The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019/2020 NBA Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought for a while that the Raptors would take the Celtics out, but they ran out of gas late.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDA takes a bow out of Houston:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29877395/sources-mike-dantoni-telling-houston-rockets-return-coach

Not terribly surprising, but it sounds like it was his choice all along... though it's possible that Houston was low balling him on the contract going back to the off season.

100% certain that he will coach somewhere next year. Four seasons of coaching a team to .682 (56-26 average across 82 games), while going to the WCSF-WCF-WCSF-WCSF in those four years. They also tend to play a high scoring, exciting game... though Harden tends to annoy everyone who isn't a home fan of his. There's going to be a fair number of owners/GMs out there who want some of that.

He is 69. This is probably the most leverage that he's had since his PHX run ended. He's also up there in age where he's getting near the end of the run. He probably is looking for his last chance at a bigger money deal.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/LawMurrayTheNU/status/1305205289101139969

Quote:
Law Murray @LawMurrayTheNU

5 playoff teams are changing head coaches

76ers
Nets
Pacers
Thunder
Rockets

11:02 AM Sep 13, 2020

Looking at the teams remaining, the following teams feel unlikely to change coaches:

Boston
Denver
Miami

The Lakers seem unlikely barring an ugly crash and burn.

I would be surprised if Doc got fired given his leadership in The Bubble, and dumping him would be a bad look for the Clippers. On the other hand, their whole season has been built around (i) WCF vs Lakers and (ii) playing for the Title. Crashing in the WCSF after having a 3-1 lead would have the team looking for someone to blame. I think they can job to the Lakers or in the Final. A WCSF crash and might have them questioning it, especially if there is any buzz that he wasn't connecting with Claw.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're at it, to quote Uncle Steve:

Fuck the Celtics

jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All-NBA Teams:

First: Giannis Antetokounmpo, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, James Harden, Luka Doncic

Second: Damian Lillard, Kawhi Leonard, Nikola Jokic, Chris Paul, Pascal Siakam

Third: Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum, Jimmy Butler, Rudy Gobert, Russell Westbrook

I would go for either Lowry or Middleton over Russ on the 3rd team. Could move other guys between teams, but I think the other 14 are the guys I would have in addition to either Lowry or Middleton.

Key to remember that this is all pre-Bubble season related. What they did in the bubble didn't count in the voting.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paul is over rated, as always.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took guts to put Leonard on 2nd team. The only thing he did wrong was join the Clippers. The Dallas kid down to 2nd team wouldn't have made any waves. --- Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantoni going to Phily with the best player being the center? How does that work?

Rivers needs a move. He could fuck up Phily & no one would realize it was him screwing the pouch .... like always.

OKC coach could go to the Clips & make good money. Looks better than Doc too.

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Chris Paul is over rated, as always.

People thought that team would be a lottery team, and go into tanking. They ended up 44-28 (50 wins in a 82 game season). He was the leader of the team, and once it was clear they had playoff chances totally committed to it rather than fighting to get traded before the deadline. OKC was probably the best "feel good" story in the NBA this side of Toronto - a team left for dead by it's two superstars forcing trades out of town (Westbrook and George), and yet there they were in the playoffs by a comfortable margin.

I don't see any guard who didn't make the three teams who deserves to be on more than him. I like Lowry, but he didn't have a better season the CP3. And if I had to carve out a place for Lowry, it wouldn't by by dumping CP3 but instead dumping Westbrook.

Steve Yohe wrote:
Took guts to put Leonard on 2nd team. The only thing he did wrong was join the Clippers. The Dallas kid down to 2nd team wouldn't have made any waves.

It took some balls. My guess is that when they saw this at the end of the regular season:

44-20 LAC
40-27 DAL

And saw Claw had Paul George (2019 1st Team All-NBA & All-Defense), Lou Williams (2018 & 2019 6th Man of the Year) and Montrezl Harrell (who the voters were picking this year's 6th Man)... and over there was Luka with the gimpy Porzingis and a cast of castaways, they thought Luka made a lot out of a nothing roster, while Claw led a team to a disappointing season.

Which is something you've been bitching about all year - the Clippers weren't playing well, didn't seem to give much of a shit, and seemed like they thought they already won something. I think that rubbed a lot of voters raw, and Claw took some shit for it.

My guess is that Luka is going to be higher in the MVP than Claw as well. 29-9-9 from a player who didn't turn 21 until after the All Star Break grabbed a lot of people's attention, as did the fact that the team was an easy playoff team after being 33-49 (second worst in the West) last year.

Quote:
Dantoni going to Phily with the best player being the center? How does that work?

I think he goes to Philly if it's just about the money... and perhaps if they tell him they're trading Embiid. Money is a huge deal when you just turned 69 and this is likely the last chance at a big contract.

If he's looking for a team that fits him, New Orleans might be better. I don't know if their GM wants to play that style of hoops. I do think it would make for an exciting brand of hoops that might sell well to fans in a tough to draw NOLA market.

Quote:
Rivers needs a move. He could fuck up Phily & no one would realize it was him screwing the pouch .... like always.

I was listening to a podcast that suggested if Claw wants a new coach, they should trade Rivers to Philly for some picks (since all their picks are gone to OKC for years to come), and elevate Ty Lue.

Quote:
OKC coach could go to the Clips & make good money.

Donovan had a good regular season. He was questionable in the playoff series with the Rockets, especially in playing Steven Adams an average of 30 minutes a game against a team playing 100% small where Adams had Zero offensive value and extremely little defensive value.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat take Game 2 against the Celtics to go up 2-0. Wicked!
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giannis wins the MVP.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expected. i look forward to seeing the vote count to see how people finished lower on the list, assuming Bron finishes #2.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston-Miami could turn into a nice war. Drag this thing out. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "00 Finals / Champions" are interesting:

1950 Minneapolis Lakers 4-2 Syracuse Nationals
1960 Boston Celtics 4-3 St. Louis Hawks
1970 New York Knicks 4-3 Los Angeles Lakers
1980 Los Angeles Lakers 4-2 Philadelphia 76ers
1990 Detroit Pistons 4-1 Portland Trail Blazers
2000 Los Angeles Lakers 4-2 Indiana Pacers
2010 Los Angeles Lakers 4-3 Boston Celtics

Lakers have been in 5 of the 7 Finals, winning 4 of them.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-1 series lead for the Heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: