The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW Dynamite Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically gave up watching Dynamite after the supposed 5-star match between the Best Friends and Santana/Ortiz. It was 2-stars at best and its best.

I tried watching the Brodie Lee vs. Cody dogcollar match and it was pretty good, but again...they blew their wad with the booking of this match.

I've stopped caring about the ratings. It's pretty obvious to see that they have 750K loyal fans that they basically got from Vince driving them away and at this rate they are not going to expand and even if they did, I would not likely give a damn about it.

I'm done defending Meltzer. He's really destroying his credibility on Twitter with how he defends AEW. He's definitely got a dog in this fight and anytime anybody criticizes AEW he just says to the effect that previous generations used to criticize Harley, Flair, Steamboat, etc. And when that fails he cites that his teenage son and friends, who Dave admits are not fans, like it.

Also Dave said that Kenny Omega has better psychology than Jumbo did.

YR

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I still watch and enjoy certain parts to it. It's much more enjoyable and better than the WWE.

However new Japan is still the best wrestling promotion today.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious that they have a very loyal fanbase of 750K and about 0.32 in the demo and they play to that fanbase.

The frustrating part to me is that if they didn't play to that fanbase as much...that fanbase would still be there and they would grow. All they did was take fans from the WWE instead of creating new ones.

Unfortunately, we know how that story goes...eventually those fans either get bored with the product or go back to the WWE and because no new fans are created, the promotion eventually collapses.

And again, this is the time to strike. The WWE is down, networks see the issues with MMA programming and how pro wrestling can provide a better alternative.

I did find it funny that a few days ago on Twitter Meltzer tweeted how no teenagers and students at his Stanford class talk about or follow pro wrestling. This after quite a few tweets where I've told him that pro wrestling is dying off and the universe of fans are getting smaller and you almost never see anybody wearing pro wrestling apparel out in public anymore and he tried to refute all of those claims and how the indies were doing 50+ shows a week prior to COVID-19.

When somebody says something negative about the business with something negative about AEW attached to it, he finds a way to spin everything as a positive and 'you need to learn' and 'you don't understand.' But when somebody says something negative about the business with the WWE attached to it..you're suddenly spot on.

HoC
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching some of Ring of Honor's PURE tournament.

The rules are the following:

1. Each contestant is allowed 3 rope breaks, whether it's for submission or pinfall. After their 3 rope breaks are used up, then all submissions and pins with the ropes are legal.

2. No closed fist punches to the head. A wrestler gets a warning for the first closed fiist punch to the face and then loses a rope break on the second punch to the face.

3. Wrestlers are subject to a 20 count if they go to the floor

It has created an incredible dynamic where we see far more shoot style wrestling combined with traditional pro wrestling maneuvers and with more interesting stories to tell.

The Fred Yehi vs. Travis Williams match was spectacular. I haven't felt that way about a pro wrestling match in a long time. Probably since Riddle vs. Thatcher Fight Pit match.

This kinda reminded me of a mix of BattlArts combined with a bit of Misawa vs. Kawada from say '93.

Because of the rules, the style is so different and it feels more 'real' in the sense that while I don't think either Williams or Yehi are 'the toughest man int he world', but with the rules I get the feeling that they may be the best at this sport with these rules.

They also used some great psychology by not going to rope breaks for every submission as they didn't want to use all of their rope breaks too early. So they would successfully block submissions with 2 or 3 rope breaks left and then save other rope break spots for more important parts of the match.

And the lack of punches thrown means I don't have to watch guys slap their thigh on punches and it makes the chops more of a logical strike to use in the match.

The only thing I don't quite care for is that matches where the time limit expires they go to a judges decision. I don't think that has ever drawn well in pro wrestling and I don't think it's a highlight of boxing either.

The promos need a lot of work. They aren't bad ,but they just aren't any good. The promos come off like a HHH promo...kind of like they read a handbook on how wrestlers are to cut a promo. And with most modern day promos, none of them know how to actually sell themselves and their match to the audience and there's a bit too much post match congratulatory stuff going on.

But otherwise this is really great and I could watch a promotion with these rules and this level of work.

YR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: