The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michael Richards (Kramer) drops the N Bomb on hecklers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Michael Richards (Kramer) drops the N Bomb on hecklers Reply with quote

http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/20/kramers-racist-tirade-caught-on-tape/

This was quite shocking. I guess whatever little post-Seinfeld career he had is gone now.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/20/richards-im-really-busted-up/

Follow-up and apologies.

Based on that, its apprent that all is still not well regarding him.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd to say the least.

John
eron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Audience members in the Ed Sullivan Theater, who were watching Richards on a screen, began laughing at Richards at first, thinking that the interview was a comedy skit, until Seinfeld admonished them, saying, "Stop laughing. It's not funny."

They should have been laughing at his sad excuse for his behaviour.

Be nice to one day see a person who snaps in that sort of way just say, "Yeah, I'm a racist. I have been for years. I also hate mexicans. Don't like it? I don't care. Thanks for the royalty checks." What the hell does personal work mean?

Yes, Jerry. It's not funny.
DavidInNYC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, the video of the racist tirade featured an ad for a game for "Flushed Away."

How soon will booze be used as an excuse?
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/22/richards-rant-not-the-first-time/

Its getting worse and worse for Cosmo.

Then again, this shouldn't be that much of a shock. Michael Richards was the least ubitqous of the 4 main Seinfeld castmembers. The other 3 have been everywhere hawking whatever projects they were working on, and the other 3 all appeared on Curb, whereas Michael Richards didn't.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audience members initially thought Richards' racism was meant to be funny, you know, like "Borat."

Frank

"...what they've produced is a comedy that makes fun of Islam..."
- Driving instructor Michael Psenicska
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, that quote is from one of the Behars, the Jewish folks that own the bed and breakfast in the film, not the driving instructor.

Here's the whole quote from the article Frank linked: "He doesn't know exactly what he's produced, and I don't think the company knows what they've produced," Behar said, "because what they've produced is a comedy that makes fun of Islam and he's Jewish, you know."

And right before that from Behar in the article: "When asked what he would like to say to Cohen, Behar replied, "He made an extremely good movie. He's very polite. He's very nice. He's a genius.""

That article is also weird because it references some scenes being filmed in the Kazakh town of Glod. No scenes were filmed in Kazakhstan, the scenes in Borat's home village were filmed in Romania.

-Chad
Doesn't feel sorry for the dumbasses who signed the release without reading it just because Borat waved a few hundred bucks in front of them.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Chad wrote:
Frank, that quote is from one of the Behars, the Jewish folks that own the bed and breakfast in the film, not the driving instructor.

My mistake.

I think the fact that Cohen chose an Islamic culture as his personal "black face" for this satire is still pretty disturbing. Obviously Behar can't be dismissed simply as a critic who doesn't get it or someone with a personal beef against Cohen. Do you disagree with Behar that Cohen is making fun of Islam with his portrayal of Borat?

Did Cohen get away with it because he picked the right target for the times?

Frank
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I disagree with painting Borat with the broad-stroke that it "makes fun of Islam". The movie makes fun of everything, Islam, Judaism, Christianity (especially at the end, which I won't spoil, but it definitely is not a crack at Islam), America, Kazakhstan. . .. Also, there's very little, if any humor that pokes directly at Islam, in fact, I can't recall if Islam and Mohammed are even mentioned by name much, if at all, in the movie. And Borat isn't that bad of a guy when it comes down to it, even Behar who shared your concern touched on that in the article you linked.

I'm not going so far as some pundits who call Borat "brilliant political satire", and I didn't see it going as deep as some into the current state of the American culture, but it does give us snippets of various types of people. Borat's trying to make some comments about America, but I'm not 100% sure what they all are except we have a bunch of racist asses here. I'd need to watch it again to make sure I caught where everything was going. I was laughing so hard, I missed some bits of dialog.

The topics Borat touches on are controversial, but all in all, they are handled pretty well. This movie is going to offend people, but mainly the people that don't even want controversial subjects mentioned. It's not offensive per se and the way Borat usually backs into the punchlines is through his personal naivete or cultural bias. It's not just ISLAM #1, JEW, kwah-ptooie! I'd suggest you watch it then figure out for yourself if Islam is Borat's "personal blackface" instead of picking bits out of an article that is pretty flawed on its face.

-Chad
Tomer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, the original Kazakh religion in the movie was something with Hawk worship, if I remember correctly. Yes, Kazakhstan itself is Jewish, but the 'Kazakhstan' created by the TV series and film is supposed to be a satirical view of the 'backwards, crazy ex-Soviet third world' that is in the middle of the dark ages rather than anything close to the 21st century. With over-the-top scenes such citizens riding in donkey-drawn early Soviet-era cars, the 'Running of the Jew' and the 'day of many rapings', it's very hard to seriously believe that anything presented in the film really attacks Islam itself (or really even Kazakhstan, given that the actions and dialog presented in Kazakhstan are too hard to seriously believe, in this day and age, as being legitimately how they act), but rather tries to create contrasting worlds in order to create some semblance of a plot (the Kazakh government ordering Borat to make a film promoting the great traits of the U.S. to allow Kazakhstan to bloom and make it prosper in the modern era). I don't remember a single line or scene in the movie where Borat poked fun at Islam itself (in fact, all the religious-oriented material was involving Judaism and Christianity, as far as I remember). In fact, the closest he came to anything Muslim-related was his endorsing the 'killing of lots of Iraqis' by President Bush before singing the Kazakh national anthem.

In fact, I would suggest that the character of Borat himself is simply a bug zapper who presents clearly extreme attitudes and actions that, on the surface, should give an average person a "What the hell?!" look on his face and just move on (like a number of people on the street and subway at the beginning on the film). Of course, the most entertaining material of the film are the people either trying to convince Borat that his archaic beliefs should be changed in order to become more accepted in society as a whole (with little to no success, of course, besides the Pentecostal church scene) or to embrace his beliefs (most of which are presented clearly as being something out of the 5th Century A.D., at best).

-Tomer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: