The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 77, 78, 79  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AD ASTRA has major problems as a movie. Most of the people there would think I rated it too high. I saw the art in it, but we'll see how the general public likes it. Dan hated it & people, who actually were there, were falling asleep. It has pacing problems & it explains nothing, & really doesn't make a point about anything. ***1/2 is a good rating...I thought that would be ripped. It does have some really good thing in it. Like I said.

The alligator movie was about people getting eaten up....and wasn't about much....but it was really well made...for what it was. *** seemed safe. Because I did like it.

It's fair for you or anyone to say anything you want about my ratings. It's not fact....it just away for me to express how I feel...at the moment. Doesn't bother me...it's interesting.

I have championed many films that don't make money....and I've dumped on a ton of the blockbusters. Do it all the time.

I'm really interested in what others think of AD ASTRA & how it does. It's a movie I really was all in for. I'm a Brad Pitt fanboy.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just surprised. The review read that you liked it better than some other stuff you've rated in the range.

It happens. No big deal.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: With Hollywood Drowning in Junk; ReRelease "Patton" Reply with quote

I keep up with Steve's movie reviews because I find them more on-the-mark than what's available in my local daily newspapers. Nonetheless, there hasn't been a single movie released in the last year that has interested me enough to get me to buy a ticket to it.

Were I holding the theatrical rights to the 1970 masterpiece from 20th Century-Fox, "Patton," filmed in stupendous wide-stereo sound and the colossal 70 MM Dimension 150 process, which was designed for roadshow exhibition and then easily making 35 MM reduction prints for general release, I'd rerelease it promptly. Even in 35 MM, it is a film for the ages. Here's a link to best attempt to grasp what Dimension 150 looked like on a 148-degree curved screen when projected off of a 70 MM print.

The roughly one minute excerpt also contains a message for Emperors, monsters, Trumps, lunatic wrestling promoters named McMahon and all of us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPiH-LBna5I

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you see someone making PATTON today? It would be junk. The thing called "class" is gone.....it's a world in the "bush league". ---Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Could you see someone making PATTON today? It would be junk. The thing called "class" is gone.....it's a world in the "bush league". ---Yohe

Steve, perhaps you misunderstood what I was suggesting. I don't want to see a masterpiece reattempted by half-wit Hollywood. I am proposing re-releasing the 1970 original movie -- as it was initially released, off of new prints. It would be nice to see it re-released on film, but even a digital re-release would make the current product hide in shame under parked cars.

Next year will mark the 50th anniversary of the film's release, a grand reason to reissue it uncut. (Alas, I doubt any D-150 70 MM prints still exist, but 35 MM prints would do.)

Another brief clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRoMjoxK5v4

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:

It depends on how we define what makes Patton great.

If it's a war movie, then Dunkirk is actually a better shot war movie deal with a broader scope of characters rather than focusing on a Great Man.

If it's a movie about a Great Man, then Lincoln is a actually a better period piece about a Great Man. It deals with more important, deeper issues.

That's Nolan and Spielberg. There's no reason that at anypoint in the past decade that those two couldn't have made Patton if they cared to. Hell, Spielberg made an epic war movie.

Patton's great. But I suspect we can go back into the early 70s and find cranky old fucks like ourselves saying:

"They couldn't make a movie like Gone With The Wind these days. The movie business sucks."

And those bitter old fucks would have been wrong.

There are always screwed up things in the movie business. And things were always "better back in the day", whenever the Day was. But the reality is that there are great movies still being made, of all sorts of genres.

Franklin Schaffner was great. Papillon actually is a better movie than Patton. But could Schaffner have made Fury Road? Could he have made Birdman? The Revenant? Twelve Years A Slave? Arrival? Hell or High Water? BlacKkKlansman? Gravity? Life of Pi?

In turn, most of those directors couldn't have made Patton. Or would have made it very different.

Not a right or wrong there.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we don't want to talk about 2018's remake of BEN HUR. Just one example.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken I was reacting to the clip, not your post.

I would go see just about any of the old films in 70MM, but the projector are hard to find. They seem to be able to do 70MM at the Cinamadome on Sunset....but it would probably be in West LA.....and I'm not driving across town anymore. Even is the 1970's there was films shown in 70MM....but it was never billed as such....and it was always a surprise. I learned to tell the difference over time. Even in San Antonio, they would show up once in a while.--Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Guess we don't want to talk about 2018's remake of BEN HUR. Just one example.---Yohe

Of course we can talk about it. The director, from Kazakhstan, named, in an English translation, Timur Bekmambetov, has never had another movie or TV show or brand of blue jeans or canned tomato sauce, released in the United States, to my knowledge and according to the IMDB.

Given the choice of selling food from a pushcart on Hollywood Boulevard or remaining an imitation of whatever he's an imitation of, I'd bet he'd prefer to work the pushcart, but we should ask him before reaching a conclusion.

The idea someone could make a movie so awful he's not work for Hollywood halfwits again astonishes me.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:

Yohe will get no disagreement with his observation, which I absolutely agree with.

JDW posted:

It depends on how we define what makes Patton great.

If it's a war movie, then Dunkirk is actually a better shot war movie deal with a broader scope of characters rather than focusing on a Great Man.

If it's a movie about a Great Man, then Lincoln is a actually a better period piece about a Great Man. It deals with more important, deeper issues.

That's Nolan and Spielberg. There's no reason that at anypoint in the past decade that those two couldn't have made Patton if they cared to. Hell, Spielberg made an epic war movie...

You're pulling my leg? You're delegating your posting to a grandchild?

Neither Spielberg nor Nolan, in the best years of their lives, could duplicate the 1970 Frank McCarthy-Franklin Schaffner-Darryl Zanuck-produced, Schaffner-directed and co-written "Patton."

I won't try to make the case that Schaffner was Howard Hawks, but he gets into the ballpark with his best endeavors.

I suspect you're kidding me. Have you ever seen "Patton" on a huge screen projected from, at the minimum, a 35 MM FILM print...? Just a question.

I'm finding that some folks watch their movies on a telephone screen, as a few taxi drivers I've had the misfortune to get recently have been doing while driving, see things from a different viewpoint...

I've walked out on so much Spielberg slop that I stopped paying to see his works long ago (with the exception of works featuring Karen Allen and Harrison Ford). That billionaire proves, if you know how, you can sell shit to monkeys.

(Obviously, the latest "Ben Hur" was not marketed to the right apes.)

He shot about 30 seconds of "Close Encounters," one of the worst films I've ever sat through as an adult, in Super Panavison, apparently in order to get the opportunity to advertise the entire film as being in that 70 MM process, in its initial release.

I ran across, I believe, the 89-year-old Stephen Sondheim in a local diner recently because Spielberg is remaking "West Side Story" and was shooting in Manhattan. I had met the guy about 50 years ago so he couldn't have remembered me (I walked out on the first movie-version of that awful musical over half-a-century ago, even though it was being shown in Super Panavision 70 and I'd paid roadshow prices for the ticket) and wasn't sure it was him. So I looked in again after I'd left the restaurant. He noticed and waved... I guess he mistook me for someone else.

Spielberg should run for governor of California the next time around.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Ken I was reacting to the clip, not your post.

I would go see just about any of the old films in 70MM, but the projector are hard to find. They seem to be able to do 70MM at the Cinamadome on Sunset....but it would probably be in West LA.....and I'm not driving across town anymore. Even is the 1970's there was films shown in 70MM....but it was never billed as such....and it was always a surprise. I learned to tell the difference over time. Even in San Antonio, they would show up once in a while.--Yohe

Steve,

I'm going to share a semi-secret known to owners/operators of Cinerama-screen, Dimension 150-screen theaters, most Todd-AO 65 theaters and some filmmakers of yore.

There wasn't a practical way, or at least one that was ever used, to project a 35 MM print onto a deeply-curved screen and have it appear in-focus. Such a print will appear very fuzzy and fouled up. Apparently it can't be done. What the Cinerama Dome did do over the decades -- at least whenever I was in Los Angeles, and the various Cinerama theater-operators did in New York City mostly did, was to order 70 MM blowup prints of 35 MM films, whenever they had no 70 MM-filmed movies to exhibit.

I recall one time in Los Angeles, I went to the Cinerama Dome to see "Deliverance," which I already knew was being shown using a 70 MM blowup print (cost them an extra out-of-pocket ten grand for the print). The film was in adequately clear focus -- not what I'd prefer, but adequte -- and the theater owner asked for a stereo soundtrack with their custom-made print.

The distributor put a few minutes of cricket sounds -- vanilla sound-effect crickets -- on the rear soundtrack channel(s) of the print. They were annoying coming from the rear of the theater (back in the days when it was a larger house) and ridiculous. Damn fine movie. I'm glad I went while in L.A.

This problem was one more nail in the coffin of Cinerama-type screens and 70 MM movies designed for deeply-curved screens.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler Alert

RAMBO 5: LAST BLOOD isn't a terrible movie. It's coherent and the violence looks good. What's wrong is the plot. It's simple junk we have seen a ton of times. It's really a Lian Neeson film. His niece (daughter) goes to Mexico, Rambo follows & kills Mexican banditos to almost save girl, they follow him back to his farm, Rambo slaughters all of them. That's it....that's the movie. The bad guys have no chance. It's more violence & mutilation...than good action. ** 2/3. Best thing is Stallone as Rambo. He is a better actor that people think....but he is limited & it's best to not let him talk much & keep the character stupid. He can be good playing that part. I liked Rambo 4....liked the ending with Rambo going home....like the other characters who think that the monster Rambo is a shithead. I thought it was a pretty good action movie & that's why I went today. But the ending to poor Rambo in this....is just sad. Disappointing finish to the character. Sly isn't shown dying, but it give the impression. You know if it made money, they'll do another. Man it would be cool seeing Rambo in his 80"s.

Funny the studio had no faith in the film & Rambo has made ton of money in the past. Why make it if it has no plot & then just dump it. Fake it like it's Ben Hur & get some money out of it. It's been recut 3 or 4 times....and 20 minute or more has been cut out.

I liked the opening with Sly working with horses & cleaning the barn. I would have made it a small movie, without the Mexican Army, and just do some minor action stuff with Rambo. Make it kind of funny & warm. Shows his problems of living with normal people.

Funny after all these years, it seems Rambo was Mexican! Yeah! His loving family is Mexican. Maybe he married into the family, but then why did he go home there in movie #4. (Why didn't he go there before the first movie, instead of walking around the North-West being mis-understood?) I think Sly is the only white actor in the movie. Cool, jobs for Mexicans. --- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch DOWNTON ABBEY on TV, but after they turned it into a film I figured I'd go just to understand why it so popular. I liked it, but it's a good thing GOSFARD PARK is one of my favorite films, because I needed that to help we understand all the relationships. It's well acted & well made. It was basically two hours of talk but enjoyed all of it....but the gay stuff. At first, I was put off by the style of a TV show & the optimistic feel of it. Everyone seems to happy with their positions in life. Because the plot was new, I spent my time figuring out who everyone was to everyone else. By the end I respected it, and enjoyed it. ***1/2 I've been reading a lot of English history lately, and from that I think it's one of the most violent & backstabbing places in the world. This film skips over all of that. England on it's best behavior.

Watched a movie from 1942 called IN THIS OUR LIFE. It was John Huston's 2nd film and, in my opinion, one of the best Bette Davis performances. About a messed up family in the South with everyone having a different personality, and problems. George Brent, one of my favorite actors, is great in one of his best parts, and Olivia de Havilland turns in her normal great job as the good sister to bad sister Bette. Davis is fantastic as the spoiled pretty girl who steals everyone's boyfriend, and uses everyone to get what she wants. She runs away & marries Olivia's guy and marries him and he kills himself after Bette works him over. She flirts with her rich old uncle & he gives her money & cars. She try's to steal Brent from Olivia, but fails. She stinks as a driver and in one of her rants runs over a mother and a baby....and kills the kid. She then blames the murder on a black law student working for Brent. It's plain to see she did it, but the police were more that willing to believe the poor black was guilty. He is settling in to accept his fate....because everyone know a back guys can't win against a rich white Bette Davis. But Olivia and Brent figure everything out, and turn her into the police. Bette breaks loose and goes to the rich old super old uncle.....crying for help....but he wasn't responding well....so she then offers to fuck her uncle ....but he isn't up to it because his doctor just told him he was going to die....Bette goes nuts, yelling at the old fart that he was selfish for dying just when she need him...again. She run in another rant in her car....with the police following her....her driving once again fails her & she flys off a clift...and this time she kills herself. Really Bette is great. In real life, she not a great looker for a movie star, but she is really sexy playing a spoiled young girl. Very pretty. I do believe she is one of great actors, and stars. Beats the shit out of Joan Crawford. Reading this sounds stupid. But the John Huston film does takes on some strong black issues & does it well for a 1942 film. Of course all of that had to be cut when it played in the South. And incest too...which the Southerners were used to....you can't beat it. **** Really!---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOKER is no fucking joke. It's depressing, psycho, and very upsetting in a 100 ways....and brilliant. I remember my few satisfying great moments in a movie theater over 70 years, and this was one of them today. Not one frame of this film could be better. **** 2/5. This one man show reserves Joaquin Phoenix's place with the best film actors. It's been said that no one could surpass Heath Ledger.....but this Joker just did. It's not a comic book movie....at least not like any ever made before this. It's almost impossible that DC, after making so much crap, could come up with an art film like this. It has less to do with any Batmen film, and really is related to TAXI DRIVER & THE KING OF COMEDY. There is a reason for De Niro being in the film. Besides all the comic book junk, and this really add a lot to the Batman story, it makes you feel what mental illness is truly like to people. Serious stuff. It really gets inside the joker.

This is a powerful piece of art, and dangerous in many ways. The effect on weak mush, brain teenagers and redneck, racist, shit heads is chilling. Some violent is going to be a result of this movie. With Trump about to be kicked out of office, it might set something off. Look for clown masks in our future.

This is not a billion dollar movie. It's a major art movie. I think they'll be a lot of people not understanding & hating it. Who knows? It's one of the great film & will be ranked high.....but I could never take a kid to see it.

I see Joquin Phoenix getting the Oscar for acting, & nominated for everything.....or if it bombs...nothing.

I would kiss a duck, to see a Batman movie made & written by the same people. In a real world, Batman is as sick as the Joker. The two are joined.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing it, so I'm doing to say it again, because I hate hearing it. The ending to the end of season 8 of GAME OF THRONES was perfect. No other ending would have been as creditable or as good. ---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 78 of 79

Jump to: