The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vice: Dark Side of the Ring *SPOILERS*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The David Schultz John Stossel episode was better than expected, but my level of expectations were so low that it's not saying much.

There were conflicting stories as to why Schultz was eventually fired. Schultz claims that he went up to Mr. T and talked to him casually and Chief Jay Strongbow said that Schultz was to not be talking to Mr. T or he would be fired and told Vince. Hogan says that Schultz was in the ring and started calling out Mr. T who was at ringside.

Hogan's story seems more plausible, but Hogan has zero credibility. Schultz seemed to have credibility in this episode and given how the company was the land of the sharks (as Gary Hart described in his autobiography), I can possibly see people screwing Schultz over.

I had never actually seen the Eddie Mansfield portion of the 20/20 with Stossell until yesterday. It's amazing how much he looked like the Dynamite Kid during this time.

One quip I would have with this episode is that they didn't reveal how well Mansfield is doing now (which is very well). I personally don't like what he did and think he's full of shit about his intentions in exposing the business. He wasn't getting booked anywhere and was a guy who thought he was far better than he actually was and is a short guy who wasn't in the greatest shape back then. He needed money and had an ax to grind and so he did it while risking millions of dollars that the wrestlers were making.

In the end, the expose did not cost wrestling millions of dollars although you could argue that it hurt the small southern towns that were doing tremendous business. But that would have become extinct eventually anyway.

I generally don't like rednecks, but Schultz has always come across as somewhat likable for me. I don't believe that Stossel really had hearing problems (he's not one of my favorite by any means) and his claims for exposing the business to protect the consumer are ridiculous. You have to remember that Stossel is the same guy that condemned bar codes and bar code printing manufacturers for screwups in stores (an item priced at $50 getting charged at $75). Having worked in the bar coding industry for a while that's a screwup that the actual store is solely responsible for, not bar codes and the bar coding industry.

Sure there are exposes that Stossel has done that were for the betterment of the consumers. But in the end the biggest work of them all was that Stossel is a reporter instead of an entertainer.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Herb Abrams episode was pretty good, but felt like the creators had no clue as to who Herb Abrams was and then got into his story once they started filming.

Mainly because they missed out on a lot of other stories about Herb like the time he paid Dr. Death to shoot on Stevie Ray because of allegations that Ray slept with Herb's wife.

They did address where Herb got his money from. He was a legitimate businessman who made a lot of money in retail. For years I could never determine where he made his money and what I had heard was that he married an Asian woman whose family had amassed a fortune over in Japan and he was spending it like crazy.

What surprised me in the episode was how many of the people interviewed genuinely liked Herb. He comes off a bit like Heyman in this sense although Heyman wasn't a cocaine user. But despite his craziness and the bounced checks, most of the people spoke very fondly about Herb. And it makes me think that Mick Foley's experience under Herb was what made him realize that ECW was going to eventually fall under and that's why he left for the WWF in '95 instead of buying into the idea that ECW would compete with the WWF.

I think this is the last episode of the season. This season I felt was much better just because it was better organized and structured. However, the actual stories were less compelling. Had they structured and organized Season 1 episodes like they did in Season 2, then they would really have something.

Not sure what they can do for Season 3. Perhaps the WWF steroid scandal, the WWF ring boy scandal. Jacques Rougeau punching out Dynamite Kid. There are other stories out there, but they have made it known they need WWF/WWE related stories to keep the interest of the common fan.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the card when Schultz attacted Mr T. This is what I wrote two years ago:

FEB. 11, 1985óLOS ANGELES SPORTS ARENA (ATT: 15,217-MAYBE AN LA RECORD)
*) ANDRE THE GIANT & JUNKYARD DOG OVER KEN PATERA & JOHN STUDD VIA DQ
(ICC)
*) TITO SANTANA OVER GREG VALENTINE VIA COR
*) BRET HART & DAVID SAMMARTINO OVER ALEXIS SMIRNOFF & JACK ARMSTRONG
(JACK SUBED FOR DAVID SCHULTZ WHO WAS FIRED FOR ATTACKING MR T BACK STAGE.)
*) TONY ATLAS OVER THE SPOILER
*) JESSE VENTURA OVER LES THORNTON
*) JIM NEIDHART OVER RICK MCGRAW
*) MR WRESTLING II OVER TERRY GIBBS
(I was at the card. I believe Schultz was in the ring & then went after Mr T, who was sitting in the 2nd row. It seems Schultz was removed after he kept challenging T for 5 minutes or so. He was replaced by Armstrong. I thought it was a work. Mr T had been coming to the cards for a show or two. Always coming late to be noticed. I was waiting for something to happen. The rest of the night was forgettable. Bad show.)
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Road Warriors episode was much better than I expected, just the subject matter was a bit so-so. I would have enjoyed more discussion with Hawk's brothers as I always find that interesting.

Funny story is that I had dinner with Hawk and some other friends once and hung out with him another time. I had seen him without the makeup on, but he still had the double mowhawk. Then a few years later out comes a guy called 'Hawk' on Memphis TV. I figured it was some indy guy that wasn't very creative in picking a name.

It turns out to be Hegstrand himself. Couldn't even recognize him with the full hair and no makeup. To make matters even more funny, he looked like the doppleganger of a mutual friend of ours named John. When I saw this, I sent a tape to John and another friend of ours. They were completely stunned and we kept laughing at the fact that Hawk didn't know or didn't want to tell us that he looked exactly like John with a full head of hair and no face paint.

I did think Laurenaitis was a bit full of himself. He really believed they were the greatest tag team. Maybe the greatest drawing tag team from a world perspective (even then I don't know if that's true), but as far their work goes they were a team you got hyped up about when they first came in and then they grew stale quickly because they could really only wrestle their type of match. Personally, I'd rather watch the Steiner Brothers, in their prime, than The Road Warriors.

They also should have gone into the brilliance of Ellering. He made them an ungodly amount of money. Cornette has payroll slips of them getting $10K/week...a piece...in the late 80's...when almost nobody else was making that amount.

It would have also been interesting to see a documentary getting together wrestlers from the 3 breeding grounds of pro wrestling, Minneapolis, West Texas A&M and Tampa. And talk about their stories of getting into the business and their relationships with one another prior to the business.

But that's neither here nor there. A pretty good episode and they seem to be getting the hang of this. Next up is Owen Hart.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe they did an hour show on the Road Warriors & never mentioned the word steroids.

John has a good story about him & Dave being in Japan & Hawk following them around because he wanted to kick Dave's ass for getting steroid testing into the WWF & screwing up his world...or something.

All of these shows seemed to be made by fanboys.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Herb Abrams story was super sick. Where else but pro wrestling could you find people crying over a sick fuck like that piece of shit. The Killer Bee seems like his best friend & booker, and The Killer Bee is now running the CAC. We're trusting that type of judgement? I'm not going to the CAC anymore, because I can't dirty myself being around WWF wrestlers from the 80's & 90's, who could played around with someone like that, getting paid in coke. Something like that deserved to be forgotten & not put on TV again. Just read the old Observers.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dave had issues with Hawk on a different trip to Japan that included the following around incident. I think he shared the story with you and Hoback as well.

When we were there, Dave wanted to avoid any issues given the past heat, and Hawk not exactly being the most stable person at the time. When we saw him on the other side of the joint we were in, Dave wisely suggested we move on elsewhere.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think Brian Blair came off badly in the Herb Abrams episode. He seemed disgusted and frustrated with Abrams. The other wrestlers like Steve Ray and Sonny Beach were heartbroken over Herb and Foley, for whatever reason, seemed to like Herb as well. At the very least, Blair seemed to want to distance himself from Herb.

It would be kinda like condemning Bruno for Herb's actions as Bruno signed for big money and basically vouched for Herb. In reality, he was a guy that had a good bankroll and started a promotion...guys desperately wanted to get work and then his coke habit was so out of hand that he couldn't pay guys and production and couldn't be trusted. Some guys got suckered into it, even guys like Bruno who were standup guys.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"distance" isn't enough.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: