The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife forced me to see THE ADDAMS FAMILY. I thought it was Ok. Had a few good things. **3/4 ---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought TERMINATOR: DARK FATE was watchable but also weak. Cameron help by switching somethings that weren't explainable. It's a reboot starting after #2. All the tough women running around got on my nerves. When Arnold shows up, I was happy to see him. He in fact steals the movie. When he can move the women out of the way. **3/4 The action has pacing problems. Hard to figure out who is getting killed. I was happy with TERINATOR: SALVATION with Bale & Worthington. I think there has been two Terminators films worst that this. If I right that this is #6....on the list it would be the #4 in ranking. I wasn't pulling my hair out on this one. But I don't need another one. Arnold can just file for Social Security like all us old farts. --Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in this movie, like Rambo & Yohe, The Terminator has a Mexican family. Maybe it's tribute to his old housekeeper. ---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEETT SMELL OF SUCCESS (1957) I wrote about before, and all I can remember is I thought it was great & I have the DVD & have seen it a lot. It played this week end on Noir Alley on TCM this last weekend. I taped it. Didn't really want to watch it tonight, but I love Eddie Muller who is great doing the lead in set ups of films. Once I started, I couldn't stop watching. Saw stuff in it, that I missed before. I think the SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS is one of the greatest movies ever made. Everyone involved was never better. Burt Lancaster (my favorite actor) & Tony Curtis are at there best. The direction (Alexander Mackendrick), Writing (Clifford Odets & Ernest Lehman ), Music (Elmer Bernstein), photography (James Wong Howe), sets, & sound are perfect. It's a perfect film.

Lancaster delivers some of the most burial, vicious, clever lines in film history, and music is powerful & gives NYC an immoral feel unrivaled in any other film. Yet the movie does know what is moral & what isn't.

Maybe I've said all of this before.

I believe I've only seen this on TV or DVD. I think it would just crazy powerful on the scene in a theater. I was just so impressed with it tonight.

And it was on of those movies that was a box-office bomb.

In doing wrestling history, I've come to the believe that the worst immoral wrestling promoters came & lived in NYC. It was the home of Toots Mondt, Pfefer, etc. The town destroyed the sport in the 1930's. Seems there was a number of creeps like this J. J. Hunsecker (Walter Winchell). I think Don Trump is just one of a long line of creepy con men that lived off the city. -- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Spoilers--Couldn't help myself.

I don't care about Stephen King movies. Of the million made, I like maybe two. I've never been a fan of THE SHINING. I agree with King that Stanley Kubrick's film has great visuals, but it lacks substance .like "A fancy car without a engine". I do see it as a major film for Jack Nicholson & Shelley Duvall, and that in film culture, it is one of the classic films. I've watched maybe 20 times, some in theaters & I have the DVD . because I think there is something wrong with me. I think the problem is I don't get scared at horror films.

DOCTOR SLEEP in a continuation of the story of the boy. Thought the first 70% of the film was very good. Liked the part where he become a orderly at a nursing home, helping people die. Liked the cat. As a nurse it was BS, but I liked it. I was thinking the film was different & I couldn't tell where it was going. The last 30%, misses that idea up. Actually I enjoyed it & think it's a pretty good movie. Interesting & fans of THE SHINING should enjoy it. But the ending you see coming & the film kind of falls apart. I would give it *** 1/3, after thinking it would go higher.

The acting is good. I see Ewan McGregor as a very workable actor. He doesn't have that star thing but he is close & I like him. You could fit him into anything & he's never bad. At one point he was on the list to play James Bond (stupid idea).

The little girl with powers, is very good at first, but the ending has her doing some stuff she couldn't pull off. She is black so she'll probably end up a big star over the next 15 years. I did like her.

The lead heel is a beautiful woman who sucks life out of children, while leading a group of other "vampire like" life suckers. To me, she just pops off the screen. Like a major star. Thru the watching, I kept thinking " I know her...who is that actress?" I knew she was famous, maybe off of TV or something. In the credits, I found out it was Rebecca Ferguson, the actress from MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. No wonder I had that reaction, for some reason, I'm crazy about the actress. I'd pay to her in anything. Seems like she is my favorite actress, and I don't usually have feelings about women in movies. I think she is a major star . at least in the marking.... if she can get out of horror films. Anyway I think she is the weakness to the movie . even while stealing every scene. She didn't give out that weird or creepy feeling the character needed. You were supposed to be afraid of her. She was so beautiful I wanted her to suck the life out of me. I love watching her, but it's not good for the movie.

The characters played by Scatman Crothers, Shelley Duvall, and Jack Nicholson play small parts in the movie. Having Jack pop up is a major part of the film. It should have been it's biggest moment. If it was going to be remembered it would be because of that scene. I don't think that comes across. Doesn't work. Jack is played by well known Henry Thomas of ET. He does have the look, but the voice isn't there. It needed a Nicholson voice over. I know Jack is old & retired.... but you can't use that character without Jack or at least the voice. It one of the greatest voices in movie history & a million people have imitated it. Get someone who can do the voice. It's supposed to be a true horror scene, but at the moment....everyone . is thinking WHERE IS JACK? (Hope Jack health is Ok. I remember him at least one Laker game last year.)

The hotel comes in at the end, like the last 20 minutes. Looks the same, but doesn't have that Kubrick feel or skill. There also is a twist to the story, I didn't like & didn't work.

This is a interesting film. Just isn't near being a classic .. and will be forgotten in three 3 years.

McGregor will probably be returning to Obi-Wan Kenobi soon. ---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Login test post for Steve.

-jdw
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Login test post for Steve.

-jdw

Here's a request for the promotion of Steve to Chief Movie Critic of the Post-Film Era of Movies on The Other Arena. (I suspect he's already got that job for the film-era.) His salary would of course have to be doubled.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm back. Thanks John. Don't worry I'll work for the same price. --- Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked FORD V FERRARI a lot. A racing buddy movie centered on Matt Damon & Christian Bale. It's fun and it also works as an adult drama. Felt like a movie from the 70's. *** 3/4 Damon's career is becoming something special, just rowing out one good movie after another. Music was perfect for racing.

Of course, with Steve McQueen's LE MANS out there it has a lot to live up to on the subject. --- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought MIDWAY was going to be a CG mess like PEAL HARBOR in 2001, and it is.... but it's far from being that bad. It does attempts to use CG to give the film a factual feel, and I would say it's at least a good try. It does try to do too much & covers too much historical ground. CG has come a long way, but it still has problem in getting true drama over. The only real bad CG, is the airplanes flying around. I think spaceships are easier to do that WWII fighter planes. The acting is functional, with Dennis Quaid stealing most of it. In creating what veterans went thru during those times, I think it does Ok. I would give it ** 2/3. I give it credit for being a nice try, but it doesn't rank with Chuck Heston's MIDWAY, which I liked.

I went because I wanted to see the leading man, Ed Skrein. He played the first Daario Naharis in GAME OF THRONES, and was, in fact, the first & maybe the only actor to walk away from the show. I liked him a lot & that character. He is a up & coming leading man actor & is getting a lot of parts. I thought he was bad in this movie. Plays a over the top hero.... & it's the worst part of the movie. Maybe it's the writer's fault, but he is bad. Hurts the film. Skrein looks great, but he is going to have to mature as a actor, if he wants to be a real star. He gets sword parts, so I'll be following him. --- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a big effort to go see The Irishman in a real theater yesterday. There is no place close to me, and I'm not driving across Los Angeles to the West side. 40% of those theaters serve a fucked up dinner in the deal. And bid fucking chairs, I never needed.

If Netflix is going to be making the best films every year, for arts sake, they need to make them available for people in normal theaters. Movies are made for theaters. Both sides need to get over this fight. It's bullshit.

Also the culture is now trying to over price films like they did with baseball & other sports events. The rich own everything. I can't afford the parking at Dodger or Laker games, much less than going inside.

I didn't retire the bosses retired me. Now I'm forced to stay home & watch the stupid TV. At this rate, I can't afford to live a long time. At some point I'll have to sell the house & move to some fucked up place in Oklahoma or find a spot on the streets. --- Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Damon's career is becoming something special, just rowing out one good movie after another.

I think this is the first good thing he's done since The Martian, which was four years ago. Even the Bourne movie was a letdown compared to the first three. He kind of took a year off. He's got a couple of potential major movies in the pipeline, one with Tom McCarthy (first major thing since Spotlight) and one with Ridley Scott and Ben Affleck that Steve will pop for.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rating of AD ASTRA (***1/4) would get ripped by most of the smart movie people. Respectable people. I think the review is Ok. There was major problems with the film. --- Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think THE IRISHMAN is a classic movie or the best film of 2019. It is important because of the director & actors. It might be seen as the end of a era of a type of film making. But it's a ego trip, that needed some control. Still you have to give it ***7/8. It's 3 1/3 hours long. If you weren't really into the film, it really drags at the end. A lot of people are going to over rate it, because off it's film history, and the actors..... who are all coming to the end of their careers. The acting is first class. Is Pacino over the top? Yeah. (Nicholson played a better Hoffa) It's funny that the only way they could get Pesci to be in the film is to give him a part unlike any he has ever had. He is the reserved, nice guy boss, who has morals & is smart enough to never really make a mistake. He is under control, acting wise, in every scene. Really steals the movie.

It's a film about scumbag Mafia creeps who really have too much power considering how small time they really are. They were fuck ups. Scorsese looks the culture & give the bunch too much sympathy & importance. He shows them as they were but at the same time idolizes them. Takes away their B.O. I can't get emotional over the characters or give their death any importance.

It doesn't seem as smart as Scorsese's other crime films.

I think this love of Jimmy Hoffa's death, seems to be a East Coast thing. I don't care about where they stashed the body. It's BS.

The movie needs editing or better yet a rewriting.... because of pacing. This 175 million dollar film couldn't have been made without Netflixs. It should have been a Netflix series or HBO. I think Scorsese wanted the tradition structure of a real movie, but he forgot about the discipline that comes with a film.

Harvey Keitel's part should have been more important. He was Scorsese's first leading man. How did they keep Ray Liotta out of the movie?

Still I know it's a film everyone needs to see. It's kind of historic film. John will say he loves it . maybe. Everyone will get Oscar nominations. Who could say no to De Niro? Pesci might win best supporting. I'll be looking for something else to vote for. --- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KNIVES OUT didn't work for me. It's just a standard murder mystery with a great cast & a big budget. I was very disappointed. Daniel Craig try's hard but I don't think he puts off the detective part, which is always the center of this type of film. I think the problem is you don't know if he is the hero genius or the fool, until the end. Not clear. But most of all, the ending doesn't work. I think Chris Evans is bad. They should have given that part to a young Don Johnson. Evans needs to realize he is a star & not a character actor, and the film fans will only accept him as the lead hero. The actors are interesting, because there are so many stars, but the writing doesn't help them much. *** & is forgettable. Once again, Evans & Craig shouldn't be giving up their Captain America & Bond roles. It's a mistake. John this may be your type of movie. As Yohe likes sword stuff Williams likes mysteries. --- Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 79 of 80

Jump to: