip inside Steve's head to explain that...

Simple: the Frank Grimes corollary to Murphy's law. :)

-Tomer
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Jokes Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
The argument over Maeda was about whats a bad worker. John thought Maeda was bad. I was saying that a really truly bad worker...couldn't be in that match. John grew up watch tapes & know only the best. I grew up at the Olympic watching KO Murphy. We have different ideas as to want is bad. (I would bet no one at this site knows who KO Murphy was.)

Didn't say he was a bad worker in 1983. Just that he wasn't "good".

You stuck to your guns that he was good, and even James (who's rather mild when watching a jdw vs. Yohe argument) thought you were off your rocker. :)

As far as growing up "watching tapes", that isn't the case. I started watching wrestling watching Crockett on TBS and syndication, the WWF, World Class and the UWF. Boogie Woogie Valentine and Paul Jones' Army were on TV regularly when I was watching. I know what "bad" is. :)

The arguement was an example of one of the various Yohe Theories of Work:

(a) if a Big Man can move, he's a good worker

(b) if you're a star, there's a 80% chance that your a good worker

(c) the biggest the star you are, the more likely you are to be a good worker

(d) if a wrestler was a good worker at any point in their career, they'll catch a break the rest of their career - washed up guys still get respect, and guys get props for their work before their work improved

Maeda's work in 1983 is (b), (c) and (d) for you.

But really... he wasn't good. Neither was Kengo in the match. But it still was an entertaining match.

Quote:
I had a great time & it's even better because James left his whole
DVD colection behind.

WOW~!

Are you sure that's not your collection? ;)

Quote:
The driving experence with Yohe is mild compared with driving 90 mile a hour on the freeway with John Williams on a normal day. Burnt out hippies don't drive fast.

Hey now. I never went 90 on the freeways with you in the car. :) I also am a pretty mellow "fast driver" - no tailgating, no zipping in and out of lanes, and no closing on cars fast only to have to hit the breaks hard.

The general comment when I was the taxi - "we made good time" in a complimentary rather than nervous fashion. :)

John
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Starcade '92: Barry & Pillman vs. Steamboat & Douglas
Starcade '92: Sting vs. Vader

The two fairly well known "good" matches from Starcade '92. This was our nod to Andrew's "Clash of the Champions" match above. Tricking Yohe into digging out a tape with Vader on it without telling him that we were going to watch the tag match first... that's as close as we were going to get to the Clash. ;)

The first was for the NWA-WCW Tag Titles, with Barry fairly fresh from turning on Dustin to go heel, and Pillman a short while from joining with Austin for the Blonds. It's a sleepy, sloopy little match early - they're trying stuff, stuff that would be cool (like a Ricky swinging neckbreaker), but it's loose and sloppy and choppy as all hell. The crowd seems to be responding to it as such as they're fairly quiet. It picks up with a great bump off the guardrail by Pillman, followed not too long after by a great bump by Douglas when being pitched from the ring by Windham. You wouldn't think this would "pick up the match" since they go to Douglas-in-Peril that, after a short but intense hot tag & house-o-fire to Steamboat, turns into Ricky-in-peril. But it really does work. Douglas plays peril well, and of course Ricky does. Heels are excellent. It picks up the crowd. Very solid match. I'm not sure I'd go with the rating I thought it was at the time (likely due to the shitty undercard), but this is one of quite a few "keeper" matches from the early 90s in WCW that get forgotten in the wake of the Nitro Era.

This is one of the lesser Starrcades of all time and one of the ones I saw live. I didn't help that the most pushed match on the card (Rude v. Simmons WCW Title) didn't happen and wasn't announced until right before the show. That piece of crap Simmons v. Steve Williams didn't make up for anything at all. Hindsight being 20/20, our chant of "Fire Bill Watts" during that turd is pretty funny, since he was fired within days of this card (if not right after it). I'm not trying to take credit for anything for those that long wistfully for the WCW Watts Era.

This tag match along with the Vader match saved this show. If you remember the TV, the Windham/Pillman tag team was just thrown together before the Hollywood Blondes got together. Windham needed a new partner and picked Pillman for Starrcade. Windham was the last guy knocked out of Battlebowl which got him a shot at Muta's NWA Title. Windham actually had a loose alliance with Pillman and Austin before they became the Hollywood Blondes (their first title shot was at the Clash in January `03 that was a good match *duh* that ended with Douglas getting brained with a tag title belt and juicing, Douglas and Steamer won by DQ) and said that he was going for the NWA Title and annointed Austin and Pillman as the successors to the tag title. After that they pretty much went on their own.

Quote:
The second... may just be... the best Vader vs. Sting. Their 1992-93 trilogy starts off with a very good babyface title loss at the Bash in July. It closes, at least on PPV at the time, with the February strap match where the two don't let the gimmick hold them back from having a strong match. This is the tweener King of Cable tourny final, and Sting's payback for losing the title. Vader is growing in confidence as the year went by, and is reaching that point in his career where he would work right through being gassed. Sting is beyond game, willing to get smacked around by Leon but also bring a load of cool stuff to the table. Leon brought out something special in Sting... and I think the size and style seemed to make the best match for Vader. He could allow himself to be thrown around by Sting playing "power man", but Sting's size and willingness made for a guy that he could pull a lot of moves out if his own arsenal.

A little sloppy at times, a few times when you could see Leon doing more than half of a move on his own (such as the finish). But I liked this one a lot. Possibly the best match of the night... I think at the end of it, this was the match we were most pleased with rewatching.

Whenever I think of the best Sting/Vader matches, this one always comes to mind, but I discount it since I saw it live and don't want the "live match bong" to cloud my memory. This was the hottest match on the show by a good margin, both in the ring and with the crowd and this is a crowd that had already sat through Muta/Chono and Simmons/Williams. I can't recall how the audio was at the show, but Vader had a ton of fans and he was mega over with big sections of the crowd. Guys all over were doing the Vader hand sign and screaming "NO PAIN" all night. I haven't watched this match on tape in years, I might need to see if it's buried somewhere in storage and dust it off.

You had to ignore the "Sting powerslams Vader off the top" finish because Leon always had to do most of the work on the move to make it look halfway decent. When they hit that move spot on, it looks really impressive and is a believeable finish.

Quote:
Dusty vs. Superstar Mic Wars

From the Dusty DVD: the three interviews/mic spots in the WWWF in 1977-78.

From the Superstar DVD: (a) pre-champion interview talking about Bruno, (b) champion era interview talking about himself, (c) the 1982 pre-match interview in MSG before the Backlund match

Winner: Dusty

Not even fucking close.

Superstar's pre-champion and champion era interviews were really pedestrian and rambling. One signature cliche that wasn't that interesting the second time you heard it. The rest... eh. Note - these were picked as examples of the *best* of Superstar* from that era. Think about that.

The 1982 interview is so coke & doped up that it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Dusty is... on another fucking planet.

Let me preface this - I hate fucking Dusty Rhodes. I'm a Flair Fan. Ric, along with the MX & Jim Cornette, made me a wrestling fan. Dusty Rhodes, along with Maggie and the Rock and Roll Express, were The Enemy. Virgil Runnels was the Evil Booker who was holding down The Man. "Die, Dusty, Die!"

I didn't like his egofuck interviews back in the mid-80s when watching them. I didn't like his matches. I didn't like him.

So for me to say anything positive about Dusty... well... it's against everything I stand for as a wrestling fan. :)

I couldn't agree more. I've never been a Dusty fan, but I sprung for the DVD since it was so cheap and featured tons of promos. Honestly, I wish they would've shitcanned all the matches and just put more promos on the disc. I knew Dusty was good on the stick, but I guess after years of Nitro and RAW, I forgot how fucking good he really was.

I've shown several of the promos to non-wrestling fan friends of mine and everyone has actually wanted to watch the matches the promos were based upon. I told them the idea of Dusty wrestling after hearing him talk is 1000 times better than reality, but they never listen.

Quote:
On the other hand, he's so off the charts relative to other wrestlers in this era that it's not funny. The two "ringside" interviews infront of the fans are strong, natural, relaxed and, as Yohe pointed out, able to move up and down in emotion and intensity. The "empty arena" interview by Vince is just exceptional. Dusty bounces around all over the place in different stories, images and comments, but he stays on theme and reels himself back into the topic. He's utterly natural and at ease on the mic and in character. It's really a strong long free form mic spot.

We'd see lots of these long ones from him and Flair and Corny in the mid-80s on TBS, some better than others, and some just rambling egofucks. This one gives a great view into why Rhodes was just so over with *his* fans, and why he could come into a place like New York and get over.

That empty arena interview is unbelievable, it's like Dusty's "I Have a Dream" speech, but isn't corny or heavyhanded. Like I said before, folks who never really saw Dusty before wanted to see the matches on the DVD after I showed them the promos, which is why wrestler do promos.

Flair was the only guy that could really hold a candle to Dusty over any length of time on the stick (Corny could too, but there is so much more Flair v. Rhodes out there). Comp'ing it with stuff from the Flair disc, I loved all the pre-Starrcade `83 stuff with Race and Flair, but that was a good old-school angle and Race plays pissed off "Yankee" heel pretty well ("Somebody TAKE THE DAMN MONEY!" "I said I would never wrestle Flair in North Carolina or anywhere in the Southeast"), but on the mic pales to Dusty when he had to use his own words. Every other face's promos next to Flair's range from OK to downright embarrasing.

-Chad
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Your right John...Your right John...Your right John...Your r Reply with quote

Williams: Hey now. I never went 90 on the freeways with you in the car. :) I also am a pretty mellow "fast driver" - no tailgating, no zipping in and out of lanes, and no closing on cars fast only to have to hit the breaks hard.

The general comment when I was the taxi - "we made good time" in a complimentary rather than nervous fashion. :)

Yohe: Gee I wonder why anyone would want to suspend the license of such a great "fast driver". It wasn't the speed that bothered me...I just worried about the line of vision of such a short person. Looking over the dashbourd & feet reaching the breaks type think. I alway felt sorry for anyone who would dare drive 75 in the fast lane in front of the great John Williams.

I watched wrestling for 25 years before seeing a german suplex. In the 60's I read about Karl Gotch & saw photos of the move but when he wrestled at the Olympic he didn't use it. My thinking was that the Americans sucked so bad that no one could take the bump. I kind of didn't believe the move could be done. The first time I saw a german suplex was on Japanese tapes in 1987. All the kicks & stuff were new too.

The match we watched was state of the art at the time it was done & at a very fast pace. Maeda may have not met the standards of the great visionary John Williams but he didn't hurt it.

John's trick is to bate you into a agrument he thinks you can't defend & then work you over to prove his natural superiority & superb intellect. John has to do this. He can not stop himself & pretends he doesn't know hes doing it. Everything is an argument or a debate with him & he has a legal background so everything is back & white. His ego can drive you nuts & he doesn't let up.

I don't remember how this Maeda thing started. He raged on Maeda saying he was terrible worker or something. I don't remember the words...it wasn't important...but it was to John and he remembers every syllable. My thinking was that I've seen 1,000 0f workers worst than Maeda. Freddie Blassie, the god of Los Angeles wrestling, could not have played Maeda's part in that match without killing it. What could Fred have done....run in & bite someone. Their are tons of guys I grew up watching that wouldn't or couldn't take the bumps done in that match. Maeda does moves that I longed to see for years, so I don't want to rag on him as a worker. I know he has problems working different styles & other things, but I like watching him. So I don't think he's a terrible worker. Gene LeBell was a terrible worker. The degree of difficulty in that match was so high...that I think he should get a break.

THe argument I was fighting is that their is different degrees of bad workers. John never got that point, he thought I just wanted to get Maeda over...and thats what he wanted to argue because thats the fight he could win. He just wants to prove he is superior to Steve Yohe or anyone else he plays with. He doesn't want to understant your point, he just wants to crush his opponent. I could care less about whether Maeda stunk before he formed the first UWF. I could care less about playing around with John Williams.

John's ego is a lot of fun at times & at other time he pisses you off. He loves commenting & criticizing others faults & effors while hidding his own cracks. At this moment I'm pissed & sick of his Napoleon complex. Being under 5 foot & not picked for any basketball team must have been a great blow.

As for James, he better agree with me because I have his whole DVD colection in my posession. Come on James...mess with me! I think I'll go watch the BEST OF SAMOAN JOE DVD.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Your right John...Your right John...Your right John...Yo Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I don't remember how this Maeda thing started. He raged on Maeda saying he was terrible worker or something.

I said "Maeda wasn't a good worker" at the time.

Quote:
I don't remember the words...

Exactly.

Quote:
THe argument I was fighting is that their is different degrees of bad workers. John never got that point,

I know the point. It's a rather obvious one, like saying "water is wet".

It should be obvious that I know there are degrees of bad (and good) workers. After all, during the Superstar vs. Backlund match, did you ever hear me say that Graham's work was at the same level as Maeda? Or were we all pretty much slamming Billy as the worst piece of shit worker we'd seen in years at a KOC?

Yohe trick of arguing: Not slowing down to listen to what other people are saying. As I said above - even James tried to explain you were off your rocker on what we were saying about Maeda. That's non-argumentative James. And you wouldn't even slow down to listen to the point he was making.

I'm sorry you're pissed. I'll avoid cracking jokes about KOC in the future if they just end up pissing you off.

John
khawk20

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No AWA. Boo. (insert winky smiley here)

If you guys need something AWA-ish to watch for one of these in the future, just let me know and I can rustle you up something fun. Well, fun to me, anyway.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comps of 70's studio stuff would be great. Similar to the Murdoch-Rhodes vs. Billy & Muraco on the Dusty DVD, or the Bockwinkle & Stevens vs. Billy & Red match that's around. I know you've sent some of this to Frank in the past... but I don't even have a clue what's available of 70s studio stuff, and what's worth watching.

I think we watched some of Frank's coming AWA series (covering parts of 1985 through Super Clash in 1987) at the last KOC, and have in the past. I don't think we want to go overload on that until Frank's set comes out... would want that to be fresh, even if we've seen a good amount of it.

John
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khawk20 wrote:
If you guys need something AWA-ish to watch for one of these in the future, just let me know and I can rustle you up something fun. Well, fun to me, anyway.

Thanks to you and Helmick, I'm close to unleashing the set I've been talking about for several years covering 5/85 to 5/87 with Martel's peak as AWA champ, Hansen's underrated reign as AWA champ, Bockwinkel helping Hennig to become a credible main event threat and plausible champ (Hennig was a dork as a heel - Vince successfully played "Cool" Curt for camp value and it worked better than being the poor man's Flair), and the well remembered and still entertaining fued between the Midnight Rockers and Rose/Somers/Sherri.

The downside is lots of Ron Trongard, Larry Nelson, and Lord James Blears, not to mention those ugly casinos in New Jersey.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: