The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Departed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: The Departed Reply with quote

Yohe - need to know what you think of this one that comes out today. Toss up some comments after you've seen it.

Of course others who see it are free to comment. :)

John
eron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack throwing coke to hookers...
A "supporting" cast including Charlie Sheen, Mark Whalberg and Alec Baldwin...
Leo still looking like he is in his 20's, but at least showing some believable intensity...

If this isn't the best movie of the year, then something had to go *badly* wrong.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 10:30 in the AM on Friday & I'm on my way.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
A "supporting" cast including Charlie Sheen, Mark Whalberg and Alec Baldwin...

Martin Sheen, not Charlie. :)

Kenneth Turan of the LA Times gave it a good review, but said that everyone once in a while Scorsese and Nicholson start to lose a bit of control:

Quote:
Scorsese has a need to periodically go over the top that will either be to your taste or not.

The same is true for Jack Nicholson's central performance as criminal kingpin Frank Costello...

But:

Quote:
Whenever one of the film's numerous indulgences threatens to disrupt things, strong acting and the wheels-within-wheels plot don't let it happen.

The Critics Tomatometer over at Rotten Tomatoes is a stout 95% right now. I'm holding out some hope that it doesn't go straight off the rails.

Hmm... I know Cheetah is a fan of mob stuff, but I don't know if she likes *any* of those actors. This might not be a good movie to got to with her. :)

John

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back & the movie didn't work for me. Kind of fun with all the big stars & hard talk...but it don't seem real & it just goes off at the end. I didn't need the coke orgy scene or want to see Jack's dick & there's about two too many rats at the end. Of the four leads, I would says that DiCaprio is the only one that impressed me. I think these Italian guys should stop making movies about the Irish. **1/2--Yohe
chadlaca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: "the departed" Reply with quote

Saw it a few days ago. Not a "great" film (shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with his masterpieces) but I thought it was loads of fun. I'm a fan of what Steve termed "hard talk" and this pic's got it by the bushel. Lots of swagger and machismo and plenty of violence. There's definitely a degree of "Jack being Jack" from Nicholson (which I'll take over "Pacino being Pacino" seven days a week) but for the most part I got a kick out of him and the rest of the cast as well. Thought DiCaprio in particular did a nice job and Alec Baldwin steals almost every scene he's in (doesn't hurt that he gets a bunch of the funny lines). Not a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination, but fun.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one of those movies that depended on star power & a big part of it was the relationship between Dicaprio & Damon. In the old days, you would get a feeling from seeing major stars on screen that would add to a movie. It was a big deal to have Lancaster/Douglas, Newman/McQueen (or Redford), Olivier/Caine, Cagney/Bogart, Gable/Tracy together on film tring to steal scenes from each other. I didn't really get any real "heat" from seeing the two "big" stars Dicaprio & Damon working against each other. Something was missing. Maybe Damon is too professional & giving.

Funny Nicholson is self-indulgent but ,most of the time, he's kind of cool about it. Most of his sins take place away from the other stars. I hate to think what Pacino would have done with the role. It would have been the Al show. Jack could have turned himself loose (see BATMAN) but he gave everyone a break....well like I said...most of the time.

You wonder if Scorsese thought about a Boston type De Niro for that part. Hey..Robert can act. De Niro makes things seem real.

I think Wahlberg would have been better than Damon in the insider gangster/cop part. He reacts instead of acts & he trys to steal every scene in this movie. Wahlberg has something that Damon doesn't. Including a true Boston accent and a killer instinct. Damon wants to be an actor & get everything just right & doesn't think too much about getting himself over, while Wahlberg is grabing all he can get. When you saw the billing of this movie, you knew Wahlberg would be the last man standing.

This didn't really turn out to be a serious movie...maybe self-indulgent acting was the way to go.

Sorry about the goffy rambling.--Yohe
bobbarnett

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been watching a different movie. I thought it was classic.
It was the right call to 86 most of Marty's regular crew when he switched from Italian hoods to Irish hoods.
I thought the jokes were sick hilarious, and Wahlberg and Nicholson should get Oscar nominations.
I wanted to shoot someone, anyone, in the head when it ended.
The girlfriend wanted to shop.
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say this was a very good movie. I won't go as far as to say classic, but it is a must see in theaters. Every character seemed just about perfectly cast, and there wasn't a hint of dissapointment for me.

While you're out there, see The Prestige. Absolutely brilliant and a runaway for best movie of the year like Good Night and Good Luck and Capote were last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: