The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Box Office Thread 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker has passed $250M after 18 days -- it's well ahead of the paces of Logan and Venom.

Logan had about $35M left in the tank at this point. But I have to wonder if the studio will let Joker hang around as long as possible to see if it can to $300M domestic.

It's possible the new Terminator movie (which comes out Nov. 1) could cut into Joker's audience. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of films that are likely to do that.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker won its fourth straight box office weekend and is up to $277M now.

Its chances at $300M are looking better. Pretty impressive.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminator Dark Fate opened at $29M and added another $2M on Monday. It's just behind Terminator Genisys, which drew $34M in its first four days.

Genisys finished with just $89.7M domestic. Looks like $85M for Dark Fate and I'm sure the studio was hoping for more.

---

Meanwhile, Joker broke the $300M mark Monday.

Venom had about $13M left in the tank at this point, so Joker could very well finish with $315M domestic.

DC has had several flops at the box office, but the studio has to be happy with what Joker pulled in.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$130.3M opening weekend for Frozen 2. Not surprising it was a huge hit.

The first Frozen opened at $93.9M on Thanksgiving weekend and that one had enough legs to make it to $400M.

I'll be surprised if Frozen 2 doesn't reach $400M, but what its legs are like remains to be seen.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen 2 pulled in $125M during the five-day Thanksgiving weekend.

$400M is a lock. The question is whether it will have enough to get $500M.

Between that and the new Star Wars film, Disney is going to sweep the top five domestic grossing films and will have seven of the top 10, plus it sort of has a hand in the Spidey film.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$59.2M opening weekend for Jumanji 2. That outperformed the first film, which opened at $43.7M.

The first film, though, had strong legs and got to $400M.

The majority of reviews for the second film have been positive. We'll see if that translate to it having the legs of the first film.

Even so, $200M should be a lock for Jumanji 2. If the film is at least as popular as the first one, then it should reach $300M without much trouble.

Remember that the first film got to $400M when it was against Last Jedi, so Rise of Skywalker won't necessarily effect the second Jumanji film.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange because you would have thought this one would open much stronger given what the first one made. Big opening, less legs, maybe not getting to $400M but perhaps a chance at $300M.

What's interesting it that the first one opened after Last Jedi, while this one is opening before RoS. I think Last Jedi falling off helped open up space for Jumanji's leg. I don't know what's going to happen this time around.

Sorry for the lack of activity in this. Part busy, and part really not liking the integration of Mojo into the IMdb interface. Just largely annoyed by how less user friendly the IMdb interface is relative to the old one. Going over and not easily finding a Frozen Showdown was one of the latest things that pissed me off. :(
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Mojo's new setup, either. It's harder to navigate and look up information to compare movies, plus the showdowns are late going up.

This has also been a thread I haven't been able to follow up on much with more stuff going on at work.

But we have Rise of Skywalker to talk about this weekend, so there's that. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$175.5M. Behind Last Jedi. Sat-Sun look like dead heats with Rogue One. This may struggle to get to $500M.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through 14 days:

Jumanji 1: $195M
Jumanji 2: $129M

The second Jumanji is will behind the first film's take. I don't see this one having the legs of the first film.

Through 14 days:

Force Awakens: $390.8M
Rise of Skywalker: $259.2M

Obviously, Rise of Skywalker won't come anywhere near Force Awakens' final tally. It's also trailing Last Jedi.

Rise of Skywalker will hit $400M, but John is right -- it might have a tough time getting to $500M. Probably a good thing that they've decided to set aside Star Wars films for a while.

Still, Rise of Skywalker should finish in the top 10 domestic draws.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through 13 days:

Last Jedi: $445.2M
Rise of Skywalker: $390.6M

Rise of Skywalker is $55M behind Last Jedi's pace -- and that's through New Year's Day, whereas Last Jedi's 13th day was Dec. 27.

$600M is out of the question. $500M might be within its grasp, but it will need a good third weekend to get there.

Another film through 13 days:

Rogue One: $358.6M

And that was Dec. 28, so it got a boost from New Year's Day falling on its third weekend. Plus Rogue One had good legs.

Anyway... for RoS, its third weekend will tell its chances to get to $500M.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
Through 14 days:

Jumanji 1: $195M
Jumanji 2: $129M

The second Jumanji is will behind the first film's take. I don't see this one having the legs of the first film.

Through 14 days:

Force Awakens: $390.8M
Rise of Skywalker: $259.2M

Obviously, Rise of Skywalker won't come anywhere near Force Awakens' final tally. It's also trailing Last Jedi.

Rise of Skywalker will hit $400M, but John is right -- it might have a tough time getting to $500M. Probably a good thing that they've decided to set aside Star Wars films for a while.

Still, Rise of Skywalker should finish in the top 10 domestic draws.

For Rise of Skywalker, that actually isn't 14 days. My mistake.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of Jan 1 "Weekend"
$531,511,829 Last Jedi
$450,796,441 Rise of Skywalker
$440,901,381 Rogue One

It's 18th day for Jedi and include Monday the 1st. 17th day for Skywalker, going through today.

Skywalker isn't a terrible bet to get to $500M - Jedi has almost $90M in the tank at this point.

That it's ahead of Rogue isn't a great sign. Rogue made $65M this weekend (it was a four-day given how the 1st fell), while Skywalker is down around $34M.

We can't blame this on Last Jedi. We need to remember that Attack of the Clones was flat out hated and has a massive drop from The Phantom Menace, but Revenge of the Sith bounced back:

$431,088,295 The Phantom Menace
$310,676,740 Attack of the Clones
$380,270,577 Revenge of the Sith

I never thought Sith was any good, but it gave fan service and people like it more than Menace and Clones.

Pretty clear that the fans aren't liking Skywalker all that much, and that it's likely an overall thing about Star Wars at the moment rather than just Last Jedi.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one thing to see it once.....it a different thing when people go back to see it many times. Different type of "like".

I saw Star Wars #1 like 6 times. It was a major event. I was in the Army stationed in Tacoma WA, and it played for almost a years. Remember when fans used to line up out side for days.

The movie SON OF KONG came out before KING KONG was out of Theaters. It was re-released at least 5 or 6 times.

I think the best movie this year was JOKER. Blows away everything else. I had no need to see it more than once. ---Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the original Star Wars trilogy the other day and the first film ever released drew the most out of three, with Empire drawing less, but then Return of the Jedi drawing more (though not as much as the first film), in their original runs.

So the prequel trilogy followed a similar pattern -- in other words, it really wasn't film quality that had much to do with it.

Regardless, Rise of Skywalker just isn't generating repeat views or enough people who are curious to see how things end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: