The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Borat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Borat Reply with quote

Funniest and best film this year. It exceeded my expectations, and now I understand the "Funniest Film this decade" accolades.

My favorite scenes were Borat in Atlanta with the streetgang and then going to the hotel there and talking like them.

The "wrestling scene" was very graphic but was pretty hilarious.

But what was a personal favorite of mine was the Laurel and Hardy homage in Hollywood. Very clever moment there.
Tomer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene with Borat's pet and the kids that come near the ice cream truck was classic as well. The Bed & Breakfast scene was awesome as well.

Either this film or Little Miss Sunshine is my #1 comedy pick for this year.

-Tomer
Fong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the drive home from the movie tonight, a few friends and I focused on the "statement" this movie was making about America, be it intentional or not (and I can't believe Sacha Baron Cohen would make this movie without realizing some of the sentiment that would be unearthed). But I almost don't want to think about that right now, because it was so damn funny.

The dinner party was hands-down the funniest scene for me. From the comment about the three women, to excusing himself, to the guest, it was just unbelievable. I'd need a good few months between viewings, so I don't know if this will be an instant DVD purchase. But at the same time, it's one of those movies that will generate guaranteed laughs and pull me out of a bad mood, so maybe.

-HJF
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon a read, this has some mild spoilage, so read carefully. . .

I finally got around to catching this last night and it was pretty hilarious. My only real complaint was it was a bit too short and rushed feeling, but that's not a biggie.

It may not be the funniest movie I've ever seen, but it's up there. Though much of the humor is racial based, from Borat's side it's so goofy and almost stupidly innocent (they don't fly because the Jews may decide to reinact their attacks of 9/11 or the Running of the Jew) that it's not that offensive. The only offensive people are the idiots Borat interviews. It's a difficult line to walk, but Cohen does of great job of treading it without just having to pull the "I'm a Jew, I own it" line. I thought the "national anthem" bit might be bit much from reading about it, but the way Borat did it (I sing national anthem of Kazahkstan to tune of your U, S and A national anthem) was hilarious and the fact the crowd totally missed that part made it all the more funny.

I wish they would've had some more of the crowd from the rodeo and their reaction. It caused quite a stir, as it made the news when it was filmed several months ago. Several rednecks from the crowd had to be restrained from jumping the rail and trying to get to Borat.

I agree with Fong, the dinner party had me rolling. It was classic Borat humor where you think he's done then he cranks another couple of punchlines out. I didn't think Borat could do a funnier dinner party than the estate dinner from the 1st U.S. Season of Ali G, but I was wrong.

As good as the dinner party was, the bed and breakfast scene might have been the best one in the movie. From Borat's face when he "finds out" the folks are Jewish (he has to be told, the yarmulke the guy is wearing doesn't clue him in) until the end, damn I'm still laughing.

-Chad
Wishes he was more than 1/16 Jewish so he could have shape-shifting powers
bobbarnett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw it in an empty theatre late last night.
The wrestling is one of the greatest scenes I've ever watched.
The editing is mind boggling.
Double snot +++++++
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Chad wrote:
It may not be the funniest movie I've ever seen, but it's up there. Though much of the humor is racial based, from Borat's side it's so goofy and almost stupidly innocent (they don't fly because the Jews may decide to reinact their attacks of 9/11 or the Running of the Jew) that it's not that offensive. The only offensive people are the idiots Borat interviews. It's a difficult line to walk, but Cohen does of great job of treading it without just having to pull the "I'm a Jew, I own it" line.

Just saw it with a Conservative Jew; he said some of it was funny and yet painful, as in "These are real people out there." He found the pentacostal meeting by far the most surreal: "Which is the bigger parody?"

As for my own opinion... hmm, let's just say that misanthropes shouldn't watch Borat and leave it at that.

Quote:
Wishes he was more than 1/16 Jewish so he could have shape-shifting powers

Heh. I'm something like 1/32nd or 1/64th via my most Eastern European connection. And I know they were playing characters in the movie, but I did appreciate the object lesson that their "bigotry" made them have to turn down food and leave a nice warm comfortable place in the middle of the night. I hope they paid well.

Lee, who also appreciated Oliver Hardy homage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: