The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Marine

View previous topic :: View next topic  

The lifetime domestic box office for "The Marine" will be...
Less than $10 million
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Less than $10 million
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Between $10 million and $15 million
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Between $10 million and $15 million
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Between $15 million and $20 million
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Between $15 million and $20 million
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Between $20 million and $25 million
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Between $20 million and $25 million
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Between $25 million and $30 million
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Between $25 million and $30 million
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
More than $30 million
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
More than $30 million
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: The Marine Reply with quote

Looks like the WWE wasn't willing to risk screening "The Marine" for critics.

http://www.startribune.com/1553/story/738046.html

"See No Evil" opened to $4.6M and limped to $15M, but it was running alone in the horror genre.

Action movie "Crank" and video game movie "Doom" opened to $10.5M and $15.5M respectively, but both finished up around $28M.

I'm guessing "The Marine" will finish somewhere between $15M and $28M, though a movie that hides from critics has the potential to earn far less.

Frank
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday estimate of $2,250,000, which is 6th place. Three of the Top 5 have been out for a week or more. It looks like Open Season and Chainsaw will top it. A weekend in about the $6M range.

Next week isn't loaded with blockbuster - Flags of Our Fathers in semi-limted release, Flicka for kids, Nolan & Bale's The Prestige in just 2000 theaters. Those movies will all top The Marine next week, but they're not so huge that they and the movies in this week's Top 5 will suck up all the box offive money.

The WWE really needs to cut bait on this business unit. The money tossed into it would be better spent elsewhere.

John
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Frank nailed it in his first paragraph, right down to the comparison to Cannon Films, the old Golan-Globus production company whose credits included "The Happy Hooker", "Death Wish 2", "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo", "Missing in Action 2: The Beginning", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2", and the infamous "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace."

Frank

Dr. Frank Swietek wrote:
Anyone with a hankering for low-budget, logic-free action shlock of the sort that mini-studios like Cannon used to churn out in the 1980s, usually for "stars" like Michael Dudikoff and David Bradley, is directed to "The Marine." Nowadays such explosion-laced, fisticuff-heavy, utterly brainless stuff is sent directly to cable or the DVD bin, but World Wrestling Entertainment has resurrected it for the big screen to showcase their stable of muscle-men, and so this retro piece of inanity is being brought to theatres via Twentieth Century Fox. It won’t be long before you can catch it on Spike TV, though.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estimates:

$22,000,000 The Grudge 2
$18,675,000 The Departed
$12,550,000 Man of the Year
$11,000,000 Open Season
$7,750,000 Texas Chainsaw Massacre
$7,000,000 The Marine
$5,853,000 The Guardian
$5,600,000 Employee of the Month
$4,326,000 One Night with the King
$3,334,000 Jackass: Number Two

Grudge 2 looks to be a semi-bomb - the first pulled in a $39M opening weekend on its way to a $110M lifetime. 2 is well off that pace.

The Departed had only a -30.5% dropoff from its opening. It's up to just under $57M overall. It's going to need to keep those legs to get to $100M.

The box office for The Marine was pretty horrible. It's an improvement on Kane's movie, but that says literally nothing. It's like back in the day people getting excited over another 100 people getting cramed into the Bingo Hall.

The WWE needs to get out of this business. It's a waste of resources.

John
Fong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:

The box office for The Marine was pretty horrible. It's an improvement on Kane's movie, but that says literally nothing. It's like back in the day people getting excited over another 100 people getting cramed into the Bingo Hall.

The WWE needs to get out of this business. It's a waste of resources.

John

My fear is that the box office for The Marine will end up better than that of See No Evil. Whether it's one dollar or one million better, WWE can spin that as building momentum, thereby fooling themselves into thinking that the true main course, Steve Austin's movie, will actually do something that resembles legitimate box office business.

You're right - it's a money-losing venture on par with the XFL, and WWE would be well served to cut the cord as of this moment. But I have a feeling that Vince has convinced himself that he can promote and market a movie, with a superstar he created that he feels is an extension of himself, that will rival the box office of The Rock's movies.

34 million for Gridiron Gang? 28 million for Doom? Vince seems to believe that Austin can come close to those. And I wonder if the desire to stick it to Rock isn't one of the driving forces behind the movie division.

-HJF
DavidInNYC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fong wrote:
My fear is that the box office for The Marine will end up better than that of See No Evil. Whether it's one dollar or one million better, WWE can spin that as building momentum, thereby fooling themselves into thinking that the true main course, Steve Austin's movie, will actually do something that resembles legitimate box office business.

You're right - it's a money-losing venture on par with the XFL, and WWE would be well served to cut the cord as of this moment. But I have a feeling that Vince has convinced himself that he can promote and market a movie, with a superstar he created that he feels is an extension of himself, that will rival the box office of The Rock's movies.

34 million for Gridiron Gang? 28 million for Doom? Vince seems to believe that Austin can come close to those. And I wonder if the desire to stick it to Rock isn't one of the driving forces behind the movie division.

-HJF

If "The Marine" opens internationally, it could make money. Dumb action movies do a lot better overseas then here. A dumb action movie starring Stone Cold might do okay overseas as well.

Ultimately, the risks for getting into the movie business far outweighs any short term, but limited benefits.

DC Comics and Marvel Comics have recently gotten involved in this, making animated movies. But, they are going direct to video, are being based (DC's New Frontier and Marvel's Ultimates for example) on stories that were very popular. Not only do they have a core audience, but kids who may not read comics but love superheroes cartoons may want to get the movie.

That being said, I have no idea how many copies "Ultimate Avengers" sold and wasn't sucessful getting the answer from a google search. But, both companies have characters that have been in the public eye for decades. They don't have to worry about Batman getting too old to perform, whether or not Spider-Man is on drugs, or if Wolverine dying from a heart attack.

The WWE is taking people that play a character and asking their fans to accept them as another character in a new story. Like an SNL skit, what might make Austin funny in a four minute skit, doesn't necessarilly translate to a 2 hour movie.

If they could make a movie for about 5 - 10 million dollars and get a movie studio to distribute (as they did with "The Marine") they could make a profit doing this.

But, this isn't a trait of this company and that becomes extremely dangerous. I believe I read these movies are costing them 20 million dollars. If that's true, then they already are doing things incorrectly.

Why, before you know it, a son in law might decide that he should be in a movie too and the the next thing you know, your overpaying for the rights of some character like "Conan the Barbarian" to satisfy his massive ego. You'll have to really put some cash in marketing too. So instead of spending 5 - 10 million in hopes of making 15 - 30 million, these schmucks will be spending 50 million on an unmarketable wrestler who just happens to now be family.

Considering the damage he's already done to their product to get himself over as the greatest wrestler in history, there is just no way he's not going to want to be a movie star too.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the son in law begged off on doing his movie to let others go first and take all the risks. So far it looks like a smart move.

Aside from the question of profitability, these projects are embarrassing because they make WWE superstars look minor league compared to the guy who does those Madea movies. Is Tyler Perry an A-list celebrity?

Frank

(Even the Rock can't touch these numbers!)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the profits and losses of the movies, they allegedly are being made extremly cheaply. The Kane movie was bargin basement.

On the other hand, there are advertising costs. The Marine had a but of one as I saw ads outside of Raw. Also as pointed out above and in our prior discussion of Se No Evil, the WWE only gets a piece of the Gross after the theaters and distributor get their cuts. There also are other cost in the venture that relate to the simple continueing existance of WWE Films office.

I'm not going to say the WWE is losing money on the movie ventures. I haven't looked at the books in a little while, and given the costs being spread out over a long period, they're not the easiest to sift through.

My comment on the WWE getting out of the movie business doesn't really have to do with them potentially taking a massive XFL-like financial hit from it. They appear to be approaching this far more carefully on the financial side.

What the comment goes to is that I think they're wasting resources on something that isn't much of a business positive to the company, and that those resources could be better spent on other things.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked into the last 10 minutes of the movie last night. Fights & things blew up in a world of steriods & breast implants. I don't remember any dialogue. Looked like a well made bad movie that's only purpose was to make money from small minds...and didn't.--Yohe
chadlaca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On the profits and losses of the movies, they allegedly are being made extremly cheaply. The Kane movie was bargin basement."

As I understand it, "The Marine" cost in the $20 mil neighborhood. Throw in p&a costs and I don't see them making their money back on this one.

It'd be different if they had people co-financing, but to the best of my knowledge the film wasn't even pre-sold in foreign territories (not 100% about that).

Be interesting to see how long they're willing to bleed on this side venture. The next film up is Austin's. He at least has SOME name value outside wrestling's increasingly narrow fanbase. I think it's safe to say that the company will have greater expectations for that project and that the disappoint won't be so easily written off if it bombs similarly.
kjh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Austin's movie is a flop like The Marine they'll cut their losses and only make bargain basement TV specials for the USA network. If they were going to carry on regardless wouldn't they already be in the process of making their next movie?
Fong

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we head into its third weekend, Marine sits at 13.3 million. Its take during the week is down about 50% from last week. So if the weekend trend holds similar, it looks like the movie will limp to the 15M line by Monday. And somehow, I don't think FU'ing Kevin Federline is going to draw in any casual viewers, even if most of the WWE's target fanbase probably hates K-Fed.

Anyone have any idea when Linda McMahon's next quarterly business report is? I can't wait to hear this thing get spun.

-HJF
(not hitting the multiplexes until Borat comes out)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: