The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. It's not a movie about Fred Rogers as it is about the effect Rogers has on people.

The stuff with the Esquire journalist never happened in real life, but that wasn't really the point. It was that anybody who was assuming Rogers was just playing a character found out that Rogers was being who he was and why he acted that way.

It stays true to who Rogers was, though -- he never assumed himself to be a hero, just somebody who wanted to do his best.

Tom Hanks did a good job with the role. They shot the movie like you were watching a movie-length episode of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, which was a nice touch.

Again, don't go if you're expecting a movie solely about Mr. Rogers. It's not simply about him.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched very little of the Fred Rogers TV show, and what I did watch I turned off as soon as possible. Saw him on talk shows & he seemed Ok as a person. Really I knew nothing about him. Still don't. A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHORHOOD was the second movie I saw yesterday. It was a Tom Hanks movie, so I was going to see it. After a couple of minutes, I was like "Oh shit" & I had to force myself to stay for the first 30 minutes. But it got very interesting & I got into it. I think there was a lot to learn from Mr Rogers. Hints at ways to be a better person. I left thinking I'd change a few things. So it's a good movie, like ***1/2. Kind of a rare experience. He would drive me nuts in real life.

21BRIDGES was a Ok action film. Acting good & made well. Interesting but the plot is given away by having J. K. Simmons playing what seems like a minor part. I think the ending is unbelievable & hurts any good feelings I had about it. **2/3. This seem to have been a major move for Chadwick Boseman, who seemed to a candidate for the old Sidney Poitier spot as a serious black actor, but now is looking to be a action star. This seemed to be his chance to carry a movie, without Marvel, & get a producer credit. The movie's release changed a few times, so it looked like the studio didn't have faith in it. I don't think the movie hurt Chadwick, but he wasn't a black Steve McQueen. --- Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Death of Stalin was released two years ago and I finally got around to seeing it. Written and directed by Armando Iannucci, famous in certain political circles for creating The Thick of It (in the UK) and Veep (in the US). This is in the same style, and similar to In the Loop, the movie spin off of The Thick of It.

This plays with reality, and it helps to know a number of the players beyond just Khrushchev and Beria.

It's funny as all shit. Typically witty and brutal writing by Iannucci, with all the usual back stabbing and double dealing. It plays fast and loose with events, and condenses a stuff spread out over a longer timeline into a narrow one, yet a hell of a lot of it is fact based and "feels right" both in terms of those facts but also in terms of telling a story. It's amazing is that it's just 107 minutes long, yet crams a ton into it. On some level it's one of the things Iannucci has been great on, going back to The Thick of It being just 30 minute long episodes but jammed back with loads of plotting twists but tightly edited together.

The cast is great, clearly enjoying eating up the screen with Iannucci words. Buscemi is Buscemi, and wonderful as Khrushchev. Simon Russell Beale is off the charts as Beria and should have gotten nominated.

I highly recommend it. One of the funniest movies I've seen in years.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars 9 on Thursday. I've got my ticket. It will be interesting to see how it recovers from the mess made in #8. ---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(This is my review fron Star Wars 9. I also posted this in the SW section, but I want it here with the rest of my great reviews. My ego demands it. If there are SPOILERS here it's general stuff without any details . but you should see the movie first.)

I just got back from THE RISE OF SKYWALKER. Seems the film was nothing like what was planed in the beginning, because of Rian Johnson screwing up #8 THE LAST JEDI . Johnson being a asshole, got director Colin Trevorrow to quit because he had to change everything planed for #9. They asked fuckface Johnson to return for #9, because they thought maybe he had an idea of doing one after he had fucking everything up. But he had nothing, and refused.

So they went back to J.J. Abrams, who is great at making this type of movie. The problem is the whole new plot that is created to fix the mess from LAST JEDI. It seems forced, in many ways, & contrived to get the story back to a real Star Wars movie. It has pacing problems & the action is crammed together, so a lot of the action doesn't work. Too long. But I think Abrams does a great job fixing all the problems made because of LAST JEDI. I think it works ok.

So the bad Jedi stuff is forgotten. Hamill is more like the real hero Skywalker. Daisy Ridley seems to have lost weight & is better, Rey does have a family & it was a big moment in the story, Driver's character has been fixed, and the new bad guy is the old bad guy... Palpatine. I think Abrams makes it work. I'm giving this ***1/3. But my view may change, because the first time I see a big movie, I spend my time thinking about the making & writing & choices . instead of just watching the movie.

Everything I said they would have to fix....they fixed. Other wise, they couldn't do the movie. All the changes by asshole Johnson was just ego. A lot of bad reviews will come from people who liked the stupid shit in LAST JEDI.

They do a great job with Carrie Fisher & it's not really CG. Clever SF. Best acting she had done in years.

They throw everything at this movie. Even a Hobbit. And those stupid little hairy midget things from The Return of The Jedi.

This may be a box office disappointment. But there is nothing else out this X-mass. Disappointment may mean just a billion. They need less in the next one with a smaller budget. More like SOLO. ----- Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagreed that they did much of anything to fix things from Jedi. Shit... they look at what they did with the three sets of heels from the first two movies in this one: Ren, the First Order and Snoke. They turned what all three of them did in the first two movies to be utterly meaningless to put over the fucking Emperor. Granted Snoke was dead, but they weakened him even more in this. Granted what happened to Ren in this one was roughly a 67% chance (if not 100%) of what was the plan for him from the start, this movie obvious lessened the heel aspect of him in the first two movies. And while the First Order were always a bit of a joke, the revelations about the fucking Emperor render their whole presence in the first two movies to be meaningless red shirt heels.

Abrams has long been a creatively bankrupt director-writer. His sole skill is in launching fan-service movies. It's why he did well with the first Star Trek reboot, and why he did well with Force Awakens. There wasn't much hard with them - just rip off the originals, update them moderately to be modern, do all the stuff that makes fans happy/nostalgic, and do a few "twists" and "shocks" that really aren't terribly twisty or shocky when one thinks much about them. Where he is really bad is in his second movies in those universes where he hasn't got shit fresh in his mind to do. In the second Trek movie, he goes to Khan like a fanboy who can come up with something new so he'll play with everyone's favorite heel in a "twisty" fashion. In this one, it's the Emperor because he hasn't got anything fresh in his mind. This is so far from JJ makes it work that it's not even funny. It is a massively flawed movie.

Setting all of that aside, this wasn't the Godfather 3 that I expected.

It is long as Steve says, and even at that length feels like it has another hour of exposition that was cut out of the movie because they realized (i) it was already would be really too fucking long with another hour, (ii) all that exposition wouldn't make a bit of fucking sense if they explained stuff, so (iii) fucking... let's just believe the fans won't think too hard and ask too many questions about it. So as I watched it, while I knew that it wasn't short, it actually moved along pretty fast given my brain kept going "Hmmm... wonder how X showed back up" and rather than spending some time explaining, they just skipped right on.

I think the non-Emperor stuff was largely okay-to-decent, and not as clunky as I expected. The turn was built up reasonably well, with a reasonably decent ultimate payoff. The use of Fisher is good, though they really had to bust their asses off to make it work / work around bits and pieces they had in the can. The other cameos, both the expected and the unexpected, range from well done to extremely well done. Those are fan service things, which are in JJ's wheelhouse and don't take any creativity, so it's something that he can do. The coda is a nice moment. Uhhh...

It's watchable. It's not Godfather 3. It's wildly flawed, not creative at all, derivative of the entire series (including Last Jedi), and doesn't challenge the viewer a single bit. But it's watchable, and delivers a decent amount of fan service.

Three other notes:

#1 - the crowd was up for it when the crawl and Williams music opened the movie. The crowd was stunningly non-responsive for almost all of the rest of the movie. This is a 10:15pm start time on a Thursday night (which actually starts closer to 10:40pm after something like 10 fucking trailers)... so these are real fans of the series. Yet they're not clapping like I've seen at earlier showings of Force and Last Jedi. I, sitting there thinking I'm watching a flawed non-creative movie and wondering if I hate JJ or are simply annoyed by what a jobber movie maker he can be, clapped more times than anyone in the fully packed theater... and my claps where exactly firing up a round of claps. Seriously... Lando shows up, he's been in the trailers so people know he shows up at some point, he shows up in a reveal fashion... come on people, give Billy D a freaking clap! Didn't happen. It wasn't like the spot was late in the movie either. The surprise cameo of the movie, which came later, should have had the crowd losing their shit with a big round... and it was light. I was stunned.

#2 - When you look at these three movies, which really weren't hard to make (and look... JJ made a good one in SW7!), it reminds you just how off the charts the Russo Brothers and Markus & McFeely and Feige were in landing the climatic trio of MCU Cycle: Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame. Nailing and landing those three MCU movies was vastly harder than nailing and landing their three SW movies. They had to play off 12 movies that came before Civil War, 7 that came in between them, introduce two new major characters to the MCU in the middle of Civil War (Spidey and Black Panther) which they did perfectly without taking away from the larger Civil War story, had to create the biggest-movie-of-all-time up to that point where the Lead was The Heel who amazingly WON in the movie to utter devastation... and then had to resolve that devastation in the final movie. What the MCU accomplished, and specifically those five people named above is amazing. And that's not even touching on that one of their other movies in the cycle is probably the best MCU movie - Winter Soldier.

#3 - I hate the fucking Emperor. I've hated him since how he was used in Return of the Jedi. I hated how the character was written and used in the prequels. I hated when it was intentionally leaked out he would return here. I hated every thing he was involved in the movie, and it was far worse than I thought it would be. The thing Yohe non-spoilers above... I fucking hated that, and it was seriously just a jerking off moment by Star Wars Creative that yet again was utterly derivative of prior moments in the series but was just flat here. Yohe knows far way back how much I hate the Emperor, and how I would have totally booked the prequels differently (good lord I wish I'd recorded that call, as I was on like a 2-3 hour role back when I was creative with this stuff). Good did I hate they brought him back and couldn't come up with something fresh to be the Big Baddie. Worse, if you pay attention closely, JJ pretty much gets across in his confused writing that Luke and The Princess knew about The Return of Palpy well over a decade ago. For fucks sake... The Emperor has ruined every good / interesting character in this series, going back to when he turned one of the greatest heels in movie history (Vader in SW and Empire) into a total fucking ham & egger jobber in the RotJ. Wait... it's better... Vader's great redeeming moment of his life? You know the moment... this one:

Vader redeems himself by tossing the Emperor to his death, sacrificing his life to safe his son's. JJ takes out his non-creative johnson in this movie and pisses all over it because the Emperor is back with not a bit of explanation. Right?

Fucking Emperor... he just fucks up everything.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read about the latest incarnation of what used to be "Star Wars," there's only one thing that will save future versions... And that is for Disney to hire Roseanne Barr to write and direct the next one. I'm not kidding; she may be vulgar, a Trumpista (or not; I lost track), foul-mouthed, nuts, old, fat and on her tenth cosmetic surgery. But so what if she can fix the series of Star War-sequel disasters.

Crowds attending shows of the latest incarnation of the movie need to start chanting "Roseanne, Roseanne, Roseanne" from the moment the commercials and trailers hit the screen, about an hour before the actual movie begins.

Not kidding.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They never develop the newest characters like Lucas did in the first two movies. They were made up to fit what they thought the audience wanted. The interplay between all the secondary characters seems force & the fans didn't clap.....because they didn't get any real emotion.

It did seem like a movie cut badly. The pace felt like it was 2 1/2 hours of battles. Films need pacing. Slow it down, then speed it up. Down make so many quick cuts. What they did was just throw things at you.

They created new characters & didn't used ones made up in the last movie. How many robots did we need. I lost track of all the light sabers. They gave Rey powers never seen in a Jedi in another movie, because they needed them for the ending. It seem like there were no rules they had to stick to. Everyone came back from the dead. Why didn't Captain Marvel come flying in to save everyone at the end. It was just a bag comic.

I though Driver gave a good performance, that made you forget the wimp jerk from the last movie. The stuff with Rey kind of worked for me, but the ending . I don't know.

It was the 2nd level stars that got created & a ton of stuff was made up to just let them get their spots in. It felt rushed & didn't work.

The stuff about killing the Emperor making you the Emperor is so much shit. It goes back to the crap in THE RETURN OF THE JEDI, where Luke's hate will turn him into the bad guy. It is so much shit, Jedi's are mass murders. They got there little swords & they kill people. So Rey just stands there knowing she become bad if she does . or if she doesn't. So as she stands thinking & trying to make a decision (like my wife never being able to decide where we are going to eat), I'm thinking....come on Driver I'm getting bored with this. Then it goes back & forth. Until it's over. Seems like I had seen it all before, but it was shorter.

But it couldn't flow, because #8 forces them to start over and to just do things to cover the mistakes of #8.

The critics are after this movie. Once it starts, they all jump on board. They jump on GAME OF THRONES & were wrong. It all starts if something happens in production & they jump on it. No one wants to be the guy standing alone. All the SW movies & the Marvel stuff are just comic book crap made up for the mass audiences. People grow up and stop reading comics. It's going to happen.

So it's a movie with problems, but all of them had problems. People just didn't want to see them. I remember #4 with John, and we were having so much fun dumping on it, that the crowd was about to lynch us. #3 was one of the biggest disappointments of my movie life, after the promise of #2. I like sword fights & space ships flying around, but there wasn't much there. #3 stuck so bad that Lucas didn't make another for years. I think we forget they were kid's movies.

In my eyes this movie makes #8 seem better. It did do that. Made 8 seem like it lead to something. I don't know. I think everyone is happy it's over, and they at least got a movie done. It wasn't too terrible. They can pretend everything is cool & their reputations are safe. Now they can go on vacation & think about making a real movie.

And Disney dumps Star Wars to TV to get their new channel rolling. --- Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
They never develop the newest characters like Lucas did in the first two movies. They were made up to fit what they thought the audience wanted. The interplay between all the secondary characters seems force & the fans didn't clap.....because they didn't get any real emotion.

Not sure if I agree with the first part of this.

I think Rey developed in the first two of this at pretty much the same level as Luke did in the first two of the original. Likely more so, as Yoda was more straight forward in what he was doing for Luke compared to what Luke was doing for Rey. Meaning, Rey had to figure out more in how own mind, i.e. she *developed* more than Luke did in the first two movies. Frankly, Luke was a pretty cardboard young hero in Star Wars and Empire. We cut him slack because those were epic movies and we were young(er) fanboys. But... shit... I've read dozens of better developed young heros than Luke was.

I think Finn developed more than... well... heck, there wasn't anyone in the original trilogy like Finn. He on the bad side, quits, feels like he's a coward, just wants to get as far away from the war as possible, and is a radically different person by the end of Last Jedi. He's not a super duper hero, but he's clearly changed to move towards being a hero. He's also developed a friendship / relationship with someone other than Rey. He's a fuller character. I'm not going to say he's a great character, because that just isn't what these three new movies are about. But he's moved forward.

With Poe... I think they were trying in the second movie to advance him from where he was in the first movie as just a space jockey. They really focused on Leia trying to mentor him. I'm going to be totally honest - I don't think a lot of that worked very well. It was some of the weaker, more generic stuff Johnson wrote. I don't think Carrie pulled it off well. I don't think it was especially good after Carrie got knocked out in the movie and Poe had to play off Laura Dern. But they were clearly trying to move Poe toward being more of a Leader. Just was clunky.

I do think that Johnson tried to push Ren massively forward from where he was in Force Awakens. That seemed to be one of his major efforts: Ren, unlike Vader, wasn't willing to sit back and be a job boy for a Master. He wasn't a stable person, but he certainly had some goals that revolved around himself rather than what his Boss wanted. Add in that Rey intrigued him and he was trying to figure out what that meant in his goals, so more development. Again, it was clunky as none of these three movies are among the best written movies in terms of dialogue, but let's also be honest that the original trilogy had tons of clunky /hokey / poor dialogue that was largely saved by great editing.

I do agree that the interplay with the secondary characters is poor. There really was just one secondary human character developed in the first two movies, and JJ tossed her aside in the third movie. The rest were just extras. Even Chewie was largely an extra, even though he got to go on the adventures and was put in peril.

Exception in the third movie was C3PO. I thought he was totally dated and useless in Force and Last Jedi. They actually gave him good stuff here, he played a role, was willing to make a sacrifice. The writing for him as solid relatively speaking, and Anthony Daniels delivered his lines about as well as he ever has. I was happy with what they did with him.

Quote:
It did seem like a movie cut badly. The pace felt like it was 2 1/2 hours of battles. Films need pacing. Slow it down, then speed it up. Down make so many quick cuts. What they did was just throw things at you.

Yeah, I think I made a comment about it being long but not exactly dragging. They kept pushing it forward. But there also was my comment that there felt like another 60 minutes of explanation for stuff that was left on the screenwriting floor that they couldn't be bothered with. Part of the bad cutting was before they even started shooting - it was at the writing level.

Quote:
They created new characters & didn't used ones made up in the last movie.

The use of Rose in this movie was basically Disney saying, "Fuck it... we can't deal with those Racist Fanboys who hated here, so we'll just bail out." They could have given her something of important to f=do that explained why she wasn't on any adventures, then bring her back in at a key important moment with the results of the important thing she was doing off camera that then had a major impact on Our Heroes being able to do their next big thing.

The use of General Hux here was useless. Richard E. Grant as General Pryde was kind of fun in chewing up scenes, but that payoff at the end would have been a nice one for Hux if they'd developed him rather than what they did. Just a waste.

I love Kerri Russell, and bringing her in to give Poe something to do wasn't a bad idea. But there wasn't a great payoff - she showed up in the end battle, but the post battle was disappointing. Take the helmet off, hook up with Poe to imply joining the post-Resistance as a leader with Poe. Something... anything.

Quote:
How many robots did we need.

I kind of liked the new little guy. I do think they pretty much pulled it out of their booking ass that he had the location of the Sith World all along. That got a groan out of me.

Quote:
I lost track of all the light sabers. They gave Rey powers never seen in a Jedi in another movie, because they needed them for the ending.

The hell with Rey... what about:

The Fucking Emperor Turns Off The Juice Of The ENTIRE Rebel Fleet?!?!?

I'm down with ALL of the powers that Rey and Kylo flashed. A lot of them were teased in the prior movies on how the two were "linked".

But the Fucking Emperor pulling new God Like Power out of his fucking imperial ass at the last minute... I wanted to throw shit at the screen.

Quote:
It seem like there were no rules they had to stick to. Everyone came back from the dead. Why didn't Captain Marvel come flying in to save everyone at the end. It was just a bag comic.

Not quite everyone came back from the dead.

The Emperor came back, or never was dead, or whatever the fuck he was. Then he got his body back due to Rey and Kylo's thingy, however lamely that was explained. I'm not going to support any of that, since the fucker should have been DEAD-DEAD and never in this movie.

Carrie died and never came back, except as the standard Force Ghost in the coda.

Luke's "return" was always going to happen, similar to Yoda's Force Ghost coming back. I'll given them credit that they did it in a very limited fashion on Ahch-To. I thought the light saber spot and the X-Wing spot were both excellent call backs. I'm okay with this.

The special cameo... that seemed be Kylo arguing with Kylo, with the good side of him being in the form of our Special Cameo. I'm pretty okay with that, and think it's frankly the best scene of the whole movie.

Kylo wasn't dead when Rey impaled him, but in a pretty bad way. Rey just "healed" him similar as she did with the monster earlier. Bit of "Life Force" there.

I don't think Rey was actually dead because her body didn't vannish like Luke's did, or Leia's did, or Kylo's did. I really wish they made the more explicit with Kylo saying something like, "Hang on for just a moment... I'm here." Then do what he did - heel her, but it taking all of his Life Force and dying as he did.

I am a bit disappointed that he wasn't there in the coda with Luke and Leia.

Quote:
I though Driver gave a good performance, that made you forget the wimp jerk from the last movie. The stuff with Rey kind of worked for me, but the ending . I don't know.

I thought Driver was vastly better her than he had been in the prior movies. I totally agree with the comment you made earlier that Ridley was better as well. I don't especially like what they did with her family, but Ridley was busting her ass with what she was given.

Quote:
The stuff about killing the Emperor making you the Emperor is so much shit. It goes back to the crap in THE RETURN OF THE JEDI, where Luke's hate will turn him into the bad guy. It is so much shit, Jedi's are mass murders. They got there little swords & they kill people. So Rey just stands there knowing she become bad if she does . or if she doesn't. So as she stands thinking & trying to make a decision (like my wife never being able to decide where we are going to eat), I'm thinking....come on Driver I'm getting bored with this. Then it goes back & forth. Until it's over. Seems like I had seen it all before, but it was shorter.

What's funny is that they totally ignore this in the end. I mean... she does kill the Emperor, and she doesn't become the Emperor. So... it was just JJ trying to re-create the Return of the Jedi stuff (which was total shit at the time), and in the end it didn't mean shit.

You see why I was ripping on JJ in my original post? The guy has no creativity, and is a shitty booker. :)

Quote:
But it couldn't flow, because #8 forces them to start over and to just do things to cover the mistakes of #8.

8 didn't force them to start over. At the end of 8, Kylo was the lead heel and had pretty much wiped out the Resistance. Nothing forced them to turn Kylo into a subordinate of Some Big Bad Guy. Let him be the lead heel, don't worry about making him do a face turn... I mean...

This Is The Fucker Who Kill HAN SOLO In Cold Blood

I don't need him to turn face. That's just a rehash of the shitty face turn of Vader in Return of the Jedi rather than staying a bad ass who got his in the end. Fuck that shit.

Luke's big "I was wrong" comment? Johnson already had Luke cop to being wrong by sacrificing himself in Last Jedi.

Snoke's dead? Who gives a shit. Johnson set up them going somewhere Lucas never had the balls to go: Vader killing his Master and taking over as The Big Bad Guy as the total Dark Side of the Force... only to fail. We had Kylo set up for that.

Instead, JJ went candy ass and needed someone More Evil (actually the same evil... the Fucking Emperor), and Kylo got to be redeemed. Candy fucking ass.

I can't think of anything they did in this movie that "corrected" Last Jedi in a good way.

Quote:
So it's a movie with problems, but all of them had problems. People just didn't want to see them. I remember #4 with John, and we were having so much fun dumping on it, that the crowd was about to lynch us. #3 was one of the biggest disappointments of my movie life, after the promise of #2. I like sword fights & space ships flying around, but there wasn't much there. #3 stuck so bad that Lucas didn't make another for years. I think we forget they were kid's movies.

I never liked #3, and it wasn't even the Ewoks. As I've said since it came out, it was the Dark Force Powered Emperor turning Vader into a jobber character that ruined it for me. There was a lot about it that wasn't all that good, but that was the worst for me. And that character had been shitty on all five movies that he played a large role in. :)

Quote:
In my eyes this movie makes #8 seem better. It did do that. Made 8 seem like it lead to something. I don't know. I think everyone is happy it's over, and they at least got a movie done. It wasn't too terrible. They can pretend everything is cool & their reputations are safe. Now they can go on vacation & think about making a real movie.

#8 was a better movie. It has major balls, which is something that none of the other eight movies had. It was willing to say that these aren't a bunch of cardboard characters, but instead ones that have a lot of flaws, most of them self made. Force Awakens (which I liked) and #9 (which I don't much like) go the route of cardboard.

Quote:
And Disney dumps Star Wars to TV to get their new channel rolling.

They will come back to making movies. Too much money is on the line.

But I think they will go the route of an Ant-Man or a Dr. Strange, starting with something smaller than the massive movies that these 5 newer ones have been. Also a movie where they are less constrained by the past like these five have been.

In hindsight, Solo was a massive mistake. I agree with the earlier comments that Han is Ford, no one really wants to see a non-Ford in the role, and it's extremely tough to pull it off. While it seems like a "safe" bet, the pressure was huge.

They had a whole 20+ years between the end of Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens. It's a massive time span where they could have set a smaller movie in some corner of the rebuilding Galaxy to tell the story of some entirely new Hero / Heroes who have no contact with the Skywalker-Solo mainline. Just tell a freaking story of a corner say 5 years after the collapse of the Empire and the attempt to rebuild vs the attempt of Some Bad Guys trying to fill the Post-Empire void. It doesn't need to have a massive epic Space and Land battle. Go smaller scale. Think Spiderman Homecoming coming after the large scale of Civil War - your neighborhood Heroes.

Then if it plays well, you have a new sandbox to play in. If gets big enough, you could have that lead show up older, wiser for a good supporting / cameo in #9.

Again, and not to come across as a MCU mark, it remains amazing what the MCU was able to do across 20+ movies. Star Wars is *easier*, and they screwed it up.

Of course there is too much money to be made to not re-think it and come back.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major problem with 8 is that the director let very little or nothing for the big last movie. Everything was resolved before what was supposed to be the big blow off in the last movie. The Jedi was the cause of all the evil & Rey's family was nothing & the killing of the lead villian was all Johnson on his own. The tone was different that all the other Star War film which were really made for kids. The 2nd film of 3, is suppose to lead into 3. The most famous was THE EMPIRER STRICKS BACK. He didn't think that was his job.

It was too much for the guy who was going to #9, but cause he had to create something he didn't sign up for. Hamill refused to do another because Skywalker got twisted all to hell. JJ got a movie made & it was an attempt to go back to want was planed before the first movie. It's a mess.

What ends up is the people who like 8 don't like 9. And it just ends up a mess that nobody likes. It's not good. But the got the film in on time & it looks to make a billion or so.

I liked Driver beating Rey in the sword fight. But he starts feeling like a good guy & she kills him & then uses her powers to save him, later he dies again & she bring him back but that kills her & he saves her, before the power runs out & he dies. Doesn't Palpatine get killed by Driver & not Rey. I was taken in all the drama & can't remember every great moment.

Why did Ridley kiss Driver before he died. So she was in love with this stinking mass murder? Was Daisy such a bad kisser that he died? What was the deal with Ford going back (from the dead) and forgiving him for killing him. It must have been a Christian movie, where you can be forgiven for any fucking thing, if you say your sorry. Probably made Trump feel good.

I thought Richard Grant should have stuck around for the next movie in 3 or 4 years. Now he's burnt all to hell. Wait....we can bring him back from the...

John your right...there is enough bad stuff in this movie...to hate from all different directions. And I gave it ***1/4--- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like movies with sword fights & movies about Popes, so I enjoyed THE TWO POPES. It was interesting & fun and no one tried to convert anyone. Two guys drinking, talking & watching football. Everything is well done. *** 1/2 Watched on TV. I thought it was THE TWO POPS, so that disappointed me a little & kind of tricking me into watching.---Steve Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots to sort out between what Steve and John discussed, but there's one thing I think really needed to be considered when it came to doing a new Star Wars trilogy.

You really needed that one person who had a vision for how all three movies would go, then bring in the directors, writers, etc., who could go in and figure out how it's all going to come together.

They had with the original trilogy, in which George Lucas had the vision and mostly laid out what he wanted in New Hope, but then Irvin Kershner came along and gave Empire Strikes Back a tighter direction with an ending in which the heels prevail, then Richard Marquand did a good job wrapping things up, even if not everything sticks the landing.

Compare that to the prequel trilogy, in which Lucas is controlling everything and it comes off clunky in the first film, just plain bad in the second, and so inconsistent in the third (bad scene followed by good scene, on and on it goes). That one could have really benefited from directors and writers who could figure out how to take Lucas' vision there and make it work better.

And then to the latest trilogy, in which there was no common vision, it's just each director taking it where he thinks it should go.

Lucas wasn't going to be around for the latest trilogy, so I guess you could give it to Abrams and let him lay out the direction he had in mind, he gets to director Force Awakens, then let Johnson come in to subvert some expectations while sticking to the overall vision, then bring another director who can tie up everything.

Instead, we get Abrams and Johnson each doing their own thing -- and I think each of them did good things even if not everything works -- and then bring in another director to do his thing, but he won't undo everything Johnson laid out, and so they go back to Abrams, who goes back to a lot of what he did in Force Awakens, likely just pulling stuff out to see if it works and nothing that he actually laid out to begin with.

That's really what the problem is with the latest trilogy. It's nothing like what Feige did with MCU, in which he had a general idea laid out from the start, then as movies got underway, he turned things over to those directors and writers to fill in the details.

With MCU, not every movie works. There's good movies, there's bad movies, there's so-so movies and there are a couple of great movies in there, concluded with a film that ties up as many threads as possible, while leaving a few things open and still finding a way to play to the fanboys.

With Star Wars, it's the same thing, but you only have a common vision with Lucas' first six films. That's not the case with the latest three, so you have an overarching storyline that isn't cohesive, with each director and writing staff doing their own thing from the start.

Not saying a common vision would make the latest trilogy a collection of three great films, but at least you have cohesiveness, meaning you might be a little more forgiving about what doesn't work.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right on. Maybe I didn't say that, but that's what I was trying to get across.

I think they should get rid of the idea of doing things or movies in three's. Do one at a time. --- Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw STARWARS again in IMAX last night...just to give it another chance. Feel the same...maybe it's worst. Just a mess of a movie. Saw a bunch of other things I over looked the first time.

So you start a space battle. In outer space, in a vacuum. Tell me I didn't see them riding to the fight on those hairy type horses. Really? I know it looks cool in the trailed, but really? Explain that to me please. They've got robots everywhere...couldn't they have just rode scooters? Like the kids on my bock. Then after the 10 seconds of film time, they disappear. Maybe the storm troopers were animal lovers, like everyone today, and they knew they wouldn't shoot at horses. Maybe because it was The Hobbits big scene? Where did all those horses shit on the ship? In the Wookie rest room?

So the Emperor's new space ships all can destroy planets.....so why did they need a death star in the other 8 movies. Isn't that the big thing the death star could do? Did we need so many battle cruisers? And so many people in war spaceship coming to the rescue? Really?

At the finish, after all those ships have landed & everyone is hugging each other & thanking them.....shouldn't they have instead been asking them" "Where were you dick faces at the end of the last movie???"

I hear R2D2 is refusing to make anymore Starwars movies because all the new robots were stealing his lines. They steal scenes like Steve McQueen. --- Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished watching the WATCHMEN series HBO aired late this year.

Really good show. They did a fascinating job examining racial issues and working the attacks on the Tulsa neighborhoods into the Watchmen lore.

You do have to understand a few things about the original Watchmen graphic novel to follow what's taking place -- otherwise, you're going to be asking yourself why Vietnam became part of the United States and why Robert Redford is President (no, Redford doesn't actually appear).

But they did a good job tying the events of Tulsa to what was happening in the world of Watchmen in 2019, while drawing some parallels to what's happening in today's environment.

I do think they missed out on examining the role of Internet and social media in the rise of extremism and some people embracing white supremacy. You can't really discuss that in today's terms without looking at how technology has made it easier for extremism to spread.

Still, it's a really good show that explores racial tensions well, while keeping a few things morally ambiguous (as the Watchmen graphic novel sometimes did) and finding a way to work some of the original Watchmen into the series, without taking away from the new characters introduced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 80 of 84

Jump to: