The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW Dynamite Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that they've had a steady amount of total viewers in recent weeks. Even last week the total viewers for both shows was up ~10K and with Nielsen's methodology that bump can't be taken as credible as it fits within their margin for error.

It's the same pool of people watching both shows and they just switch to what they are watching, usually based off who is in the main event and what starts off the program.

AEW started off with basically indy goofiness to their episode and a bunch of fans flipped over to NXT. Orange Cassidy is a goofy gimmick that doesn't have much of a shelf life on it. When he's taken seriously, people don't want to see it, so he's better off being in the middle of the card.

But again, it goes to prove my point that I made months ago....if you have a guy like that who draws far more in the middle of the card and outdraws your main eventers and you can't move him to main event status because the fans will tune out...you've got a problem with your main eventers. But the question becomes if OC is actually cannibalizing viewers from the main eventers when he's in the middle of the card.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Dave Meltzer didn't seem to approve of tonight's guest moderator, Eric Bischoff. The best part from that segment was Orange Cassidy's answer to the global warming question, and Bischoff liking it. I'm pretty sure that was a rib given Bischoff's political leanings.

Both the opening match, and the main event were great. I was discussing with a friend about who would win wrestler of the year. My friend picked Moxley. I would be inclined to agree. It's such a treat watching him compete. I also like how he earns from past matches. He's gotten a little mileage out of that epic Suzuki match he had earlier in the year.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing that people are trying to clean up the reputation of Eric Bischoff is sick. I can't watch this stuff. All AEW is, is them pushing a bunch of ex-WWE guys, who were burnt out with Vince. All it has done is hurt Omega & NJW.

Moxley is their MVP, with Omega sitting around. I can't stand American wrestling, and NJW has made Evil the IWGP champ! Eye vs Eye matches, that get 4 stars in the WON. WWE gives money to Trump. Taped matches on PPV that the fans love. I'm feeling like dropping out of wrestling completely. Like John. It is shit...and they & their fans don't know it. --- Steve Yohe
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW: 901K/0.36
NXT: 753K/0.20

Hopefully for the 8/12 show AEW will follow a similar formula to see if the formula they've been using works. Basically, start off each hour with the non-indy guys and feature Moxley early on to have him built up for the main event. And keep Orange Cassidy in the middle of the show.

I will say that I was skeptical if AEW would ever draw 900K+/0.35 again or in the near future. While it helps to have Shahid Khan backing this promotion and the show, with the TNT execs that supported the show out at the network, you never know where the new execs may take the programming altogether. Although I think Khan, being an NFL owner who might end up moving the team to London in the future, has too much pull for the new execs to pull the show.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Knowing that people are trying to clean up the reputation of Eric Bischoff is sick. I can't watch this stuff. All AEW is, is them pushing a bunch of ex-WWE guys, who were burnt out with Vince. All it has done is hurt Omega & NJW.

Moxley is their MVP, with Omega sitting around. I can't stand American wrestling, and NJW has made Evil the IWGP champ! Eye vs Eye matches, that get 4 stars in the WON. WWE gives money to Trump. Taped matches on PPV that the fans love. I'm feeling like dropping out of wrestling completely. Like John. It is shit...and they & their fans don't know it. --- Steve Yohe

Not to support Trump or the WWE, but if one had to boycott large corporations that give money to candidates on either side of the party spectrum...you're not going to be much of a consumer of everything. These large corporations donate to both sides for their company's best interests. Republicans, who have bootlicked for Corporate America for decades, are starting to find out that Corporate America only serves themselves.

AEW is shite. It's only considered 'good' because it's not as bad as the WWE. I'd probably like it with less WWE guys on there, but your only replacements are indy guys who are pretty good in an indy setting in an old VFW Hall in front of 400 people. Plus getting a TV contract without some WWE names probably would have been tough to come by, even with Shahid Khan backing the company.

But AEW is just very lackluster. The announcing has been terribly disappointing. Jim Ross is cooked. Excalibur looks like a cosplay goof and hasn't grown as an announcer. And the entire 3-man announce team just doesn't work.

Omega worked the money mark and got a very light schedule. Brodie Lee has been a flop. Jericho has gotten too goofy, etc.

I don't hate American wrestling, but AEW needed to be more puroresu-ish than American boutique indy-ish with a mix of sports entertainment.

The other problem is they really don't have the crew that can get the wrestlers to improve over time. I know Malenko and company are agents, but they've been so conditioned to do sports entertainment type wrestling that is what they are going to coach their guys on. I'd like to use a better person in this example, but AEW is a promotion that is badly in need of a Bill Watts type who can oversee the booking and the company vision while coaching the talent to get them better.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW: 792K/0.32
NXT: 619K/0.16

1,654 total viewers last week versus 1,411 total viewers this week.

I didn't watch AEW (again), but I was interested in the ratings because they went away from the formula that has worked and it showed up in the ratings. The opener saw the Young Bucks vs. The Dark Order and the main event was Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy.

Nobody is interested in the Dark Order and Orange Cassidy continues to be a flop as a main eventer. And what's even worse is that he's probably drug Jericho down with him in the process.

AEW just seems allergic to getting momentum and they end up booking nonsense like this and hamstring themselves.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW did a Saturday Night show that did 755K viewers and a 0.31 rating in the demo. 5th in Saturday night shows.

The positive is that it shows some real brand loyalty. Meltzer reported that the latest ratings showed that the 18-49 year old males will watch NXT, but the 18-49 females will not if AEW is on.

I think all in all...the AEW fanbase were likely old WWE fans that Vince killed off for good. And as long as AEW doesn't insult their intelligence and sensibilities, they'll stick to watching AEW. Even if the booking is crap (which it is), as long as it's not dreadful or insulting the audience they'll stick with AEW.

Some were praising the booking for having Brodie Lee win a clean squash over Cody out of nowhere.

While it was unexpected, I think it's symptomatic of AEW's lack of experience and wisdom in their booking. Also, Lee is best friends with the CFO of AEW and it reeks of cronyism.

One can argue that they were trying to get Lee over, but at the expense of Cody is problematic. Even more problematic is that Lee isn't over. If he were over and they wanted to solidify that, then it's a plausible booking decision. But nothing is worse than pushing a guy that isn't over with the fans.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW: 928K/0.36
NXT: 849K/0.26

While the total viewership went up and the demo's were up, that's because they ran opposed as NXT did a Tuesday night show and AEW did their normal Wednesday night spot.

There's talk of NXT moving to Tuesday nights permanently. I had been thinking that AEW might want to try and get a Tuesday night spot so they can run unopposed and air earlier in the week than NXT so the market won't be over-saturated with wrestling come Wednesday. If NXT beats them to the punch it would be a smart move that would help both NXT and AEW, but likely help NXT more than it would help AEW.

There's certainly positives in this week's numbers, but it still has some concerns that neither could get over 1 million or 0.45 in the demo despite running unopposed.

It shows that AEW has ~750K loyal viewers and NXT has about +600K loyal viewers that will always watch every week. The rest comes from who is in the main event and who opens up each hour. AEW did have Moxley as the main event, but he's drawn these type of ratings even when opposed to NXT. They had indy-ish no names open each hour and that likely played a role in them not getting over 1 million viewers.

If NXT moves to Tuesday nights, I just think that AEW's ratings won't improve by much unless they seriously improve the product and create new stars while NXT will start to get into the top-10 in the demo which has been difficult for them to accomplish on Wednesday nights.

That's good news for both companies as it will secure their spots on TV in all likelihood. But as far as AEW competing with RAW, that's only going to happen if RAW continues to be panned by the audience and the ratings shrink which means that there's a decline in total wrestling fans.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW did 1.01M viewers with a 0.37 rating in the demo. That's up ~85K in viewers and 0.1 in the demo

Of course, AEW went unopposed for the second night in a row and was coming off their All Out PPV which is generally when promotions due higher ratings.

My estimation is that with them being unopposed, they are getting roughly 200K-250K of NXT's usual Wedensday night viewing audience.

I believe that NXT is going to be back on Wednesday next week and that will be interesting to see how it impacts the AEW Dynamite ratings. If AEW Dynamite does close to 900K, then I think the past 2 weeks where they went unopposed helped AEW gain new viewers. If the ratings go back closer to 800K for AEW (and 0.32 in demo) then it had no real effect and may show that between All Out and the 9/9 Dynamite didn't help them get new viewers.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW: 886K/0.34
NXT: 689K/0.18

With both shows running opposed to each other, the ratings were down for both shows, but the overall viewership was up.

At this point, I would estimate that AEW picked up about 100K from the weeks they went unopposed and NXT picked up about 50K viewers.

However, it's only a 1-week sample size and next week the data will give us an idea of how many viewers were picked up.

I didn't watch either show, but haven't really heard the reviews for it either.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meltzer gave 5-stars to Santana/Ortiz vs. The Best Friends on the 9/16/20 Dynamite and while that drew the ire of many fans, it was a match that was widely well-received.

So I watched it which you can find here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGrSZtvFJpU

I will say that the problem with critics getting involved with the ratings game is that people can always go back and point out matches that were far superiorin quality but received a lower rating. And granted, sometimes the moment gets lost in the context.

For example, ECW's Gangstas Paradise featured the Pitbulls vs. Raven & Stevie Richards in a double dog collar match that got high praise from me at the time. Looking back, it aged horribly...it wasn't well executed and you could see it was over-booked. In retrospect it may have been one of the worst things that happened to ECW because for as overbooked as it was, it was critically acclaimed and probably made Heyman think he was always good enough to overbook his way out out of his inferior talent.

But at the time...it was easy to look past the sloppiness and that this was more of a bunch of angles than an actual match.

With that, I tried to be open minded watching the match and not let Meltzer's controversial rating sway me.

First, I'll give AEW some credit for actually building something of a feud before they went to this match. Unfortunately the feud was based around this silly angle of Trent's mini-van being damaged by Santana & Ortiz. It's bad enough AEW is silly, but being silly for the sake of it is even worse.

The announcing also sucked. It's time to put ole JR out to pasture. He doesn't have it anymore and he's not teaching Excalibur, who was continually laughing and chortling about a street fight throughout the match. Schiavone was left to try and make this a serious and brutal match. Granted he tried, but that's not exactly Tony's forte.

And they also start off with chops and forearms in a street fight. The spots with Ortiz (or Santana...I get the two screwed up) under the car hood was just stupid. It wasn't plausible that he was being hurt under the hood and then it was clear that doing high spots on top of the hood actually hurt Taylor and Trent even more.

Then there's a bunch of garbage spots that are too common in modern wrestling that go something like this...

Wrestler A sets up a table. Wrestler B gains the advantage after Wrestler A sets up the table. Then Wrestler A then blocks Wrestler B and then hits wrestler A with a move on the table that Wrestler B was originally attempting to execute.

This is indy workers way of 'teasing' spots, but not realizing that when every spot it like that then all of them lose their luster. Instead, when Santana & Ortiz simply picked up Trent and powerbombed him thru the windshield at 9:40, it had a greater effect.

Then Taylor smashes a 2x4 over Ortiz but it gets exposed as him breakingit over the car instead of Ortiz. He then does a back body drop spot, receiving it from Santana, onto a garbage can. Even though the back body drop spot looks phony and setup, it would not be so noticeable if all of these sequences of spots did not have a 'your turn, my turn' vibe to them.

And then Orange Cassidy comes out from a trunk which just made the entire match seem implausible and setup. That alone should make it no more than 4-stars.

In reality I'd give it far less than that. For TV,they had some amazing spots, but once again they missed the mark by having a brutal and dangerous street fight over a dumb angle and the wrong team won and allof the credibility of the match between two teams that hate each other was lost once the Orange Cassidy spot happened.

* 1/2

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should note that the Late Night Dynamite edition of AEW that took place after Game 3 of Lakers/Nuggets, and which started after 12:30 AM, had a higher 18-34 demo rating than last night's NXT.

0.26 to 0.18

That is really something.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW: 835K/0.32
NXT: 696K/0.18

AEW was down from the previous week. Overall, given the margin for error the ratings were about the same as last week. What's interesting is that Moxley was announced to be in the main event ahead of time and the ratings dropped when they usually go up with Moxley in the main event.

My feeling is that the weak opener (Sonny Kiss/Janela vs. Miro/Sabian) was the root cause. When Dynamite puts on an indy-type opener the ratings tend to disappoint.

YR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: