The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019/2020 NBA Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looked fat, out of shape, & not involved. The 4 3 pointers come about because he wasn't being guarded. He did make them. Most of the time, he looked slow of foot, but went to the ball well on rebounds. Carries too much weight, & with all his spinning moves.....his knees will get hurt. Did have a big 4 th QT. Couldn't tell much. It isn't the 2nd coming of Lebron James. More like George McGinnis in 1976. ---Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trade deadline is heating up. Iggy goes to Miami, after not playing in Memphis which pissed off the young core there.

And Now D'angelo Russell goes to the Timberwolves for Andrew wiggins. Shame we'll never get to a full season of Russell and the Splash brothers playing at the same time.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAR wouldn't fit with the Splash Brothers.

Wiggins and DAR have essentially the same salary and same time left on their contracts. The Dubs got a lightly protected 1st Rounder, that then turns into an unprotected one. It's with a team that is consistently a jobbers. They have their own #1, and as well as their ones between 2021-2023. That's a ton of assents, including two extremely valuable #1s, to trade for someone who wants to play on a new team this summer. Such as perhaps the current MVP.

Great move by the Warriors. They were going to get nothing for KD leaving. They ended up with a valuable #1 and a contract to match a star's that they can trade out.
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all-star game was really something. Or rather the 4th quarter, as Team Lebron beat Team Giannis in the 1st all-star game with the new format. It was played like a playoff game with all the intensity, players arguing after a foul was given. Only drawback was that the last few minutes of the game took like a half-hour to complete.

I would expect this format to be tweaked a little with the elimination of free throws in the 4th quarter to make the game run faster and add drama with only baskets ending the game.

it should be noted too, that Kawhi Leonard won all-star game MVP.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried but turned the lay up drill off by haft time.--Yohe
elliott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZION

That's all.
JAG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zion is unbelievable.

Best athlete to come into the league since LeBron.

Heís gonna have a few peaks

Jagdip
elliott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
Zion is unbelievable.

Best athlete to come into the league since LeBron.

Heís gonna have a few peaks

Jagdip

Look up a picture of rookie Lebron. That the level of athleticism is comparable when Zion is so much heavier is stunning. I've stopped comparing him to real people and just say he's Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson come to life.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its too bad he's most likely out of the running for ROTY due to him missing a lot of time. The scoring production he's been churning out since he debuted is amazing. He's helping the Pelicans perhaps make a late run towards the 8th seed and a possible 1st round matchup with the Lakers. Which the League has to hope happens.

But I'm sure there's going to be pundits out there who will argue that since he was out for the first few months, they'll give it to Ja Morant.
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even young Barkley wasnít this athletic.

Itís like a cross between LeBron and Shaq.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliott wrote:
Look up a picture of rookie Lebron. That the level of athleticism is comparable when Zion is so much heavier is stunning. I've stopped comparing him to real people and just say he's Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson come to life.

I think to keep in mind:

Bron went straight to the NBA out of high school. Zion played a year at Duke.

It's Bron's second year in the NBA that was two years out of college like Zion.

27-7-7 in 80 games to be All NBA 2nd team

Zion is a freak. Bron was a different level freak. :)

That was also a different era of the NBA where you could mug people far more than now. The league also hadn't got "small" and "stretch 4" and "stretch 5" like it is now.

I think "modern Barkley" isn't far off base. People growing up now are going to be shooting further out than a kid growing up when Chuck did.

Health is always going to be the concern. I wish it wasn't, but you need to remember that I'm a Duke Fan. I watched what happened last year at Duke that was both thrilling but also worrisome. I'd love to see him have a health NBA career since he's so different from much of what they NBA is currently about. Different things are cool. But... it's a worry at times to watch him.
elliott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think to keep in mind:

Bron went straight to the NBA out of high school. Zion played a year at Duke.

It's Bron's second year in the NBA that was two years out of college like Zion.

27-7-7 in 80 games to be All NBA 2nd team

This isn't a fair comparison. First of all, if Zion could have skipped college and gone straight to the league, he would have. The only thing that prevented him was the rules. You can't hold that against him.

LeBron was 18 when he entered the league and turned 19 December 30th that same season.

Zion was 19 when he entered the league and won't turn 20 until July. After the season. He's the 4th youngest player in the league right now.

I know you meant to say "two years out of high school" not college, but I think its fair to compare rookie seasons. This isn't like Rookie Kareem vs Rookie Dwight Howard in terms of age and experience level. The ages in their rookie seasons are much more comparable. And Zion's injury issues have slowed potential development vs Healthy LeBron entering the league.

Zion's putting up 23/7/2 and shooting 58% in 28mpg.

That second LeBron season, Lebron played 42.4 mpg. More than a full quarter per game more than Zion is playing. LeBron also shot 47% from the field that second season. Before LeBron even began that second regular season where he made 2nd Team All NBA, he had played in one summer league, had two NBA training camps, two pre-seasons, 79 regular season NBA games and a proper NBA off-season.

Zion played one season in College and I'll avoid any Coach K bashing and let's just assume Coach K was at his best coaching last year (literally no one would say this, but lets pretend) and that Zion learned a lot. That's still 33 games and not all were good teams. Stetson, Hartford, Army, Eastern KY, Yale, Princeton, San Diego State. He then played...one half of a summer league game. He didn't play for 3 months and then walked on the court scoring 20+ppg on minutes restrictions.

I fundamentally disagree that Second Year LeBron is the correct comp for Rookie Year Zion.

Rookie LeBron 21/5/5 on 41/29/75 in 39 mpg. I think Zion likely would have had comparable numbers (if not better) if he had been able to skip the NCAA BS and go straight to the NBA and play 39mpg. Maybe he couldn't have played 39mpg....but he's bettering those numbers in just 28 now coming off an injury.

Now. To be clear. I think rookie LeBron was a better player than rookie Zion. Rookie Zion may be more efficient. But LeBron had more to do. Zion's role is extremely limited thus far and he's been put in a position to only do the things he excels at and has been kept fresh (though he's been above 30min more and more recently). LeBron was basically running the offense from the start and playing enormous minutes.

My argument John originally quoted is solely about the athleticism. The leaping, speed, agility, even hand eye coordination is on that LeBron level.

Quote:
Zion is a freak. Bron was a different level freak. :)

I honestly think Zion at the same age is maybe more impressive because the speed, agility, jumping, second jumping are comparable but Zion carries so much more weight (Fat and muscle).

Of course, part of LeBron's freakness has been his ability to maintain his otherwordly athleticism and stay healthy for so long.

What makes Zion so impressive is a similar effect to short guys dunking I suppose. Spud Webb's not as good a dunker as Aaron Gordon. But considering Spud is over a foot shorter, he's a more impressive dunker. Young LeBron might be a little faster than Young Zion or maybe he can jump a couple inches higher, but the fact that its even close and Zion has been called fat & out of shape on national television is what blows my mind.

Quote:
That was also a different era of the NBA where you could mug people far more than now. The league also hadn't got "small" and "stretch 4" and "stretch 5" like it is now.

This is true, but Zion is playing a lot of 5 and is being guarded by (and eating alive) 7 footers like Whiteside (twice), Steven Adams, Brook Lopez, Valanciunas. Not saying these guys are prime Mutombo or teams are playing him like the Riley Knicks. Of course the rules haven't changed. But he's posting up legit 7 footers and scoring efficiently. Folks were worried about his ability to score and rebound over big bodies. He's showing that's not an issue.

Honestly, this is another thing that stands out compared to Young LeBron. Dallas guarded Lebron in the Finals with 6 foot JJ Barea as recently as 2011 and LeBron couldn't take over in the post. Zion has polished post moves 11 games into his career.

Quote:
I think "modern Barkley" isn't far off base. People growing up now are going to be shooting further out than a kid growing up when Chuck did.

Barkley has always been the most obvious comparison. And I was a literal baby during rookie Barkley so I can't compare like I can with Lebron (who is my age). But seeing highlights and reading the stories, I was always under the impression that Young Barkley was much less polished as a player and didn't have the muscle definition of Young Zion. Era plays a part in that. We know more about diet and exercise now than we did when Barkley was coming up.

And of course, Barkley spent 3 years at Auburn & was 21 when he entered the league. Which is much less comparable than LeBron skipping college & Zion's semester & a half at Duke :)

Quote:
Health is always going to be the concern. I wish it wasn't, but you need to remember that I'm a Duke Fan. I watched what happened last year at Duke that was both thrilling but also worrisome. I'd love to see him have a health NBA career since he's so different from much of what they NBA is currently about. Different things are cool. But... it's a worry at times to watch him.

As you know, I'm the exact opposite of a Duke fan, but I'm a Basketball fan above all so I watched as much Zion as possible at Duke (and have watched all his NBA games). My stepmom literally yelled at me 3 months ago "You LIKE ZION WILLIAMSON? Ugh!" And I just looked at her stupefied and said "Yes he's probably the most incredible athlete I've ever seen on a basketball court and I get to watch him for the next decade. I LOVE Zion Williamson." She could not comprehend how I could put aside UNC/Duke. Zion has that once in a generation athleticism and plays with the passion you want for a guy that athletic (unlike say prime Vince Carter).

So I worry too. But goddamnit. If Trump is gonna be the fucking emperor and blow up the world, I'm gonna need Zion Williamson and Luka Doncic to stay as healthy as possible. ;)

My long term hope is that Zion stays healthy and his success pushes bigger dudes into basketball. The NFL is bad for the world and those dudes should've all just tried to be basketball players instead.

I'm talking 2 Leagues. 50 Teams. Games 365 days a year. Mahomes? That guy should've been a Point Guard. Some big left tackle I don't know about. He should've been a power forward. :)

Those guys don't get CTE. The World gets more basketball. Everyone wins. :)

edit:
Do we know when LeBron's big growth spurt was? Zion grew 6in between 9th and 10th grade so he's still getting used to his body.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241495/LeBron-James-Was-Told-By-Doctor-At-11-Hed-Only-Grow-To-Be-63

Bron get 11 inches from the age of 11 to graduating high school, including 5 inches in his last three years of high school.

His growth spurt isn't far removed from Zion, other than putting on a ton of weight... though Bron did bulk up a great team, just not like Zion.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Doctor can predict how tall a kid will be. Junk.---Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Steph Curry is slated to return this Sunday. Interesting considering the Warriors are all but done this year. But time to test out the Curry/Wiggins duo before next year when Klay returns, and the Warriors are back to full strength.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: